DC5 3D Model / Illustration Diary

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I have just bought a new 3D modelling application to enable me to do some freelance work, and felt inspired to model my car as a first project. I have been training in Lightwave for a year or so, and this new package (Modo) is a lot more intuitive.

Only done the wheel and brake assembly so far, but it's pretty accurate so far. There will be a renderer included in the next version of the app, which will be out at the end of this month, so work in progress wireframes will have to do until then.

Hope you like!

pjonline

Massive respect to you for being able to do that shit.
That stuff just goes way over my head!
look forward to seeing more

Suped

Advanced Member
looks really accurate mate. Keep up the good work.... Love to see some wireframes of the teg. Be so cool to use the images. :lol:

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Looks wicked mate! 8)

Is it just me or is the depth a bit wrong? It looks as if the rear circumference is too small.

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Thanks for the replies guys! :D

I used quite a few reference shots to get the size right, so don't fear - the general dimensions are accurate.

Looking at the image, the weirdness is caused by the extreme perspective in that viewport. Does look a bit strange, to say the least!

Can't wait to get some WIP renders going - The stuff I've been doing at work is frankly boring the tits off me! It's been really nice to model something other than a vacuum cleaner!!! LOL!

Crisis

Advanced Member
Looks good. I've tried using Max, Maya, and various other 3d programs but never got the hold of it.

I can do Auto CAD no problems. But 3d baffels me. If I could do it, most cars I like would now be 3d models to say the least.

sh33n

Advanced Member
That looks pretty damn sexy!

I did a bit on Maya at Uni, but tbh I was never that good at it!

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Thanks very much for the positive comments! :D

Just a quick update tonight:

Started work on the tire, as you can see. was hoping to get some reference shots of the tread pattern when I got home, but the weather has turned really nasty, so modelling the detail will have to wait till tomorrow night now. :roll:

Just another image that I thought I'd share:

This was the first thing I modelled in Lightwave when I started - a wheel from my old S2000! Never got very far with the rest of the car, as I wasn't good enough then. Hopefully the DC5 will get a lot further!

Until later...

Sumi

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Quick update - just modelled the tread (which is a first for me!)

Based it on the Toyo's actually on my DC5.

Later! :D

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Unfortunately, no. Sorry. (or should I say 'sumimasen')

I can speak quite a bit, and I can write it in roman (ie. english alphabet) but didn't get as far as learning the Hiragana, Katakana etc.

Used my OSX dashboard widget to translate Suped's post...