DC5 Recall Annoucement

Adz

Advanced Member
Blind!?.. did'nt see that one comming! :lol:
So.. mines a 2001 model and its got the clip.. so obviously been checked in japan then! :D
Like you say though.. I think next time im in honda I mite ask em to check it anyway!

Cheers 4 that, Adz

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
DC5RK20A said:
Guys/gals,

When my car was in an accident back in September and I took it back to Honda to be repaired, my car was just under 4 months old, my chassis number is 2000016 and they changed out the steering gear box, the mechanic told me that it was a defect from the factory. He showed me the old box and how it was loose. Everyone of you may definitely want to look into this. I didn't have to pay anything as it was a dealer recall here in Japan.

Chris
How would these symptoms show themselves without having the Steering Gearbox in ur hands, and with locking tabs on the washers so the Tell Tale bolts won't shake loose?

ie would I feel some play in the steering wheel or something?

reeves999999

Just letting you all know that I had mine checked out at Bristol Honda. They requested the original bulletin from Honda HQ. They also sent a special tool down to do the job with. All free of charge too. Nuts were tight anyway and those clips were already there!? Just so that you all know: The official word from Honda is that if it's a safety bulletin, the work will be done for free. If its just an advisory, not so.

rossi

As below mine is to be booked in with Cardiff Honda on arrival of tool no problems or hassle. HOW REFESHING.

Just letting you all know that I had mine checked out at Bristol Honda. They requested the original bulletin from Honda HQ. They also sent a special tool down to do the job with. All free of charge too

katsumoto

help, need a garage in the know

hey guys,

need your help. Read all of the stinrg on this steering bolt prob. have got the funny washer thing on the right bolt but still want to get it checked.
i`ve been to 2 garages , but am a bit concerned...
1) as it is a safety recall did all of oyu have to pay to get it checked or is it honda UK`s responsibilty or is it down to each dealership?

2) more importantly, the 2 places I went to didnt really seem to understand the problem ( gave them the posted jap diagram,as well!!) let alone knowing about a special tool that may be required.

Could someone please tell me of any garages in the London / essex area who will fill me with more confidence!!

thnx in advance guys :? :?

rossi

Did it for free at hond garage.
The so called special tool is a pre set torque wrench sent from Swindon.
Cost to do work was the equivalent to 1 hours work time £38

T666YPR

If it has the washer you know it's come out of the factory with no problem to sort out,or has had the appropriate work done and is perfectly OK.

No worries

hannan

Guys Honda have told me that they will pay for the recalls, there is special procedure that the dealer must follow in order to get authority to carry out the correction of the defect. Most Honda dealers will give you crap, as I work for a Honda dealer I can tell you that Honda UK will pay if the dealer follows the procedure on the Honda Intranet. Honda UK stress that it is not upto them notify owners of grey imports of any recalls, however they will honour any genuine claims under their procedures manual. Note your car may have already had it's recall done in Japan the only way checking is to get your dealer to follow the procedure.

batt155

recall on dc5

Hello people,
Just about to pick up my dc5 and it falls between these two vin numbers, any idea how i can find out if this recall work has been done in japan as the car only came over in Jan 2005 but it is a 2001 car?

Livvy

Advanced Member
Sorry to sound thick but what exactly am i checking? :oops:

Have only just got the car and it falls within this range. :(

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Livvy said:
Sorry to sound thick but what exactly am i checking? :oops:

Have only just got the car and it falls within this range. :(
Livvy... chill. I dont think any cars that have come into the UK have seen this problem, and most if not all have been checked. If you look at Mikes post on page 2, hes included some pics of the two bolts in question. In Japan there was a recall as they found these bolts on a handful of DC5s were loose. As they are part of the steering system its vital that they dont come undone. This was recticifed FOC after a release was made to owners and Honda dealerships/garages and checked on servicing.

P15UL T

Advanced Member
i remember reading this post way last year but totally forgot all about it when i went to buy my car :shock:
i've just went out to check these bolts as my chassis number falls into the catagory and to my delight mine has one of those clips on the left hand nut :D so hoping that means everything is A ok.

Chuck Rusty

I have heard about this from my importer, but in fact it's 2 reported cases so far, not 6 - which is still a TINY amount in 10,207 cars made. Also, this has been known for well over a year in Japan, it certainly wasn't something only reported in December of last year. By now, cars in Japan will have been recalled.

Also, in the event a steering bolt is loose, it would become felt as the steering wheel will start to have some play in it, as splines start to move against each other - certainly not something we have found on any car we've supplied.

Everyone stop panicking :D

SiKBoY

Advanced Member
Hmm I forgot about this lol

I have checked and I dont think I have a washer or a lock thing but then again I have hjust had laser surgery :?

I am gonna take a pic tomorrow and post it on here !

The only thing mine has got is like what I can only describ as yellow paint on the unit infront of the right bolt !

T666YPR

Chuck Rusty said:
Also, this has been known for well over a year in Japan, it certainly wasn't something only reported in December of last year.
Mikes post was Jan 7th 2004,he referred to December of 2003,which makes it well over a year.

P15UL T

Advanced Member
i am very short sighted and thought about this a few years back but didnt have the bottle and then my optician said that it wouldnt fix my eyes as they are so bad so am stuck with lenses for the rest of my days :cry:

kingston

Advanced Member
P15UL T said:
i am very short sighted and thought about this a few years back but didnt have the bottle and then my optician said that it wouldnt fix my eyes as they are so bad so am stuck with lenses for the rest of my days :cry:
Theres technology over in America that gives you 20/10 vision, i.e. perfect vision (current lasering methods still leave imperfections in your eyes), you could wait for that to come out over here & see....

Mind you it could already be here and be the more expensive option :?

I need to get mine done too... mostly for the reason that i can wear my sunnies without the need of wearing contacts underneath 8)

Simon, you can only pull the girls at your 'level', everyone knows that unless youve got sh&t loadsof cash..... :evil: :evil: :wink: