DC5 3D Model / Illustration Diary

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
I'd be the first to admit when I'm wrong...

... and this is one of those times! :oops:

I have been out examining the front wing, and there is a difference between my model and the real thing. Is this what you're talking about?

It's just one of those things that would never be noticed by just using blueprints. I've taken a few shots, and will attempt to correct today.

Plan for today is to also add the front wipers, the door handles and the wing mirrors. Wish me luck!

gregb

Advanced Member
Hi,
could i be real :oops: cheeky and ask you for a nice shot of the front reg plate on it`s own just as "integra type r".
i`d be ever so grateful :!:

kingston

Advanced Member
i accept you apology sumi, it is okay :p

just think, if i didnt comment, the car would be wrong :wink:

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Right, improved the front wings and added the wing mirrors:

Going to work on the wipers and door handles next, then move on to the rear window, boot lid (tail gate?), rear bumper, rear lights, rear apron, rear spoiler, exhaust, rear brake calipers, rear badges, rear wiper... Phew!

gregb: you want a shot of just the reg plate? How much of the surrounding area would you like to see? Also, how big do you want it? I'll sort that for you today.

Evs

Advanced Member
Looks superb, excellent work 8)

Just one constructive suggestion: I think the front bumper looks like it sticks out too far forward and the upper surface of it is too close to the horizontal, a bit too much like a 'duckbill'. The profile of the bonnet-headlight-bumper from the three-quarter angle is a bit too 'stepped' whereas on the real car it's a smoother arc. Does that make sense?

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Kingston, I haven't got an effing clue what the hell you're on about now, and frankly I don't care.

TBH, I don't think that I have the ability to get this finished to the level of accuracy that you guys would expect (this whole 3D thing has such a nightmare learning curve!).

Probably my general tetchy-ness from my recent operation and the lack of pain killers talking, but I think I'm gonna call it a day, and add this to the pile of projects that I never finished.

If someone could un-sticky this thread and let it die gracefully, I'd appreciate it.

gregb

Advanced Member
Ah no,too far now mate.
maybe after (if) you finish the project yourself and a mod could edit this thread with a less influenced result.
as said before it`s too unique to just pack up now.
it`s a first for me anyway,and was really looking forward to the end :!:

truffs

Sumimasen said:
Kingston, I haven't got an effing clue what the hell you're on about now, and frankly I don't care.

TBH, I don't think that I have the ability to get this finished to the level of accuracy that you guys would expect (this whole 3D thing has such a nightmare learning curve!).

Probably my general tetchy-ness from my recent operation and the lack of pain killers talking, but I think I'm gonna call it a day, and add this to the pile of projects that I never finished.

If someone could un-sticky this thread and let it die gracefully, I'd appreciate it.
Trust me mate 99% of this forum appreciate the work you are doing please keep it up.

As for Kingston SHUT UP if you think you can do better go ahead .......... :roll:

robert_raw

Yeah, carry on, i am very interested in what you are gdoing, it is far better than any DC5 model i have ever seen.

It is giving me inspiration to give it a go myself.

Wardy7

Advanced Member
Don't give up dude, it's looks stunning and I'd say 99% of people here don't care for the odd slight thing being a tiny bit wrong. Keep on it, you've done way to much now to stop!

Cheers
Wardy

Livvy

Advanced Member
Just ignore Kingston, most of the rest of us do. :x

I think your doing a fantastic job 8)

kingston

Advanced Member
Right, despite what everyone think, it looks as if the mesh goes in at a section behind the light, you might also want to check that...

now if youre going to leave imperfections in it, thats your choice but then it could have knock on effects on other parts of the car, pendant on where it is, and then you'll be even more pissed off and have to go back and redo it... i know as ive had the same sort of thing myself (though not with the programme your using)

As for not having the skill, you got the headlights done didnt you, which i would have thought involves more thinking and spatial planning than the bodyshell...

iDrew

Advanced Member
As has been said already, ignore Kingston and finish the model.

You can't stop now, the end is in sight 8) :D

dan the man

Advanced Member
it all depends how u wana look at it.

Its very good and ive been amazed, but is some constructive feedback a bad thing? If he want to receive the input he can if not leave the car as is and carry on.

Like the wing pic he put up showing how it didnt curve but the colours showed this. I thought that was mint as i couldnt quitte put my finger on it but knew summat was just 'out'

Work is ace imo and little feedback can make it amzingly accurate!

but whatever u do sumi weve been glued to it so far so thanks 8)

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Thanks for the comments guys n gals! If you really do want to see this thing finished, then I'll stick with it.

It's not that I don't want constructive criticism. Hell, it wouldn't have got as far as it has without it! It's just that I tried on numerous occasions to explain to Kingston that some odd bits were caused by reflections. This was due to using what's called a HDRI (High Dynamic Range Image) as an invisible backdrop to light the car. As this is a pattern, it does project some weird patches onto the bodywork.

I have now ditched the HDRI and have decided to use a simple luminous gradient. This has created a more showroom look, without the weird splotches of darkness. I have also corrected the wing mirrors and added the front wipers. I must stress that the front wings have not been touched since the last render.

If Kingston STILL has issues with this, then I suggest that he do as Truffs said, and do a thread of his own showing us all how it's supposed to be done! :p

Are any of you guys familiar with that episode of the Simpsons, where Mr Burns hires a load of Baseball stars just so they can play in the company softball match? When Mr Burns keeps asking Don Manningly to 'shave his sideburns', and each time he has more and more of his hair shaved off? Well that's what I feel like with this! :p

Anyway, enough painkiller-induced rambling... Here's the render:

Suped

Advanced Member
I think the lighting has done the teg the justice it deserves. Looks the part now and more like the real thing. Do definately appreciate the detailing thats gone into work.

gregb

Advanced Member
=D> how much of the cars interior are you going to include?
or just go with tints all round?

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
I'm going to include seats, simple door panels and a rudimentary dashboard/centre console. Just enough that when you see through the windows it will look convincing.

At the moment the windows are actually chrome (the same material that's used in the light housing reflectors). It works at the moment, as there's nothing inside. I'll switch it to the correct combination of clear and tinted glass once some of the interior details are done.

Gregb, I haven't forgotten about your number plate thing - my net connection was down from about 12.00 yesterday, right thru till about 9pm. Just going through my stuff to do from yesterday and yours is next. Who'd have thought that time off work recovering would be so hectic!