Oil advice and recommendations

willymick

Oilman,

I have always used 5w 40 in my car but have recently moved to Cyprus and taken the car with me. A few people have said that I should change the oil to say 10w 50 especially for the summer 40 degrees plus.. What do you think?

Thanks

Mike

JDC5

Charged DC5
Oilman,

I have been always using the Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w40 for my oil change, however i always do an oil change every 4k and to keep changing it at £40+ ago each time is costing me alot... can you recommend me something that is cheaper to use, i guess because i do change my oil regular due to the engine being a supercharged using Fuchs oil is good but costing me alot over the years.

how is the for example
- Mobil Super 3000 X1 5w-40
or
- Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 C3
or
- Gulf Competition 5w-40

Thanks

phozy888

Advanced Member
Oilman,

I have been always using the Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w40 for my oil change, however i always do an oil change every 4k and to keep changing it at £40+ ago each time is costing me alot... can you recommend me something that is cheaper to use, i guess because i do change my oil regular due to the engine being a supercharged using Fuchs oil is good but costing me alot over the years.

how is the for example
- Mobil Super 3000 X1 5w-40
or
- Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 C3
or
- Gulf Competition 5w-40

Thanks
I would go for the Gulf Comp as that's ester based and cheaper at 35 quid. I believe it is on par with the Pro S and Motul 300v oils

hondazzz

Advanced Member
Hey Oil man i am using 5w40, i am using ENEOS but since i really cant find any feedback apart from dyno gains (some of them extraordinary,anyway) i am thinking of changing to MOTUL 8100 OR Gulf Competition or Gulf Formula G, what do you suggest? Its more like a weekend car not match of a daily driven car if it matters

I 've read in Gulf Competition specs that is not suggested to be used in road cars especially if the car or engine its still under its warranty(or something like that dont quote me), so i guess Gulf Competition its not for me, what about Gulf Formula G? Is it ester based? Also there are a lot of types of Motul 8100, xmax xcess and so on. Which one you suggest?

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
Hi Oilman,

Can you recommend what I should do (if anything) with my next service.

The car is approasching 100k, it's my daily, and has been used on 5W-30 oil since i've had it. A friend of mine suggested moving to 0W-40 or an even thicker oil due to the age of the engine? I'm due a service soon, so was wondering what oil you would recommend (if any) to change to?

I'm using Mobil 1 at the moment.

Cheers,

Phil

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
Hi Phil

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition, and those are the ones that will do the most to keep things quiet. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Fuchs Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
Thanks Tim, think I'm going to go with the Fuchs Pro Race S.

Do you do any deals on plugs and oil together?

jono888

Advanced Member
Hi Oil Man,

Year 2002, long arm cold air induction kit, 68,000 miles, daily road use.

previous owner mentioned he used 5/40.

What would you suggest for engine oil?

Thanks,

Jono

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
Hi Jono

I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Fuchs Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Cheers

Tim

jono888

Advanced Member
Didn't realise that the oil change would take out the whole 5 litre bottle of Motul 8100 X-Cess - Now I need to buy a top up bottle but you don't sell any smaller than 5 litre? :(

rascal69

Advanced Member
I could do with some help.
Have 2 cars jdm ctr and dc5.
I was looking at the millers nano 5-40. This better than pro s?
Also what gearbox oil would you say is best for my car. Dc5 has mfactory final drive and lsd. Carbon lined syncos.
And would the gearbox oil you recommend be ok for ctr aswel. Uprated Lsd and spoon 5.1 fd in there

firthy22

Advanced Member
I could do with some help.
Have 2 cars jdm ctr and dc5.
I was looking at the millers nano 5-40. This better than pro s?
Also what gearbox oil would you say is best for my car. Dc5 has mfactory final drive and lsd. Carbon lined syncos.
And would the gearbox oil you recommend be ok for ctr aswel. Uprated Lsd and spoon 5.1 fd in there
I just did an oil change from pro s to Millers nano and the car definitely seems smoother and a little quieter qith the Nano. If it stays like this for the next 6 months I won't be using anything else but Millers nano.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Back to Motul 300V for me, I didn't get on with the running on the Silkolene Pro either. Runs much quieter now and smoother again.

scholey25

hi oilman

i have a just bought a 2001 dc5 with 65000 miles

standard apart from cat back exhaust!

have replaced the gearbox oil with honda mtf 3

working at vag dealership i have plenty of "quantum" oil of all grades readily available to me at no cost but was wondering will quantum platinum 5w 40 fully synthetic be suitable for the dc5?

thanks

matt

TypeNoob

hey guys

Honda ITR DC5
K20A engine
Type of Use: Daily use(road)

Recommended engine oil please, 5w-40 but what brand ?

Vtequila

Dutchy
Make - Honda
Model - Integra DC5 Type R
Year - 2002
Engine size/type - 2.0 liter k20a

Any mods - Buddyclub header, Tegiwa airbox, RBC intake, Mugen b-pipe and mugen twinloop

Type of use (road/track) - road

Additional info (max oil temps, current oil used) - 0,5 ltr per 2 months i think

What do you want a recommendation for? Engine, Gearbox etc? Gearbox and brake oil, I've got OEM brake lines

Lenmonster61

hi oil man. :xwavey:

I've just got myself a 2001 dc5 with basic upgrades, a drop in filter and cat back exhaust. its got 79000 miles on the clock, I only use it for work and back which is about a 10 mile round trip for 4 days then she rests for the next 4 days.

I've got it booked in for a service with tgm in the next couple of weeks but i need to top her up for now until the service but i don't know what oil is her now.

thanks for any advice. xthumbup

dc5ian

Advanced Member
oil man is going to advise you exactly the same as the other 1000s people that have posted up in this thread.

"I would use a 5w-40 synthetic and you will find those through the link below.

http://www.opieoils....-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XFS, Fuchs Supersyn, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives."