GearBox Oil Change

ci_newman

Advanced Member
I don't suppose anyone knows the part numbers for the filler and drain plug for this fluid change? My local Honda are a right bunch of muppets unless I give them the specific part numbers :xconfused:

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
ci_newman said:
I don't suppose anyone knows the part numbers for the filler and drain plug for this fluid change? My local Honda are a right bunch of muppets unless I give them the specific part numbers :xconfused:
Give dave johnson a call mate he'll sort you out or drop him a pm

Dave J

Steels HONDA
01432 267154

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
So when does the gearbox oil need changing then? My cars only done 26k miles but its 5 years old now, will it need changing?

jay82

Advanced Member
well if you do track days i'd change it every service, (ie every 6k or 6months)
but just for road use i do mine every second service.
but the first sign it needs to be done is sticky second gear when the engine is cold

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
Cheers Jay, i think i might just do it as soon as possible for peace of mind and before winter comes

AC

Advanced Member
does anyone know where i can get Honda OEM MTFIII from? I'm guessing a Honda dealership?? :oops:

I was thinking of just getting Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic or am i in completely the wrong area? :xconfused:

Cheers

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
AC said:
does anyone know where i can get Honda OEM MTFIII from? I'm guessing a Honda dealership?? :oops:

I was thinking of just getting Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID SAE 75W-80 synthetic or am i in completely the wrong area? :xconfused:

Cheers
Yeah from the dealers mate, same for the new washers

Cardiff r33

Advanced Member
cheers for this, printed out and am doing on saturday with my service!

BTW got all my fluids etc from opie

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
cheers for the guide! It was a great help yesterday. All done in less then an hour. My drain plug was a bit different though, it had a square hole in the bolt - just the right size for an extension bar end though. Gear change is alot smoother now. I used all 2 litres (or 1.9 litres as its sold in 2 quart's by opie oils), i only had about 1 1/3 litres out though

KierAn20

Excellent guide! And definitely should be a sticky.

I did mine this weekend using Amsoil fully synthetic MTF. The difference is unbelievable and the slight crunch I used to sometimes get when going from 1st to 2nd (on a cold box) has completely disappeared :D

I chose the Amsoil stuff because it was highly recommended for my old car, an Accord Type-R, through the ATR forum. It works wonders on the often notchy 5spd boxes in the ATR's and it has now also worked a treat on my DC5 :D

Strangely I managed to drain almost a full 2 litres from the DC5 box, so I've put the same amount back in - even though I had to jack up the car quite a bit to get it to fit :green:

Gaz DC5

Advanced Member
pretty mad you got a full 2 litres out, maybe it was done not long ago but with rubish oil? I only got about 1.2 litres out but got just under 2litres in like you

KierAn20

Gaz DC5 said:
pretty mad you got a full 2 litres out, maybe it was done not long ago but with rubish oil? I only got about 1.2 litres out but got just under 2litres in like you
Yeah I was pretty shocked when i funneled it back into an old 2ltr lemonade bottle afterwards and it virtually filled it :shock:

TBH I was planning to use the full 2 quarts anyway, same as you - cant see it would do any harm.

cpoh

Advanced Member
KierAn20 said:
Gaz DC5 said:
Yeah I was pretty shocked when i funneled it back into an old 2ltr lemonade bottle afterwards and it virtually filled it :shock:

TBH I was planning to use the full 2 quarts anyway, same as you - cant see it would do any harm.
I got 1.9L out of mine on a recent change, it had been in the car for a good 24k miles at that stage too.

AC

Advanced Member
i did this yesterday. It took about 20 mins but then again I was lucky enough to know someone with a car ramp so I kinda cheated \:D/

Anyway its was really simple to do. Mine took the full 2 litres of oil. I used Amsoil (5/30) The gearbox feels more precise like a winchester pump shotgun and as everyone says 2nd gear when cold is nice and smooth now and not difficult to get into

I will say that the drain hole plug requires a 3/8th socket wrench to get undone unlike the fill hole which was just a spanner (can't remember the size sorry) :oops:

dave kil

Advanced Member
Thanks for this.
Dead handy to do with the pics.

Changing gears does actually feel so much smoother, especially 1st -> 2nd. Alot less 'crunchier'/rough.

Also +1 on making this a sticky

keeno

dave kil said:
Thanks for this.
Dead handy to do with the pics.

Changing gears does actually feel so much smoother, especially 1st -> 2nd. Alot less 'crunchier'/rough.

Also +1 on making this a sticky

xthumbup

larz

Advanced Member
brilliant, i'll need to do this soon... i think it deserves a sticky... maybe we should have a 'service' section for run of the mill stuff like this...

hondahead

what size socket/driver is needed to remove the drain plug??

none of mine fit,used to use pipe grips on old car but cant get it in there on the teg!

wilko2010

Advanced Member
This something i need to do soon as 2nd gear bit rough to get into when cold,i agree on making this a sticky