DC5 Recall Annoucement

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
I am about to send my honda dealer a fax with all your findings and to ask whether the checking of the bolts and the replacement steering gearbox (IF NEEDED) will be covered by the Honda care warranty.

Will keep you posted

UW

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Cheers UW, hope it is covered !!

I will take a few pics this afternoon, the bolts are not the easiest ones to check :cry:

Mike

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Here are the Pics I promised:

As you can see, they are not in an easy location to check the torque :cry:

Mike

NZITR

Advanced Member
They talk about replacing the defective part if the bolts are not tightened to spec.. the defective part being the steering box!

This raises some questions for me as it must be that the bolts were never tightened correctly in the first place as opposed to coming loose otherwise they would need to keep checking them or replace every steering box.

Where are I going with this? Well to me it would seem that replacing the steering box as opposed to just tightening the bolts is a safeguard and may not be required unless there was wear in the threads etc. One would also imagine that if the bolts had movement that there would be an associated fluid leak which would likely end up on the exhaust manifold and smoke.

I know some people in Honda New Zealand so I might ask for some more details as it will affect the locally sold cars here. An English version of the problem may shed some light.

My 2001 car was purchased from a private owner some 2+ weeks after the recall announement so I don't think it would have been checked before it left but I'll ask the question plus check for the rear window sticker when it arrives next week.

Cheers,

David.

The Honda Website has a good image showing the whole rack. Who would like to host it?

Erm

Advanced Member
ok i'm gettin mine checked out today.......

but can someone please explain something to me without becoming too techinal please......

1) What is the problem if the nuts are a little loose?
2) Why can you not just tighten them up if they are?
3) Whats to say that even if they are correctly tightened at the moment they dont come loose one year down the road?

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
NZITR and Mike

Thanks for the pictures guys.

On a bad note.. No, the checking of the bolts or replacing (IF NEEDED) the steering rack box would not be covered by Honda UK or Honda care warranty, we are on our own guys..

But remember as mike has said out of 213,000 cars checked over four different model ranges only 6 cars have been found to have the problem, so I for one am not worried about this at all.

I have my car booked in for check next saturday so I will see from that whats going on..

Cheers

UW

NZITR

Advanced Member
Erm said:
ok i'm gettin mine checked out today.......

but can someone please explain something to me without becoming too techinal please......
1) What is the problem if the nuts are a little loose?
Depends on how loose they are. Tight but less than 69nm isn't likely to be an issue in my book. So loose that they are rattling around may cause some damage but could be serviceable. The real danger is that the bolts get so loose the bracket falls off the steering rack leaving you with no steering at all.

2) Why can you not just tighten them up if they are?
If they are not rattling loose I'd just tighten them up to spec.

3) Whats to say that even if they are correctly tightened at the moment they dont come loose one year down the road?
I'd mark the bolt positions and check them often. Personally I'd say that you would feel/hear them coming loose as there would be a clunking at low speed.

Erm

Advanced Member
right well i kinda checked out mine today......

first off if u wanna get in to use a torque wrench then ur gonna need to jack the car up and get the rods out etc......

however it seems my car has actually had recall work done to it :? as the bolts have some sorta clamp type mechanism holding the bolt in, and the mechanic said to me there is no way these bolts will come out!

and concidering my car was shipped over in september it begs the question how long have the japanese known about this recall?

good luck to the rest of ya gettin em check out!

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
had alook at mine today, one of the bolts has got a kind of washer going aroung it with bit coming off, hard to explain, i cant seem to get there as my alarm is in the way :(

Rob

NZITR

Advanced Member
Interesting

If it has been done they put a sticker inside the rear window as per this translation..

"Improvement execution end in the car, the sticker of No.1009 is stuck in corner under the rear windshield left"

NZITR

Advanced Member
If they actually put a locking clip on it would indicate that any steering rack could be affected at some point in time if the clip is not installed.

Looking at the recall date range the problem ceased in mid 2002 which probably means that they started installing the locking clip in the factory and perhaps started recalling cars at that point.

I guess if your car doesn't have the clips installed it would be wise to get them installed.

Kev

Pics???

Anyone got a picture of what needs doing? Can I get a socket on it or will I need and open ender? What size is the head of bolt or nut? I reckon if we put threadlock on the bolts/nuts and spring washers to stop vibration loosening the bolts, then torque them up 59nm- then theres no chance in hell of them coming off! Job Done cheap as chips!!

Erm

Advanced Member
what did the sticker look like? i had about 100 stickers i took em all off LOL!!!!

anyways mines sorted with that washer thing! :D