Best performance track legal exhaust

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
All I said was I'd rather my exhaust fit, not drone and pass noise tests for the sake of 3-5bhp not 30.
Exactly what I said as well.

My car with a 2.5" or whatever the Toda is made more power than Midnights with a 3" and I'm still on the standard manifold. Okay it's and FD2 and not DC5 and it's only 3 bhp or whatever but it's motorway friendly, fits like a glove and is nice and light.

There's no way on earth I'd swap it out for a couple of bhp and I mainly use my car on track.

Midnight

Advanced Member
While I agree 30bhp for us anyway was mainly due to the Kakimoto, we were able to achieve more power than the original map which had the RM01A. A lot of variables, but as the Gruppe M/Mugen offer similar improvements one makes the assumption it was down to the exhaust, I use the word assumption as tongue in cheek, unlike many it can be backed by proof.

So I think it's fair to say the 3-5bhp is from RM01A to a 3". Although I do agree, many of the SF exhausts don't fit how I'd like, that's not saying other 3" will not fit. I also believe Indi's SF fit perfectly fine.

Not really bothered what OP goes/went with but it does go to show how biased some members are. Question was 'best' people stating RM01A simply didn't read or blatantly overlooked the question...

Midnight

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Exactly what I said as well.

My car with a 2.5" or whatever the Toda is made more power than Midnights with a 3" and I'm still on the standard manifold. Okay it's and FD2 and not DC5 and it's only 3 bhp or whatever but it's motorway friendly, fits like a glove and is night and light.

There's no way on earth I'd swap it out for a couple of bhp and I mainly use my car on track.
Apples and oranges now Chris...

On another thread you said it's quicker than the DC5 in original form against your modified one. While we're at it, should we compare 3" on an Evo too 😂

SamDC5

Advanced Member
If you're going to go 3" you're better off having a 3" manifold to go with it to get the every little BHP out of it as that's what seems to matter now.

"The best performance track legal exhaust"

Let's disregard everything but power as that's all that seems to matter on this thread. Let's not talk about weight, fitment or noise. You know, the other things you want from an exhaust.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
My point is if my shiny new exhaust came and I had chop and weld it I wouldn't be very happy! I read through the entirety of your SF review and that's been enough to put me off mate. I'm also talking fitment because of the ARB clearance issues you suffered. Is the couple of extra BHP worth the agro? That's the point I'm putting across.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Shall we start a thread: best fitting exhaust. You can offer some actual proof then Sam ;)
You need be a qualified exhaust fitter for that I'm afraid

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
On another thread you said it's quicker than the DC5 in original form against your modified one.
I don't recall ever saying that. If anything from what I remember, my DC5 'felt' faster than my FD2 does. That said I haven't really been able to compare since the Toda went on as I've not been on circuit and the road conditions don't really suit fast driving right now.

Midnight

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
My point is if my shiny new exhaust came and I had chop and weld it I wouldn't be very happy! I read through the entirety of your SF review and that's been enough to put me off mate. I'm also talking fitment because of the ARB clearance issues you suffered. Is the couple of extra BHP worth the agro? That's the point I'm putting across.
Yes, well documented we had some problems and if OP would of asked 'best exhaust available' I wouldn't of stated a 3". However as we're on about performance I'm not sure droning,weight,fitment is relevant. I would need to search but while on about fitment, I'm sure Indi RM01A/Kakimoto fouled his ARB also.

" RM01A use to sit basically on the bar with no clearance. This issue was only addressed when I had the custom Solid fab exhaust made so that it clears the Progress RARB".

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
Yes, well documented we had some problems and if OP would of asked 'best exhaust available' I wouldn't of stated a 3". However as we're on about performance I'm not sure droning,weight,fitment is relevant. I would need to search but while on about fitment, I'm sure Indi RM01A/Kakimoto fouled his ARB also.
My idea being the best exhaust is taking everything into account. The 3" are best for making power as proved by dyno charts. However if I was to ever track my DC5 would I be in any rush to rip the RM01A off and go for a 3"? Probably not. I'd still recommend it to the OP because of how easily it is to live with and of course our favourite word fitment. If you want the extra 5BHP but run the risk of things mentioned above then that's up to whoever.

I know he said he did, and he said his RM was almost touching the stock ARB while mine is very clear of it as there is some movement in the entire system so you can seat it where you want it to sit and tighten it up. It's not hard to do and I certainly wouldn't have changed exhaust without trying to move it around.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Why is everyone jumping on the Chris at EFI bandwagon I swear he's only been known about the last 10 months 😛😜

Disclaimer: In no way am I making adverse comments about his mapping. Just bringing some fun to this morbid thread.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Why is everyone jumping on the Chris at EFI bandwagon I swear he's only been known about the last 10 months

Disclaimer: In no way am I making adverse comments about his mapping. Just bringing some fun this morbid thread.
I was thinking exactly the same.

It's a cool wagon though... I'm provisionally booked in

Midnight

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Why is everyone jumping on the Chris at EFI bandwagon I swear he's only been known about the last 10 months
Disclaimer: In no way am I making adverse comments about his mapping. Just bringing some fun this morbid thread.
That's because most people on here have never taken their Honda blinkers off and ventured to another brand!

Been known for high performance Renaults for years.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Midnight said:
That's because most people on here have never taken their Honda blinkers off and ventured to another brand!

Been known for high performance Renaults for years.
Probably explains it then. No one on here is silly enough to buy a French car 🤣😛

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BigCarlo

Chrismartin said:
Probably explains it then. No one on here is silly enough to buy a French car

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Haha I used to be a Renault mechanic ive seen first hand the bullshit problems they have. But in there defence the RS ones are the most reliable but are still shit to work on

2ndy

Advanced Member
Standard system with the silencers cut out is very good for power and noise

Mattz

Advanced Member
My Tanabe exhaust is F***ed so I need to replace it at some point. The baffle is rattling and I'm pretty sure it's now being very restrictive.

If I go for a tegiwa manifold and 3" SF will this be track legal? Might just chuck the standard exhaust back on for now and cut out the silencers.

BigCarlo

Mattz said:
My Tanabe exhaust is F***ed so I need to replace it at some point. The baffle is rattling and I'm pretty sure it's now being very restrictive.

If I go for a tegiwa manifold and 3" SF will this be track legal? Might just chuck the standard exhaust back on for now and cut out the silencers.
I dont see why not send them a question about it. I have a dc sports mani but unfortunately I dont have the standard exhaust