Brake advice

Dan34

Advanced Member
k20_irf said:
Blanks are fine. No need for grooves or silly holes.
I don't agree with this, grooves help keep the pad surface clean and I've noticed a decent improvement on trackdays.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I'd love that TGM F50 kit, looks amazing.
Agree they look tasty.

Dave - Not in the market for a setup (at the moment). How much it cost all in?

Gordon

k20_irf

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
I don't agree with this, grooves help keep the pad surface clean and I've noticed a decent improvement on trackdays.
Your right it does help with De glazing the pads. However vibration can occur under alot of Heat due to the grooves and doesnt give a nice pedal feel. I'm talking from personal experiences here. I know few people have experienced the same. But others may say otherwise. Tbh the mtec are great but have far too many grooves on the disc! So I use their blanks.
If my pads glaze over, A few hard stops solves it :)

Dan34

Advanced Member
k20_irf said:
Your right it does help with De glazing the pads. However vibration can occur under alot of Heat due to the grooves and doesnt give a nice pedal feel. I'm talking from personal experiences here. I know few people have experienced the same. But others may say otherwise. Tbh the mtec are great but have far too many grooves on the disc!
I agree in terms of a slight pedal feel difference but overall I much prefer them to OEM blanks! All personal preference though.

k20_irf

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
I agree in terms of a slight pedal feel difference but overall I much prefer them to OEM blanks! All personal preference though.
You using mtec grooves Dan?

Dan34

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
The Hawk's a lot better than the Ferodo's Dan?
Much better, but more harsh on the disks and make a hell of a racket at slow speeds around town, but that doesn't bother me too much haha

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Just been reading up on them and they sound quite potent, a bit too potent for the road and as you say noisy too.

Supposed to be excellent on track though. If and when I come to mine I'll probably opt for the Dixcel M or Z type.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
Much better, but more harsh on the disks and make a hell of a racket at slow speeds around town, but that doesn't bother me too much haha
I'll be changing pads soon and debating whether I'll use DS2500s or not.

Don't get me wrong loved them BUT given the power and intended use once I'm healed I feel this may cause issues.

Gutted those carbon Lorraine's sold before I jumped on them though might have to have a chat with my dealer friend for some ;)

Gordon

Dan34

Advanced Member
You won't go wrong with HP+'s, the braking force is incredible really compared to DS2500's.

k20_irf

Advanced Member
Cl rc5+ are incredible. Less dusty than ds2500 and sharper bite when cold and super sharp with heat in them. Not kind to discs mind you.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
k20_irf said:
Cl rc5+ are incredible. Less dusty than ds2500 and sharper bite when cold and super sharp with heat in them. Not kind to discs mind you.
This I have heard but thought about combining the rear oem discs with different / OE pad and my Js racing front discs with carbon Lorraine's RC5+ which I think will compliment very well given my engine setup.

All trial and error though but good to see experiences come into it. Definitely helping my friend looking into his next steps for brake setups ;)

Gordon

mil1lion

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
never heard of this make, have you had them on long, are they destroying pads or do they seem ok for the long run?

also where did you get them from, google isnt proving very useful lol

EDIT: seen they are around £250 a set... think i will stick to oem
Had them over a year now and still good as new. They were supplied and fitted by TDI

MrRy

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
This^^
They won't be any better, just look different.
Agreed. Spend your money on pads and fluid. I'm running ds2500 and they are good/great when warm. Once I've killed them off at Croft I'll be moving onto CL5+

integraleo

Advanced Member
Cl5+ pads can pretty much endo the car! Best stopping power I've had in any car... However as my car is a daily pad pick up was a bitch and I had terrible brake judder after a while. Had pads and discs re skimmed and even bought grooved mtec discs to try and keep pad surface clean but still done it. Loved the pads but would only recommend them for track,I was told the pad pick up was braking too softly.

jrscho

Advanced Member
Teegwa said:
Agree they look tasty.

Dave - Not in the market for a setup (at the moment). How much it cost all in?

Gordon
I'm think they were about 2.5-3k... Which is crazy! But look awesome..

Rom

Advanced Member
I run Mtec grooved and dimpled all round. WIth Project Mu HC+ fronts , NS400 rears.
They are very good. The HC+ are a recommendation from a DC2 friend, who tracks it a lot, inc trips to the ring.

As said, they are genuine discs. Fronts are Brembo stamped, rears are Honda stamped.
The grooves and dimples are mostly for show im case. They look nice, and dont cost mega money.

Pads are where most of the stopping power comes from. Grooves will help clean the pad, pads dont really vent these days, so its not so much for that anymore. They will wear the pads faster though, and create more dust.
Drilled are more for cooling, but are prone to cracking. Hence i went for dimpled, the look without the down side.

Ive said this before, but id like to see back to back comparisons on just discs, with original pads used. When you fit new discs and pads, of course the brakes feel better.
But what improvement do the discs give to force / coefficient and distance. And what is just coming from the new pads.