Oil advice and recommendations

Falvey

How are things oilman, great thread!
I'm going to buy the bits to service my DC5 in the morning and i just want to confirm i'm getting the very best for my car Its standard apart from a cat-back exhaust system.
engine Oil- Silkolene PRO S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic
Gearbox Oil- REDLINE Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant 70W-80 GL4
Filter- Genuine Honda Oil Filter
Cheers.

kimi

Advanced Member
Hi oilman :D

my DC5s a 2002 road use, used daily for work 50mile a week

i had the car serviced at my local Honda dealer just after i had it,
so the oil was changed by them in October 2008.
At the time i asked what oil they used and was told Mobil one.

I now want to get my oil changed as i wasn't going to change the filter just drop the oil,
i called the dealer to ask what oil they had used.
The service guy said "just shove any 10w40 it don't matter what make, that's what we do!" :xaiweb6:
so now i am going to change the filter too :xlol:

Have you heard of Fortec motorsport NA V 5w40?
i have 2 tins of the fortec in my garage, and was going to use it but thought i would ask your advise first.

Jimmy Mc

Could you recommend an oil for my car please:

2002 Integra DC5
K Pro ECU
Cat back system (no idea of make)
Rotrex Supercharger system
292bhp
Road use

Thanks

Jimmy

Hawaii5hoes

Advanced Member
Can you please suggest a suitable gear box oil to use with a race LSD. My car only has a couple bolt on mods though. Many thanks.

phozy888

Advanced Member
omfg think i've gone though nearly 1 ltr in 900 miles in me new motul 5-40 oil.... its wasnt that bad when i was using the mobil 1 0-40w i got at least 1500 -2000.

should i try something thicker, i see that mobil 1 has the 5-50w or silkolene do a 10-50w would this be reconmended ?

mikegsi

Staff member
Stopped using halfords special now I'm turbocharged again, using valvoline 5w50 stuff! Pricey mind but need top gear in the evo!

celox performance

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
Stopped using halfords special now I'm turbocharged again, using valvoline 5w50 stuff! Pricey mind but need top gear in the evo!
Is that the 'Racing' Oil? I use the Valvoline 5w-50 Race oil and it's only £22 for 4 litres at my local motor factors but I know some outlets charge a lot more than that. I only use this oil and have it in all my cars. It maintains the oil pressure a lot better than anything else i've used before, plus it's cheap (it is from my local factors anyway).

mikegsi

Staff member
Yeah that sounds the stuff, I got shafted then, £50 for 5 litres!!!

I'll do some hunting for it cheaper!

I could get it sent to me from your motor factors and it would still be cheaper!!

danny100

Advanced Member
believe me or not, the Shell Helix ultra 5w40 is a v.good oil,which is used on modern Ferrari road cars from factory, i used it from my last serviced on January,(3k miles done upto today), i ve only put 0.5 litre since then.. thats 9.5 month/ 3000 mile done, so its not bad at all..

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
The Shell Helix is ok, the Shell Helix Ultra is better but both are group III synthetics, this means they are mineral based. But good for this quality of oil.

The reason you can use it in a Ferrari is they dont require much in terms of oil, Their requirments are simple. They are Italian after all ;)

Cheers

Guy