Oil advice and recommendations

alfie196

:-k If that is the case, then i will stick with it for now. Thanks.

I don't know a great deal about how the Vtec works, but i think its on oil pressure. If this oil is thinner (then 5w-40), will it also have a lower oil pressure at running temperature?

Liam

Dc5vic

Advanced Member
Oilman,i'm doin my first service on my dc5 and I am a little unsure what to get?

My car is totally standard with 120k kms on the clock but i'm hoping to be putting on a mugen twinloop and an induction kit in the coming months.

For the moment I ordered castrol edge 5w 30?is this ok?thanks

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
Hi

Yes, the Edge 5w-30 is fine, it's a really good quality oil. If the car gets driven hard, go for a 5w-40 next time, but those engines are fine on anything from a 0w-30 to 10w-40.

Cheers

Tim

Dc5vic

Advanced Member
oilman said:
Hi

Yes, the Edge 5w-30 is fine, it's a really good quality oil. If the car gets driven hard, go for a 5w-40 next time, but those engines are fine on anything from a 0w-30 to 10w-40.

Cheers

Tim
Thats good because I can get 5L for €20,my mate runs a motor factors.
If I start to modify it i'll up it to 5w-40.thanks for your help Tim.

jason100

Hi, just wanted to clarify something, i just recently got the new fuchs titan pro s 5w-40 and noticed that when it was silkolene its classed as a ester synthetic but titan is a fully synthetic oil is there any difference in the oil or is it the same jungle juice? Also my oil turns a very dark brown within a 1000 miles, but i change it every 5000, is this a sign of the oil breaking down and loseing its "goodness" or is this a natural process and still just as good?

Regards, Jason :)

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
Hi Jason

The Fuchs and Silkolene Pro S are exactly the same oil, same container, different label. Fuchs have owned Silkolene for years, but they finally got their name on the best car products. Bike stuff is still Silkolene.

The oil changing colour is a good thing as it shows the oil is cleaning the engine. Even though it's changed colour, it's fine.

Cheers

Tim

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
Thanks for the order.

That's pretty good going, I'll pass on the thanks to the packing guys.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Hi Oilman i am going to be supercharging the car soon, I have used mobil1 0w-40 for the last 2 years now with just the regular mods. I was thinking of moving to Castrol edge sport 5w-40, should i stick to the mobil? What is your top recomendation for the dc5 from your selection of oils?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi. My cars done 82k and I've only got a few breathing mods. Have been changing the oil with valvoline 5w 40 Synpower. Is this ok? Seems to be a good oil but you don't mention it at all!! Will be changing it again soon. What would you recommend on this mileage of car. I only do 12 miles a day to work and back and occasional trips up the motorway (100 miles)

Cheers

oilman

Authorised Advertiser
It's an okay oil, but nothing special so we don't sell it. You can do a lot better and get one of the ester based 5w-40 oils, but you could do worse.

Cheers

Tim

Hoti

Advanced Member
Ive recently got my new dc5 and the oil level is running low so i bought some 5w-40 motul oil, but i dont know what oil is in the engine at the moment, is it the worst thing in the world to slightly mix it? Cheers.

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Hi oilman, coming up to my first service since buying the car. From what the previous owner said it has only ever been ran on 0w60 Castrol TWS motorsport oil. Is it best to continue this? Also is "edge" the same as TWS as I'm struggling to find some?

Dc5 2002 - 55k miles
Basic breathing mods + remap
Road use, rarely driven hard