Brake advice

MrRy

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Cl5+ pads can pretty much endo the car! Best stopping power I've had in any car... However as my car is a daily pad pick up was a bitch and I had terrible brake judder after a while. Had pads and discs re skimmed and even bought grooved mtec discs to try and keep pad surface clean but still done it. Loved the pads but would only recommend them for track,I was told the pad pick up was braking too softly.
That's interesting to know. I actually just checked my rear brakes as I'm at Croft in a week and the discs were majorly worn and the 'unknown' pads had around 5mm left so ordered some new OEM rear discs and pads from Cox as they have 22% off at the minute. I don't want to go for a better pad initially on the back as the bias will throw me out.

I'd rather stick the CL5+'s both front and back at the same time, and if they do suffer pickup like yours I will keep them for trackdays only :) OEM is usually more than good enough for the road.

Rom

Advanced Member
Will the rears get enough heat in them to work at full potential ?

Is it not generally the norm to run different spec pads front and rear.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I only had Cl5 pads on the front. Just oem on rears. Even on track the rears don't need upgrading.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Ideally you want to have the same spec pad on the front and back. From how it was explained to me, most cars from factory come with a slight additional bias towards front pads being used over the rear in terms of the 'best braking performance' (so factory the bias will use an additional 10% force at the front because regular joe deals with it better as less squirm on hard braking).

If you keep OEM on the back and say, CL5+ on the front you're having to get those nice expensive track pads to work even harder as the rear OEMs will give up, so your wear rate will increase on the fronts and you will decrease braking performance % further - of course upgraded fronts will still stop you much better, but not as best as possible. Ideally you want the same spec pads on the front and back and a bias valve to increase the back bias by an additional 10%.

Take what I've said with a pinch of salt though :) I don't know motorsport science, it will be different from car to car and it depends how the factory set up the car. But that's what I go on. I've gone for OEM on the rear as although the DS2500's are good on the front, I don't feel they are that much better than OEM front pads. But everyone keeps praising the CL5+'s so I will be getting the full set in a few months time.

Cheers
Ry

p1tse

Advanced Member
Interesting read
Just been on cox motors and full set of discs and pads oem comes in at £300 for reference

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Interesting read
Just been on cox motors and full set of discs and pads oem comes in at £300 for reference
Yeah I replaced my rear setup recently (due to not driving it much and needing doing asap) and the discs and pads cost me £134 iirc.

Gordon

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
You should balance compounds front to rear unless you are trying to achieve something in particular.. IE. drifters runs rear pad with very high initial bite to allow the tears to lock on command etc.

On track you will certainly make the front work a lot harder if you are running a track pad up front and OEM in the rear. It's much harder to notice fade on the rear compared to the front.

James-T

Advanced Member
I run DS2500's front & rear for this very reason. I used to just use OEMs on the rear till I was coming off tracks and the rears would be smoking and fronts weren't.

MrRy

Advanced Member
James T said:
I run DS2500's front & rear for this very reason. I used to just use OEMs on the rear till I was coming off tracks and the rears would be smoking and fronts weren't.
Yup. :) Agree with the above. My OEM rear pads are a short term quick fix.

Why cheap out when getting the right rears will decrease wear rates all round and give you better braking performance. Sadly technical experience is hard to find on forums as knowledge = money as it's intellectual property, and often people won't read the bit that all track pads state they should not be used with a mixture of OEM pads.

When it comes to braking, car forums are often fine for feedback, but don't base your decision on them. Look at manufacturers recommendation as they aren't purely a sales pitch...

RobS

Advanced Member
Having read all of that im in a right quandary as to what to do now. The car currently has worn oem all round and I am tracking it in July, but it is also my daily drive until March next year when the wife returns to work following her maternity.

I was going to buy mtec dimpled and grooved discs and ds2500 pads for the front and oem's for the rear as its affordable and should offer me more braking performance than I have now. I would love to be able to buy a dixcel full setup but the cost is prohibitive.

is their a middle ground for discs between oem and premium brands?

Dan34

Advanced Member
RobS said:
I was going to buy mtec dimpled and grooved discs and ds2500 pads for the front and oem's for the rear as its affordable and should offer me more braking performance than I have now.
Do that, it will be fine for what you need!

integraleo

Advanced Member
As a pad alternative I run ebc yellowstuff pads that offer the same braking performance as the ds2500 pads. Had both but don't expect it to be 50% better than oem because they just aren't. I'd say more like 15% better.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'm going to get Dixcel Z pads on mine I've decided after much research. When they need replacing of course. That and some uprated TGM brake lines.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers Burn.

Don't think I need them yet but will be looking to upgrade from the Brembo OEM's soon as they're awful.

These sounds like a good pad to go for.

Rom

Advanced Member
Oems on rear i wouldnt use if running Uprated fronts. But i also wouldnt use the same rears as fronts.
Ive always ran higher spec than oem, but lower than front on the rears. The rear brakes do a lot less work, generate a lot less heat. So struggle to keep a high spec set of pads at optimal temp.