Daily Drive - Bilstein B16 Coilovers or OEM Springs

nsxer

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
My DC5 has Spoon Springs and a fast road setup and to be honest, its pretty horrible. The handling is great but the springs crash, bang, rattle and clonk all the time and its just getting too annoying now. Tom at TGM warned me they would do it but as the car is possibly going back to being a daily if I keep it (maybe) then I might as well enjoy it.
I have the Spoon progressive springs running on OEM shocks and have car fully geo'ed fully Polly bushed on the chassisand running standard rims. I don't suffer from any of these symptoms at all.
Is these problems actually down to the springs actually not being fitted correctly in the 1st place. My car was set up professionally by Momentum Motorsport in Lisburn

Our roads are total crap here and even though the car has stiffened considerably since being set up there are no crashes, bangs or strange noises from my setup. The car has recently had a session on track and no issues have arisen etc. Very odd these comments on these springs. Seems to be I need to count myself very lucky. The guys in Momentum were happy with the build quality and fitting of the springs as I was keen to ask considering the opinions raised on this forum upon reading them after I had purchased an unused set from a forum member here.

My car is a facelift and know there is a difference in the spring design so has other FL Owner's with Spoon springs suffer these symptoms?

Linus27

Advanced Member
nsxer said:
I have the Spoon progressive springs running on OEM shocks and have car fully geo'ed fully Polly bushed on the chassisand running standard rims. I don't suffer from any of these symptoms at all.
Is these problems actually down to the springs actually not being fitted correctly in the 1st place. My car was set up professionally by Momentum Motorsport in Lisburn
Our roads are total crap here and even though the car has stiffened considerably since being set up there are no crashes, bangs or strange noises from my setup. The car has recently had a session on track and no issues have arisen etc. Very odd these comments on these springs. Seems to be I need to count myself very lucky. The guys in Momentum were happy with the build quality and fitting of the springs as I was keen to ask considering the opinions raised on this forum upon reading them after I had purchased an unused set from a forum member here.
My car is a facelift and know there is a difference in the spring design so has other FL Owner's with Spoon springs suffer these symptoms?
Apparently the Spoon Springs are known to rattle and bang a bit. It does vary depending on the road. I've had no problem on track with them but then generally race tracks are super smooth. However our roads are terrible here. Sometimes it can just be the odd clunk and on other roads it can be like someone is shaking a bag of marbles. Certain roads I know now and it sounds like the car is falling apart lol

AneesR

I thought Meister R were a really good brand and developed in the UK? They have lots of praise on the S2000 owners club and on MLR (Evo owners club).

nsxer

Advanced Member
Unless I have no idea about my car I do not suffer any of these symptoms... if I did they would immediately be removed and an alternative or back to OEM would be made. I detest any creaks or bangs from my cars simply could not live with it. I expect some compromises when doing a sports setup but due to my enjoyment of ICE etc as you will see shortly when I get a thread up and my car back I could not stand for that and simply turning up the volume is not a fix!
50213162822__606B9F3A-4E05-43F7-AA9B-828D01F1300D.JPG
The guys at Momentum Motorsport must have done miracle work on my chassis setup then ... perhaps the pain of the huge bill has softened now ;)

Fez

Advanced Member
I dont have any of these symptoms with spoon springs/oem shocks either. Are you sure its the springs and not worn bushes, balljoints, top mounts etc?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Nope, had mine on years now with no noises etc. (Spoon) :) i think they are brilliant! Replaced my shock absorbers with brand new oem last October too, that made a world of difference.

Linus27

Advanced Member
I'll talk to Tom at TGM again but he did say when they were fitted that they do rattle.

dave c

400hp K20
Just had a set of B16's fitted to mine on Tom's advice, only driven home in them but they feel much like the eibach coilers that they replaced, which is a good thing.

Will take it for a spirited drive this weekend once all the brakes have bedded in.

Whats the view on adjustment / settings for the road, mine are 5 front and 5 rear at the moment

2ndy

Advanced Member
I have BC racing coilovers in my track car which I sometimes use on the road and they are not one bit crashy and they perform well on track for how much they cost.

I'm in no doubt there are better coilovers out there but I'm tracking my car each time to see/feel for myself where the inprovents need to be made. I get much more satisfaction doing that than just paying someone else to do what they think is best.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
I'll talk to Tom at TGM again but he did say when they were fitted that they do rattle.
I get this issue with mine mate. Tom confirmed it too. I know a few others have had it too.

Unless you put spring sleeves on it or something you'll always get clunks when turning or hitting bumps

spooke

Advanced Member
AneesR said:
I thought Meister R were a really good brand and developed in the UK? They have lots of praise on the S2000 owners club and on MLR (Evo owners club).
Unfortunately as they're made in Taiwan they're automatically excrement. :D

2ndy said:
I have BC racing coilovers in my track car which I sometimes use on the road and they are not one bit crashy and they perform well on track for how much they cost.

I'm in no doubt there are better coilovers out there but I'm tracking my car each time to see/feel for myself where the inprovents need to be made. I get much more satisfaction doing that than just paying someone else to do what they think is best.
+1, it's a shame that this argument always comes up, really it comes down to your budget and your personal view on it.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Except by people on the MLR who know what they're on about.

I've posted this before and I'll copy/paste again:

I take the opinion of people who strip apart and rebuild suspension and are involved in motorsport. Plenty of garages that people on here use will give an unbiased review of coilovers, all brands included.

