Novice track day

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I easily get through 1.5 tanks of fuel on a trackday, but that is for a full open pit and lots of laps.

I also get insurance now after having done a lot of trackdays, partly because my increased confidence and speed means a bigger crash if it happened, but also to protect against anyone else hitting me. That's around £80 (£500 excess) and worth factoring in too...

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers chaps for the tips.

In terms of tyres, I've recently stuck a brand new set of RE070's which I know will be a good trackday tyre but the last thing I want to be doing is ploughing through a brand new set of tyres and I know surfaces at a lot of these tracks can be highly abrasive.

It would be Anglesey I'd be on as it's a half hour or so from me. Fuel - I'd expect to use up to £100 for the day itself. Is Anglesey hard on tyres?

Brakes - I have decent Hawk HP+ pads with braided TGM lines so brake fade shouldn't be an issue I'd have thought, fluid was also changed at the same time which wasn't long ago so I'm not overly concerned about cooking the brakes.

I go and watch a lot of trackdays at Anglesey which are mostly open pitlane so I've been watching how long people are out on track for and how best to "Manage" the car so to speak. I'll have to see how it goes over the next few months but I do really want to do one preferably before the car goes which may be happening towards the end of the year.

And Luke, thanks for the tip re Insurance. If I do end up doing one then I will highly likely take it out as safety net.

Thanks again guys.

Fez

Advanced Member
Re070 is what i have, and was brand new at the start of the day lol. Really good tyre on track, but i do find fed 595rsr handled the heat better.
With regards to fuel i did 80miles (track is just short a of a mile long) on track, used just over 3/4's a tank and only stopped due to my tyre.

Anglesey is what i'm planning next, never done it before.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Fez said:
Re070 is what i have, and was brand new at the start of the day lol. Really good tyre on track, but i do find fed 595rsr handled the heat better.
With regards to fuel i did 80miles (track is just short a of a mile long) on track, used just over 3/4's a tank and only stopped due to my tyre.

Anglesey is what i'm planning next, never done it before.
My RE070's are starting to look worn already and they've only been on the car a month lol.

The Federal is a more track focussed tyre anyway isn't it?

Not bad fuel consumption that actually, guess it's kind of the same as taking your car on a good long blast isn't it in a way.

Anglesey is nice, well it looks nice to drive anyway ha! I've been in a fellow forum member's car as a passenger and it was mental which is why I want to drive it.

Where are you based Fez?

Linus27

Advanced Member
You shouldn't need new tyres after just one track day. In my EP3 I did about 9k miles and 3-4 track days until I needed two new fronts. On my DC5 I have AD08R's and I have done 1 track day and have Spa booked for April and not planning any new tyres. Might also sneak an evening session in before Spa at Brands.

The rest of your car sounds ready to go though.

I'm looking to do Anglesey with Open Track in June if anyone is interested in tagging along.

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
Federal 595 RSR are my absolute favourite tyres!! Had them on my last teg and can't wait to get them on my new teg!

Do a track day and enjoy it. Go for the insurance it's a good peace of mind and enjoy yourself:)

Fez

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
My RE070's are starting to look worn already and they've only been on the car a month lol.

The Federal is a more track focussed tyre anyway isn't it?

Not bad fuel consumption that actually, guess it's kind of the same as taking your car on a good long blast isn't it in a way.

Anglesey is nice, well it looks nice to drive anyway ha! I've been in a fellow forum member's car as a passenger and it was mental which is why I want to drive it.

Where are you based Fez?
Yeh the rsr is a semislick, maybe i'll buy a pair of oem wheels and fit them for track lol.

I've never been up to anglesey but photos/videos i've seen look amazing.

I'm down in south wales, but still like a 4 hour drive for me up to there, so me and the misses was planning to make a weekend of it.

Fez

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
You shouldn't need new tyres after just one track day. In my EP3 I did about 9k miles and 3-4 track days until I needed two new fronts. On my DC5 I have AD08R's and I have done 1 track day and have Spa booked for April and not planning any new tyres.
Yeh i have never need to in the past, but this time i did. But it was Llandow which is a killer for the passenger front tyre lol. But i was okay with the rsr, perhaps i just went harder than before lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Linus27 said:
You shouldn't need new tyres after just one track day. In my EP3 I did about 9k miles and 3-4 track days until I needed two new fronts. On my DC5 I have AD08R's and I have done 1 track day and have Spa booked for April and not planning any new tyres. Might also sneak an evening session in before Spa at Brands.

The rest of your car sounds ready to go though.

I'm looking to do Anglesey with Open Track in June if anyone is interested in tagging along.
Fez said:
Yeh the rsr is a semislick, maybe i'll buy a pair of oem wheels and fit them for track lol.

I've never been up to anglesey but photos/videos i've seen look amazing.

