DC5 3D Model / Illustration Diary

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Quick update - I've been trying to figure out the best way to model the boot emblem, and after a few attempts, I think I've cracked it!

Looks a bit rubbish at the moment, but having it modelled properly *should* make the final renders look all the more convincing.

Also, it means that I can do some quick arty-farty renders soon, without having to have the whole car finished.

Later!

neolee40

Advanced Member
Nice work dude :). you make it and i'll animte it in maya. Export it as a OBJ using the FBX plugins and I'll soft it out for ya. Grab some footage/ images as we can use some GI combined with HDRI to light it :) :). We use xsi, maya lightwave at work www.framestore-cfc.com

looking forward to the finshed piece. Go onto high end to get some nice metal and reflection shaders :).

hope that helps

John

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Once the 201 upgrade for Modo is out, I'm confident that I'll be able to get some photo real stills rendered. I'll either use a virtual photolab construct (with dark and luminous panels) or a HDRI image. It really depends on where I want the car to be located. I was thinking something along the lines of an underground car park (a bit like one level in Perfect Dark Zero on the X360). In which case, the simple ighting setup may work better.

In Modo 103 (the current version), there is an export to Maya .ma file option, but it's really flakey. If this is improved in 201, it may be better than exporting to .obj, as it will retain surface info.

Either way, I'd be happy to send you the files to do some animations - that would be cool! 8) I'm only interested in high end stills work at the moment, as I wanna take this all one step at a time.

Waiting on my DC5 model kit at the moment (for blueprints), so work has kinda stalled for now. It should be here any day dow, so I'll update once I start the next phase.

Cheers!

truffs

made this into a sticky as i can see it getting interesting as the model progresses, great work mate :!:

Crisis

Advanced Member
kingston said:
any one wanna try and do this in autocad?
I can do 2D Plans in Autocad, if anyone has all the dimensions etc for top, side, front etc I could probably draw it up.

Crisis

Advanced Member
Haha. I've been able to find a drawing of the DC5 Above. Front. Side. But no dimensions. Could scale the dwg but its not ideal!

Cause you can trace over the plans can't you? In 3d?

Any ideas?

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Once again, thanks for all the positive comments! :D

I'll try to make it something worth watching and waiting for.

The Fujimi model kit arrived today, so I'll trace the plan views in Illustrator, then get back on with the modelling. Should have something more by the end of the week. Although I need to get my car ready for Japfest too! 8)

Later,

Sumi

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Sorry I haven't posted any updates for a while. Simple reason - I haven't done any work on it! :oops:

Put that right today, and after a good few hours (and lots of cursing) I have managed to make a pretty good start on the body shell. Looks ok so far, and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the bonnet! 8) Didn't realise just how much shape was in it until I tried to model it.

Anyway, here are the new pics. Not much to look at right now, but I reckon the renderer for Modo will be out within the week, so I'll do a couple of quick tests then, to show you just what I want to achieve.

A door (no handle yet)...

The Bonnet...

... and the whole lot together (so far)...

Cheers!

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Ok, as I guessed, the update to Modo was released this morning, so I've been attempting to get to grips with the new tools. The results so far look quite convincing, but there is still a fair bit of work to do. It does give an idea of where I want this to go.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the new pics! :D

Next I plan to work on the details (tire wall text and brake disc scoring). Will update when I've done a better render.

Cheers!