Same as internet/forum opinion on oil. I put some in and my engine didn't blow so it must be good. No one will bother sending away samples to be tested. Just like no one will strip down a set of coilovers or look at dyno figures of the dampers.

This is about YellowSpeed dampers, someone took some apart on S2KI who knows what they're doing. Basically the same as any mentioned in the chart above.

Well, they're getting good reviews from some - but I'm gonna jump to the other side - I took a kit apart a mate of mine bought at Autosport this year, and the internals weren't impressive both design and quality wise, so I hope they've changed since then, the piston finish was excremente, the wear bands aren't energised, there were burrs on the valve shims and the semi-synth oil was nothing special either - rather thick to compensate for the internal tolerances at a guess.
He was happy with them on the car at the time - maybe they've just got the right valving out of the box - but in pure quality terms they were not really any better than KYB/GAZ/Koni, etc, same straight cut* needles for the adjusters with hysteresis issues and no temperature compensation, double whammy with the cheap oil there tbh.

I will say over the Koni/Gaz, etc, offerings the plating and finish on both the shafts and the bodys is pretty damned good though.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
I'm not going to get too involved with this, one because I don't have much first hand knowledge of the products in question and two because I don't want to detract from the OP or ruin the thread.

This is all meant in the nicest possible way (last thing this is aimed at is to flare anything up). But reading some of your posts Chris (nice name 🖒) it seems that your contradicting yourself. You have in the past knocked people commenting on products without having first hand experience. But then in this thread it would be seem your doing just that (or so it would seem). Have you used yellows peed or Meisters on your car before?

It's all well and good saying you trust these motor sport people. But again that's against what you initially said about commenting on products with no first hand experience.

As spooke said people's perception and needs are so different, based up on what application they are using a product, that you don't want to just go out there slating a product without having used it yourself. Especially when budgets are mentioned.

As mentioned before I'm not having a pop I just feel that the contradiction was happening.

I'll he going for a set of Meisters Rs shortly (CRD+) and I'm confident I'll be happy with them.

2ndy

Advanced Member
An evo and a s2000 are 2 completely different cars though so I don't think the opinion from an evo owner can count towards s2000s or even dc5s. Different cars, different owners.

Everyone has different uses. Some people think they're entering the BTCC when it comes to a track day

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
An evo and a s2000 are 2 completely different cars though so I don't think the opinion from an evo owner can count towards s2000s or even dc5s. Different cars, different owners.

Everyone has different uses. Some people think they're entering the BTCC when it comes to a track day
I have had two Evo's, regularly driven a third (with BCs on, which were pretty dire), I also owned an S2000 so I think I have a fair amount of experience behind the wheel of them.

I'm not going to get too involved with this, one because I don't have much first hand knowledge of the products in question and two because I don't want to detract from the OP or ruin the thread.

This is all meant in the nicest possible way (last thing this is aimed at is to flare anything up). But reading some of your posts Chris (nice name ) it seems that your contradicting yourself. You have in the past knocked people commenting on products without having first hand experience. But then in this thread it would be seem your doing just that (or so it would seem). Have you used yellows peed or Meisters on your car before?

It's all well and good saying you trust these motor sport people. But again that's against what you initially said about commenting on products with no first hand experience.

As spooke said people's perception and needs are so different, based up on what application they are using a product, that you don't want to just go out there slating a product without having used it yourself. Especially when budgets are mentioned.

As mentioned before I'm not having a pop I just feel that the contradiction was happening.

I'll he going for a set of Meisters Rs shortly (CRD+) and I'm confident I'll be happy with them.
I owned a DC5 with D2 coilover on, and have been out in a few cars with Meister R as well as having driven a DC2 with YellowSpeeds on. From what I understand, they're all pretty much the same and made in the same factory with the same items. Just the branding is different.

Having owned DC5 with such a coilover, and then switching straight away to refreshed OEM dampers and Eibach springs, the quality of the ride and feel of the car was much improved. Actually just had someone message me on Facebook asking if I had my OEM suspension for sale still as he's bought a Teg with Meister R's and can't wait to remove them.

I get that some people just want something firmer or to replace tired OEM items and that's fine. As long as the car is low and doesn't clunk then job achieved. But it's these people who then say yeah the product is amazing on forums where the problem lies. One poster in here said he thought Meister R are a UK brand and they have an excellent reputation. Not really true that is it, but that's the power of sales and forums for you.

Do a search on most people who have changed from the cheaper Taiwanese based brands to something more premium and you will see that the general concencus is that these owners are much, much happier.

All I'll say is ring someone like Tom at TGM, Rich at Performance Autoworks and ask them for their honest opinion.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Of course they are going to be much happier. Your going from a well priced coilover to something a lot more expensive.

Just because you have had the money to spend on expensive suspension doesn't mean everyone elses coilovers are cheap shite. Majority of people use these 'cheap' coilovers and have plenty of fun on track and on the road.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Oh and Michael, you'll have more fun on track in your Teg compared to the lotus IMO mate.
Maybe but it is a waste to not make use of it and it is basically a road going track car. I can also continue to do track days with Lotus on Track even if Honda's on Track are falling by the wayside. Plus, I can still do the odd track day in the Honda if I get decent coilovers and still use it comfortably as a daily. Win Win :)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Maybe but it is a waste to not make use of it and it is basically a road going track car. I can also continue to do track days with Lotus on Track even if Honda's on Track are falling by the wayside. Plus, I can still do the odd track day in the Honda if I get decent coilovers and still use it comfortably as a daily. Win Win :)
I have an update from Paul, will message you later on.