Poor Fuel Consumption

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Couldnt find anything with search...

Been driving like abit of granny, maybe the odd splash of vtec but 95% of the time dont go over 4k revs. Just worked out on MPG calculator that im only getting 22mpg. Im not expecting miracles but driving at a steady pace etc was expecting to get a little better :(

The car does seem a little sluggish in the mornings till it warms up but thought that was down to the cold weather :xconfused: Done a air filter change, oil change and plug change over a month ago and car was running great until last week i noticed i was having to fill more often than usual.

Any ideas?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I found to get almost 40mpg you have to completely avoid vtec and I mean completely, easy on the throttle, don't put your foot completely down and you will need to be doing Long boring motorway driving to achieve that.

22mpg sounds low, but is that mostly pottering around town?

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Thats to and from work, 15minute drive each time. Over a month ago I was getting a average 38mpg

dave c

400hp K20
does seem very low can't help with suggestions other than a leak somewhere? Weather shouldn't make too much of a differance and thas the only thing thats changed recently :?

eXceed

Resident Driver
And you've got no engine lights come on? Couldn't be something simple like filters needing a change (air, oil, fuel) and perhaps spark plug change?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I would say its down to the cold weather, the car will use more fuel, that and only driving 15mins, the car is hardly even warmed up.

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
22mpg seems poor to me, even in this cold waether :(

My journey to work is 7 miles each way so car barely gets chance to warm up either and 50% of that is in a 30mph zone and the rest 60mph

I still manage to get 400+ miles out of a full tank so thats minimum 35mpg.

eXceed

Resident Driver
PORTHOS said:
I would say its down to the cold weather, the car will use more fuel, that and only driving 15mins, the car is hardly even warmed up.
Hmm my car uses less fuel when it's cold to allow it to warm up... Although I do have kpro. I'd have to point towards O2 sensor after checking the filters (which are probably unlikely to affect mpg that much).

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Could be anything really, Thinking of getting a KPRO myself actually though. Lots of people been getting more mpg 8)

armjoker

Advanced Member
CaLi said:
I still manage to get 400+ miles out of a full tank so thats minimum 35mpg.
Are u sure about that? On motorway or city? Dude my 1.5 ek3 wasnt making that much! 400-420 km full tank Mix driving, motorway/city. If im not mistaking its smaller tank on ek3 but anyway...

By my calculations this guy makes 9.25km per liter. What mods he has? Im doing 7.5 km per liter only AEM CAI :shock: :?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
yeah its a fifty litre tank right? so thats 11.111 gallons yeah?

i mainly drive in either 30mph zones or 60's where i generally cruise at 55ish, i would say i drive really thoughfullly about being efficient.

i can easily get 400 miles froma tank

so 400 / 11.111 = 36mpg

Mark_teg

Staff member
CaLi said:
yeah its a fifty litre tank right? so thats 11.111 gallons yeah?

i mainly drive in either 30mph zones or 60's where i generally cruise at 55ish, i would say i drive really thoughfullly about being efficient.

i can easily get 400 miles froma tank

so 400 / 11.111 = 36mpg

:lol: So you use all of them fifty litres do you?

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
pretty much so, shudnt really let it get to empty i know as it drags shit thru but a usual fill up i put it 49.x litres

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
i can see how you get 400 miles if you drive right down to completely empty, ive been getting 350miles on just under 40 litres and thats about 40mpg

-Woody-

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
And you've got no engine lights come on? Couldn't be something simple like filters needing a change (air, oil, fuel) and perhaps spark plug change?
No engine lights no, never had any problems. Recently done a service, not the fuel filter though...could it be that?

VT-Doo said:
Do you have K-Pro?

Poor MPG is a classic sign of the O2 sensor failing :(
Dont have K-Pro...yet!

I think it could be down to the weather, running the car for a few mins while i sit there freezing my tits off till it warms probably dont help.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
-Woody- said:
Dont have K-Pro...yet!

I think it could be down to the weather, running the car for a few mins while i sit there freezing my tits off till it warms probably dont help.
I would say thats your problem there 8)

Apparently 10 seconds of idle uses more petrol than turning your car on and off.

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Really? I always though it was the other way round :lol: The fact that your car uses more petrol being started rather than idling for a minute or so