New CAR TAX rates in 2008 Budget!!

terminator x

Point is that the Govt are now changing the rules ... before you could make an informed choice & not buy a car as it used to be based upon cars not yet registered ... now they've wound it back to tax cars that people have already bought (come 2009 of course) :evil: Stinks, simple as that.

TX.

kingston said:
if you cant afford it, dont buy it simple

Frazdog

Advanced Member
got my road tax through for the end of march and im quoyed £180 for a year or £99 for the 6 months! guess it hasent realy went up! Think i was £95 for 6 months, well 6 months ago!!! :roll:

Any1 else had increase?

cfoster

Advanced Member
Bugger! Mine was registered on 07/08/07 so states on the website £220 for 6 months or £400 for the year. Rip off merchants!!

vadhert

top tip: buy your road tax online the day before the rates change. I did this and saved £100.

Its still way too much money but could have hurt alot more.

dave c

400hp K20
I'm on...

£220 for 6 months and
£400 for 12 months

Why more expensive than other people?

:?

vadhert

dave c said:
I'm on...

£220 for 6 months and
£400 for 12 months

its a long story but the generally to do with the following....

1) Depends when the car was first registered in the UK
2) If it was registered as PLG or not
3) If the car was registered by emissions then which model report was used 223.7g 2005 model or 234g for 2001 model

vadhert

raz786 said:
so how much is the road tax for the 234g model report?
If the car is a 2001 model registered after march last year then you will be on band G which is the higher band hence it is over 225g. If you have registered a 2005 model you will be on band F as it just falls into this category.

vito

one of my mates has a 1.4 Citroen c2 hdi, and payed £35 the last time he taxed his car. he also drives about 700 miles per week. i on the other hand with my dc5 will now pay £400 and i only do about 50 miles per week max (if that). so clearly my mates c2 is chucking out more co2 than my car will on a weekly basis, but i'm the one that gets the ridiculous tax increase. the government are simply targeting people like us (car enthusiasts) because they know we'll pay it to keep our cars.

vadhert

vito said:
one of my mates has a 1.4 Citroen c2 hdi, and payed £35 the last time he taxed his car. he also drives about 700 miles per week. i on the other hand with my dc5 will now pay £400 and i only do about 50 miles per week max (if that). so clearly my mates c2 is chucking out more co2 than my car will on a weekly basis, but i'm the one that gets the ridiculous tax increase. the government are simply targeting people like us (car enthusiasts) because they know we'll pay it to keep our cars.

Exactly, Im afraid unfortunately thats the way the cookie crumbles

rick c

Advanced Member
I'm a bit late catching onto this but I just have a question about this low/high emission question.

Which engine's emssions are rated at 225g and which are 234g? I presume the change was for the facelift models, and they're the ones that'll be on the lower tax band?

So if I now go and import a 2001/2002 model DC5 I'll be put onto the highest tax band? (i.e. not PLG, not 225g but the full fat 234g)

Frazdog

Advanced Member
I was the same! £180 for the year or £99 for 6months, although when i went to get it the inflation had put it up a bit, worked out £101 for 6months!! Better than £220!

Greensprout

Advanced Member
vadhert said:
dave c said:
I'm on...

£220 for 6 months and
£400 for 12 months

its a long story but the generally to do with the following....

1) Depends when the car was first registered in the UK
2) If it was registered as PLG or not
3) If the car was registered by emissions then which model report was used 223.7g 2005 model or 234g for 2001 model
What else can they be registered as other than PLG?

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
Greensprout said:
What else can they be registered as other than PLG?
For our vehicles they can either fall into 2 taxation classes, one being PLG, and the other being a PETROL CAR. If it's registered as a PETROL CAR, then it will be classed on CO2 emissions and not engine size.

(P.s. the CAPS isn't shouting it's just the way it's written on the V5) :wink:

TypeGRRR

Advanced Member
CTR_Chris said:
ok but the V5 does not give the C02 emissions :?
If there is not a CO2 figure present, the taxation class will read PLG and not PETROL CAR, meaning you're probably paying under £200 for TAX...