Brake advice

dotty

Advanced Member
This is what I use, a great pad for road and track. Available at TGM.

ek4

Advanced Member
Project mu hc+ are good can pick front and rear pads up for about 250 to 300 i love them although more a track pad than road but do work well on road

Ds2500 hate them i avoided using them for several years but regrettingly tried a set removed after 2 weeks road use people seem to love them but cheap price reflects them overall in my experience

Tried a few hawk pads about 5 or 6 years ago quite good tbh and good value hp+ are really good but do eat discs i just didnt like initial bite of them

Endless stuff in my experience is good as well

Theres too much out there to choose from tbh and pad choice is a personal preference item as people want different characteristics from pads

James-T

Advanced Member
MU HC+ are outstanding. Had them on my last 5 Type R's, but running DS2500's now. Will see what they are like on track in comparison.

dotty

Advanced Member
I have some barely used mu front pads in my garage that I keep forgetting to put up for sale :)

Rob.

Advanced Member
Always use uprated rear pads along with larger brakes on the front as the rear OEM pads overheated an broke up on track !

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i ran oem pads in the rear with race pads up front for a couple of seasons of time attack with no problems, however in those days we did the qualy sessions then, only a warm up lap, timed lap and cool down lap, so they needed to get up to temp very quickly, i found the oem rears were great and never had any braking issues.

most of the racecars at TGM run a slightly uprated rear pad, but nothing like the fronts (btcc sized brembos) and dont have problems, when we did uprate the rear calipers on the FD2 for the 24 hr race, the special 'endurance spec' pads wore out at hour 23 so had to change them which is an arse when everything is glowing, the front pads are 27mm thick and easilly last the race. the oem rears and ds pads lasted longer the year before :(

so , like most things it depends what you are trying to acheive, if you were sprinting, pad choice would be different to vtec challenge, if you are doing regular trackdays and lots of road miles, i would have a second set of discs and pads kept just for track and swap them when i changed to my track tyres, it only takes 5 mins at most to swap the disc if you regularly remove the caliper

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Back with another question.

Would upgrading the brake lines to TGM ones improve the braking feel on the OEM discs and pads without the need to invest in new, uprated pads?

Can anyone confirm?

James-T

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Back with another question.

Would upgrading the brake lines to TGM ones improve the braking feel on the OEM discs and pads without the need to invest in new, uprated pads?

Can anyone confirm?
Yes the pedal will be slightly firmer.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
anyone have any feedback on the dixcel stuff that burn motorsport sell, need some pads to go with new oem discs, and wasnt impressed with the ds2500 thats were on the car when i got it!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks James.

Think I will do this instead of getting pads and see if that and some new fluid will improve the braking.

You've answered my question so thank you. :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
anyone have any feedback on the dixcel stuff that burn motorsport sell, need some pads to go with new oem discs, and wasnt impressed with the ds2500 thats were on the car when i got it!
I've asked the same question over on their trader page but no one's responded. Think it was Beppe that's bought some but I could be wrong.

As an alternative and slightly cheaper, look at Hawk pads. The Hawk HPS ones look quite decent and they're cheaper than the Dixcel and get a good review. Still think the Dixcel will be a good pad though too.

James-T

Advanced Member
I'm surprised that people don't really like the DS2500's. My last track day I gave them some right abuse and they basically laughed at me asking "is that all you've got?", I swear they would have lasted all day till they ran out - not a single hint of fade.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Thanks James.

Think I will do this instead of getting pads and see if that and some new fluid will improve the braking.

You've answered my question so thank you. :)
Add a brake stopper as well.

It makes an improvement to brake feel. Little things add up.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Already got one mate, doesn't make any difference that I've noticed anyway. lol

Thanks all the same.

MrRy

Advanced Member
Brake stoppers (and other items) are pointless on the road IMO. Braking modulation is important for track or time attack where you need a repeatable and concise feel to improve your capabilities. Why I would need that on the road I have no idea.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Already got one mate, doesn't make any difference that I've noticed anyway. lol

Thanks all the same.
MrRy said:
Brake stoppers (and other items) are pointless on the road IMO. Braking modulation is important for track or time attack where you need a repeatable and concise feel to improve your capabilities. Why I would need that on the road I have no idea.
I noticed a difference for the better.

Maybe placebo, but that's just as important i.e. being comfortable/confident in the car.

Mark_teg

Staff member
I noticed better feel with master cylinder brace too!. Not a 'throw you through the windscreen' difference, but we are talking about a brace here.

The idea behind it works IMO and for £40 you can't complain :)

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've noticed zero difference but then again I'm a complete whinge bag ha ha!

My thinking is, many have said the OEM Brembos are good and by upgrading the lines it will improve the feel but then again for the price I'd be shelling on lines (£100) I may as well just get new pads for the front. Or do people think just upgrading to the TGM lines with some fresh fluid will be suffice?

What's so good about braided lines anyway, what exactly do they do to improve the braking?

Mark_teg

Staff member
TGM lines are (or were!) £65 IIRC.

Braided lines are stronger than standard rubber lines so 'bulge' less, so in theory transfer more of the pressure to the calipers and less sponge in the pedal. Obviously changing the fluid at the same time helps too! (you might as well as it'll need a top up anyway).

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
i went from oem setup to braided lines and ds2500's with rbf600 and if i'm honest the pedal feels no different

When the disks and pads are warm then the car stops much better on ds2500's, annoyingly they still suffer with real bad brake squeal at low speed.