Novice track day

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi

I'm looking to go on a track day with my wife. I have been in one track session and really enjoyed it. But my wife wants to have a go too. I have no issues with her driving my car and I want her to enjoy it as I do.

But I want to take her on an easy track and that isn't full of idiots and Senna wannabes. I live about 20 mins from Castle Combe but this I think is one of the worst tracks to go to for this!!

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Adam

adam.

Advanced Member
Go to bedford autodrome.

Plenty of run off, nothing to hit (ish), and no big elevation changes. Perfect track to get you started.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Funny you say that, my mates just got an Evo 10, went out in it last night. We were talking about track days too lol but easy ones. Could tag alog if times fit. ;)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Bedford is definitely the place to start.

MSV are currently offering an open pitlane day on the SEN circuit. £99 'earlybird', 30th of Jan.

Let me know if you guys are interested, I'll most likely be going.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Went to Oulton recently on a Mazda on Track notvice day. Was all good until fully stripped 911s were flying past and rapid Lotus' were hooning it haha.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
personally i would go to combe , chose a Hondas on track day or MLR day or other novice day and most importantly get some instruction (always available at mlr days for sure). , do not even consider action days or that type of thing, its generally a quiet circuit and much better than bedford on those type of days. if you do hOT day the speeds of the cars will be similar which makes it much easier to concentrate on what you are doing rather than whats happening behind you .

if its a day when in free i will happily sit next to her for a few laps

spooke

Advanced Member
I'm also looking for a novice track day, will most likely go for Bedford, it's local too. I'm a bit put off on the £99 Open Pitlane as I'm sure that is going to be very busy, looking at Honda's on Track but the closest track is Donnington Park which isn't very novice friendly!

adam.

Advanced Member
spooke said:
I'm also looking for a novice track day, will most likely go for Bedford, it's local too. I'm a bit put off on the £99 Open Pitlane as I'm sure that is going to be very busy, looking at Honda's on Track but the closest track is Donnington Park which isn't very novice friendly!
If it's the GT layout, you need not worry.

The pit lane is the limiting factor as it can only hold a certain amount of cars, the day I was on recently was 'fully booked', the briefing was rammed, but this is how empty the track was...

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/42566-pics-video-from-bedford-gt-091115/

Because it's so long, it can hold a large amount of cars on track.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
It's the SEN layout, and that price is the early bird price for a day in January. January days are always going to be cheaper.

HOT often share the track with lotus on track, so there can be fast cars out with you, and you have to be at a certain level, ie not a complete novice. It's worth signing up and asking for yourself though. :)

Linus27

Advanced Member
Bedford would be perfect. Its great for novice's but also very enjoyable for the more experienced. Not all the dates for next year have been announced yet and Lotus on Track will be cutting back on the amount of UK days they do. They usually have a full day at Bedford shared with Honda on Track so keep an eye out for this and hopefully it will be out soon.

Gordyitrdc5

Advanced Member
Adam have you thought of doing hullavington airfield its just down the road from castle coombe I've done 2 there now its was only £109 for the day open pit lane I was telling shortrstuff about it a few weeks back also its great little track even the most experience guys come over & chat to you. here is the link

http://www.motorsport-events.co.uk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Gordydc5 said:
Adam have you thought of doing hullavington airfield its just down the road from castle coombe I've done 2 there now its was only £109 for the day open pit lane I was telling shortrstuff about it a few weeks back also itrs great little track even the most experience guys come over &chat to you. here is the link

Good price that.

Mebz

Advanced Member
I'm booked at Oulton Park for 20th of February on a novice track day.

I've been there twice before on an open pit lane day.

Do your own thing, keep an eye on what's behind you, take it easy and move over for faster cars on the straights.

I don't like the idea of a novice day to be honest, I prefer being the only novice rather than being surrounded by novices.

Only booked on the novice day this time because someone from work wanted to come along too, in a mini cooper s, he likes the idea of a novice day.

RichA

Advanced Member
Another vote here for Bedford, you can't really go wrong there and nothing to hit should you overcook it.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Gordydc5 said:
Adam have you thought of doing hullavington airfield its just down the road from castle coombe I've done 2 there now its was only £109 for the day open pit lane I was telling shortrstuff about it a few weeks back also its great little track even the most experience guys come over & chat to you. here is the link

Adam (Gok), I believe this is where Ben .S. went with the EK9? Doesn't look too bad.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Adam (Gok), I believe this is where Ben .S. went with the EK9? Doesn't look too bad.
Yeah he has also done Castle Combe and Abingdon.

Can't thank you enough guys for the response to this!! I though some might say stay clear or just get on with it!!

I certainly want to do another track day and I want the wife to have one or two laps (depending on how she feels) just to experience it. She drive my car at the weekend and I can see it puts a smile on her face! She just needs to get used to it. Plus the gear stick is too stiff (mtec race spring) and the geo is shot (tram lining) once these are sorted she will love it even more.

James, perhaps we should go with Ben with his EK9 and or see if we can do a HOT day?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yeah I'm game for something. Definitely want to get to know it a bit better. ;)

I'm limited to days though with the teaching, so a holiday week or a weekend in the new year sometime would be good :)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
CaLi said:
Have a look at open track, tuition is included in the price as is food and photos.

not expensive either. For example Oulton park is £129 for open pit day in december or february

http://opentrack.co.uk/epages/8f6001fa-6391-406b-b2c4-02ec9ed70325.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/8f6001fa-6391-406b-b2c4-02ec9ed70325/Categories
There's also an event at brands on the 18th of December. Nice small track but still very interesting layout. With free tuition it's a great one to start out at.

If people are ever going to a track day, post it up. :)