I'm down in south wales, but still like a 4 hour drive for me up to there, so me and the misses was planning to make a weekend of it.
If I don't get to do Anglesey with you guys I will certainly do my best to come down and watch.

Really is a lovely track you will both like it.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
You can kill a new set of tyres by going too long and hard with incorrect pressures. Especially when brand new as the more tread on the tyre the more movement in the rubber and the more heat that will be generated. If you are in to track days a very worth while investment is a decent pressure gauge with a pressure release button on it.

I often help new comers with this and find pressures over 40psi after hearing complaints that my "tyres went off"...

Broadly speaking you will want to aim for about 32 PSI hot. To do this I start the day with all tyres at 28 degrees. Drive a session, get out check the pressures, release all back to 32 PSI and then repeat. Once a good pressure/ temperature balance has been achieved the tyres will perform and last much better.

If you are really geeky then you can let the tyres cool before you leave, take the cool pressure and note them down. For example at Combe I know that with my DC2 I can start the day with NSF/24psi OSF/25psi NSR/27psi OSR/28psi

if you do this remember to re pressure your tyres for normal road driving before you go home.

Fez

Advanced Member
Yeah i went out with 30psi cold, did about 10 minutes and came back with 38psi so dropped it down to 30psi hot and it handled/gripped much better. And thats how i left it through the day and the psi stayed the same.

My mate was out in his clio sport and that went down to the cords on the outer edge, lol.
But like i said that track is really harsh on nsf tyres.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Burn! Motorsport said:
You can kill a new set of tyres by going too long and hard with incorrect pressures. Especially when brand new as the more tread on the tyre the more movement in the rubber and the more heat that will be generated. If you are in to track days a very worth while investment is a decent pressure gauge with a pressure release button on it.

I often help new comers with this and find pressures over 40psi after hearing complaints that my "tyres went off"...

Broadly speaking you will want to aim for about 32 PSI hot. To do this I start the day with all tyres at 28 degrees. Drive a session, get out check the pressures, release all back to 32 PSI and then repeat. Once a good pressure/ temperature balance has been achieved the tyres will perform and last much better.

If you are really geeky then you can let the tyres cool before you leave, take the cool pressure and note them down. For example at Combe I know that with my DC2 I can start the day with NSF/24psi OSF/25psi NSR/27psi OSR/28psi

if you do this remember to re pressure your tyres for normal road driving before you go home.
Fez said:
Yeah i went out with 30psi cold, did about 10 minutes and came back with 38psi so dropped it down to 30psi hot and it handled/gripped much better. And thats how i left it through the day and the psi stayed the same.

My mate was out in his clio sport and that went down to the cords on the outer edge, lol.
But like i said that track is really harsh on nsf tyres.
Interesting info - thanks for sharing.

Fez - question. If you went out with 30psi then found your tyres were roasting when after 10 mins. Wouldn't it be better going out with say 20psi from the offset, or is that too flat?

Fez

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Interesting info - thanks for sharing.

Fez - question. If you went out with 30psi then found your tyres were roasting when after 10 mins. Wouldn't it be better going out with say 20psi from the offset, or is that too flat?
Thats what i did, well i dropped my hot pressure down to 30psi, didn't check what it was cold but at a guess i'd say it was about 22psi.

I wanted to try my usual (road) pressures first, as that might have been worked for me, and as i didn't have a pump, it was easier to take pressure away than add it lol.

FireDance

Advanced Member
I am at Llandow on April 1st (don't laugh) this is what I have spent so far:

Hotels in Cardiff Bay for 2 nights: £132
Track sessions: £90
Gloves: £20
New brakes all round: £400

Still need to get:
Helmet
Petrol & spare petrol
track insurance
food

Is there anything else I need to get or be aware of? I am going to be using RE050A as this is my first track day I won't be paying out for new tyres or track wheels just yet.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
Llandow is more technical than it looks. Hooking up a very quick lap is actually harder than places like Combe. There is a cafe for food, pretty basic but food non the less.

It's cracking fun and John gives a good briefing.

I would take some oil and a basic tool set. Like a halfords jobber, it's amazing what can get fixed with the help of some people in the pits!

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Search function isn't working for this on mobile so thought I'd post here.

Is a baffled sump definitely needed or not?

I Know some say yes and others no, so thought I would see what the forum consensus is.

They are about £200 for a drop in so I could get it.

I'm boosted too in case that makes a difference.

Cheers

Rom

Advanced Member
For NA, they aren't a must have. They are nice sure. But plenty, including myself have run without them.
I've always ran slightly over max myself. It's longer sweeping corners that will do it, so some tracks will be worse.

As for boosted, I can't be sure. Assuming turbo, I don't know how much, if any, extra oil is used, or where the feeds and returns are plumbed.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

integraleo

Advanced Member
Has nothing to do with being boosted or not. Look at it like taking out track insurance... Chances are you will be fine...but one day you might be really thankful you had it. I fitted one in mine but never got it on track lol.