How to...Change the Aux belt.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Firstly, this is not a timing belt, as the K20 does not have one (chain driven)!

:arrow: This is a guide to change the auxillary belt. This drives: power steering pump, AC pump, alternator.
It's a really simple job if you consider yourself competant with spanners, etc.

:arrow: Tools needed:

Jack
Axle stand
Wheel brace (or equivalent)
Flat blade screwdriver
14mm long spanner (or regular 14mm combo and another similar size to double up)

Time: About 30 minutes.

That's it!

:arrow: Belt part number: 38920 PRC 023
Price: Just under £60 (I used Dave Johnson - Steels Honda)
It took a few weeks to arrive as it was ordered from Japan.

Please be careful not to hurt yourself! This is a guide to help you only. If you're not convident enough, pay a garage to do it. Having said that, I was surprised how easy it was despite how poor the accessability looks.

Please excuse the crappy iPhone pics.

:arrow: This is how my old belt looked:

May well have been on there from new - 10yrs, 80k miles! - as I've never changed it!

:arrow: Jack the driver side front up and secure with axle stand! Remove wheel. Should look like this:

:arrow: Use the screwdriver to remove the 2 clips securing the plastic engine cover. Pull the cover down gently and leave it hang. You can now see the crank and AC pump pulleys. Like this:

:arrow: From above, lift the power steering bottle out of its mount, like this:

:arrow: The belt is now more visible and accessable from above and below. Now was time to draw a quick sketch in case I got stuck :xlol:

In hindsight, the idler is probably the waterpump..

:arrow: Now, use the 14mm spanner and put on the pulley below/slightly behind the power steering pump, like this:

:arrow: By myself I found the regular spanner not enough, so I doubled up. Longer spanner would be better. Pull the spanner towards the front of the car in a smooth action (No sharp jolts). This will push the tensioner against its spring, releasing the belt. While holding the tensioner in this position, slide the belt off the power steering pulley, like this:

:arrow: Now pull the old belt out. I found it easier pulling it down, feeding it off the pulleys as I went.

Old vs new

:arrow: Now feed the new belt from underneath, over each pulley, basically opposite to removal. Use the spanner to hold the tensioner and feed over the P.S pulley and tensioner last. When you've done this, gently release the tensioner and check the belt is correctly on each pulley from above and below! Dont start the car until you are sure the belt is correctly on each pulley!

New at top

New below

:arrow: When you're happy, start the car. Check the battery light turns off. Switch the engine off and double check belt is correctly fitted to all the pulleys.

:arrow: Then refit power steering tank, engine cover. Fit wheel and tighten/torque wheel nuts. Lower car to ground.

Tap yourself on the back for a job well done xthumbup

And what I usually work on:

HTH and best of luck!

Mark

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Nice one Mark. Need to do this to mine soon. 94K on mine! Think it's still the original one too.

dave7368

Advanced Member
i ply my trade in Africa, the weather's better! B) work for an Aussie company at the mo....

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Nice guide Mark. A very clean looking car to work on too unlike my recent DIY with all the grubby shots of the engine bay! :xlol:

I'll get round to doing this myself soon and maybe give the engine bay a good clean while I'm at it!!

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for spending the time of this DIY. Always very helpful to have these. =D>

Zani

Advanced Member
Thanks for the guide! My friend wants to do his EP3 and this has made it look so much more do-able!

Good work!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Normally when it's starts squeeking or perishing. If it looks worn and tired, change it.

Dan34 said:
Great guide this! Just changed mine this morning.

If people want an alternative to the Honda belt that is cheaper search ebay for 7PK1705

This come up on eBay and a Nissan qashqui belt will this fit? Need to get one ASAP as mine has snapped and Honda are gonna take best part of a week?

Thanks in advance
Will return a belt like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310394635851?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It fits fine and no more squeaks http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.png