Novice track day

FireDance

Advanced Member
Lukeyboi89 said:
Hi all,

Search function isn't working for this on mobile so thought I'd post here.

Is a baffled sump definitely needed or not?

I Know some say yes and others no, so thought I would see what the forum consensus is.

They are about £200 for a drop in so I could get it.

I'm boosted too in case that makes a difference.

Cheers
For the price it is better to be safe than sorry. I have a baffled sump in mine, I wasn't going to risk it after spending so much money on the bloody thing :xlol: :xlol: :xlol:

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
FireDance said:
For the price it is better to be safe than sorry. I have a baffled sump in mine, I wasn't going to risk it after spending so much money on the bloody thing :xlol: :xlol: :xlol:
Haha yep very valid point.

Now where's the cheapest place to get one, can you're plethora of contacts source me one at a good price?

FireDance

Advanced Member
If you want to weld then get the Tegiwa kit one. £60 from Tegiwa & then however much it is to weld it in

Or get the Clockwise or TGM one. Fantastic bits of kits :)

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
FireDance said:
If you want to weld then get the Tegiwa kit one. £60 from Tegiwa & then however much it is to weld it in

Or get the Clockwise or TGM one. Fantastic bits of kits :)
Generally try to avoid their stuff, but £60 is very cheap I will have a look. Cheers

Fez

Advanced Member
I've just over filled mine for track, and been fine, but i am planning on getting a weld in one, just because SHG had the drop in one and found that they were getting low oil pressure on cornering, so would rather not risk it.

Linus27

Advanced Member
I have the TGM one and its a no brainer. For the cost of a track day for peace of mind, you can't go wrong.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
depends where you liive and how far you want to drive.. personally.. for a nice track.. loads of run off and instructors on hand.. bedford hands down.

she will feel save.. you will feel save and its really very well managed.. any muppets they kick them off right away.

go for it and have fun .... 6th of June

oh and meant to add.. drop tyre pressure down a bit .. once you feel they are going off.. come in relax for 30 mins then go back out.. also .. and i did this on my very 1st exciting track day.. dont let her put the hand brake up when you park up hahaha..

Mark

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Whether or not you need a baffled sump is purely down to the amount of sustained lateral g you can produce in your car. This is governed by tyres, suspension and driver skill/commitment.

I would always advise having a baffled sump if you're planning on exploiting the dc5's main feature of being quick on track. I wouldn't bother with a weld in jobby, one because tegiwa can sod off with their copied designs and two, because welding plush aluminium to an oil soaked cast sump isn't as reliable as I would like it to be. The Clockwise baffle is fit and forget.

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
I've just booked my second ever track day at Croft with Hondas On Track for July this year in my DC5!!!

Excited and nervous but can't wait :)

Last time I was there I was out in my DC2 Integra, this is going to be a totally different experience for sure x

adam.

Advanced Member
Kevin, are there any stats for oil starvation that you've seen?

I don't hang about on track and run AD08R.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I'm not sure it's a stats kind of thing like oil temps, it's a case of being high in the rev range and not getting adequate oil for a split second. Potentially every lap on a particular corner. I don't have any oil pressure logs showing dips, but oil starvation is definitely a real thing for the k20.

For £200 and a few hours under the car, I personally think it's a no brainer.

Think about the banking at Rockingham for example, flat chat, max revs in all gears, desperately trying to catch that turbo car you've spent the whole lap gaining on through the infield, sustained g at whatever angle the banking is, that's a lot for the oil system to cope with.. Or pouhon at Spa.. on the second part, still under as much lateral load as I can put into it, I'm redline in 4th and flat.

Nobody thinks they hang about on track, and I don't know how much load you're able to generate, but peace of mind on circuit is a wonderful thing.

Linus27

Advanced Member
I can add that I've come the Lotus Elise and I know of a few who have had K20 conversions and have had oil starvation issues on track and engines going bang. As Kevin say's it is an issue for the K20 engine and a no brainier to get one.

adam.

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
I
Nobody thinks they hang about on track, and I don't know how much load you're able to generate, but peace of mind on circuit is a wonderful thing.
Wait, you mean not everyone's the stig???

It feels like the car is able to generate a lot, but I've not done any tracks with prolonged high speed corners, yet(!).

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
See you there Emmsy, I think a few of us will be going in Honda's.
Will most definitely see you there :)
Which is your car again so I can keep an eye out - obviously I know it's a DC5 hehe but just wondered about reg and setup?

Kevin85

Advanced Member
No, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. You've been fine up until now, but when you or who improve their car or themselves to reach the loads required to create oil starvation, it won't be a good day.

Shutting the gate after the horse has bolted is expensive.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Will most definitely see you there :)
Which is your car again so I can keep an eye out - obviously I know it's a DC5 hehe but just wondered about reg and setup?
Cool :)

White DC5, black OEM wheels, Big brake kit, Spoon Springs and that's about it. Reg is Y474RWH. I will probably be the only white DC5 on the day :)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I thought all dc5's were white?

I'm trying to arrange my life around Croft, I really want to play with you guys.

Linus27

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
I thought all dc5's were white?
I'm trying to arrange my life around Croft, I really want to play with you guys.
They are apart from the blue ones, red ones, black ones and silver one. Those ones are not white and are a different colour. They are really easy to spot also as if they are not white then chances are they are either blue, red, black or silver :)

You bloody better get to Croft or you'll not only get a wedgie, I'll get Jason to talk to you about V8 muscle car engines :)