Poor Fuel Consumption

Armenomania

Advanced Member
-Woody- said:
Half way through after my refill and already my mpg is looking worse than before! :( For the first few days it was looking good but just on the way home yesterday it appeared as though i used nearly a quarter of a tank. My work is only a 15 mile journey.

Due to my buddy club cat back could my car be running lean?
i got buddy club too,bro...

dave kil

Advanced Member
Is it a myth or an actual fact that filling up every time helps with fuel consumption?

I've always heard that filling up is more economical.
I always try fill up when its flippin' cold so you get that little bit more fuel for your money :green:

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
armjoker said:
Guys when you convert km to miles on the car. i mean the system it runs so it shows miles instead of km, do they convert the A trip and b trip to show in miles? I guess the guys are looking in trip a and b that they make 400 km and they think its miles :wink: Can someone check that please. I have asked 4 owners of dc5 in here nobody even got close to that "economy" driving :)
i have checked this today and the trip A and B both go up the same as the main mileage.

dave kilr said:
Is it a myth or an actual fact that filling up every time helps with fuel consumption?
well its not as economical to fill to the briml as your carrying more fuel so car is heavier, on the other hand if you go out of your way to fill up again then your cancelling out the fuel your saving.

john boy

Advanced Member
Armenomania said:
-Woody- said:
Half way through after my refill and already my mpg is looking worse than before! :( For the first few days it was looking good but just on the way home yesterday it appeared as though i used nearly a quarter of a tank. My work is only a 15 mile journey.

Due to my buddy club cat back could my car be running lean?
i got buddy club too,bro...
,i got 300miles on a full tank that was full till light on steady driving with hardly any v-tec,i got buddy club 2 maybe drinking more due to putting foot down as you like the sound,i normally get about 220miles when i v-tec etc

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Driving to devon and back (Plymouth to Orpington) I used to be able to do it on one tank 8) no traffic, constant speed of about 60mph.

That works out to almost 450 miles a Tank 8)

Stock (minus exhaust) with BP 97 Although my car is lighter than stock by about 4kg's (might help a little!)

eXceed

Resident Driver
My car was running rich when I had the pro spec without kpro. If you were running lean you'd use less petrol but it would of course not be good for the engine...

armjoker

Advanced Member
yes but guys we are not talking about 1 long range trip, one time start, drive all the time 60/70m/h. What I am saying is how much do u spend on everyday use. like u start your car morning, worm it up 5 min, drive in city, traffic lights, traffic jams 1st gear, stop 1st gear stop. or max use 4/5 gears. vteck sometimes, use AC/heater if needed. and like this everyday. try it and ill see if u can get at list 300 miles out of tank.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Filled up this morning and got 35.3MPG, that was with a bit of VTEC action but not alot in the last 5 days as its been cold and was worried about ice! filled up quite abit before the light came on, only got in 37 liters but did 290 miles on it.

Maybe i just drive like a grandad but i've not been able to get any less than 32mpg in a year of ownership :? Infact the last time i got below 34MPG was the 5th of June :lol:

Some of you guys should really register on Fuelly, there's even an iPhone front end to the website to input your fuel ups on the go!

armjoker

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
I get 270-280 miles per tank. As soon as the light comes on, I fill up.
Thats everyday driving, no motorway, the odd 'A' road and odd vtec fun :)

I use this calculator each time I fill up, get 29/30mpg with 'everyday driving'.

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php
so how u get 29/30mpg if u say full tank u make 280?

50L tank is 13 gallons right?

so if u make 280m per 13 gallon(full tank) its 21.5 miles per gallon not 29/30

Mark_teg

Staff member
armjoker said:
Mark_teg said:
I get 270-280 miles per tank. As soon as the light comes on, I fill up.
Thats everyday driving, no motorway, the odd 'A' road and odd vtec fun :)

I use this calculator each time I fill up, get 29/30mpg with 'everyday driving'.

http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php
so how u get 29/30mpg if u say full tank u make 280?

50L tank is 13 gallons right?

so if u make 280m per 13 gallon(full tank) its 21.5 miles per gallon not 29/30
Because I never fit anywhere near 50Litres in, usually around 43 IIRC :wink:

Everybody will use their own method of working out their cars MPG. Only when we use the same method can we compare, hence the link I've posted :idea:
At the petrol station, fill you're car until the pumps first click (full).
Use the petrol, when light comes on, return to petrol station, fill car until pumps first click (full).
Record how many litres it took (at pump/reciept) - this is much it burned (obviously). Enter this figure into link/calculator I posted above.

In my opinion, thats as accurate as you can possibly get.
HTH

armjoker

Advanced Member
sovietspybob said:
Filled up this morning and got 35.3MPG, that was with a bit of VTEC action but not alot in the last 5 days as its been cold and was worried about ice! filled up quite abit before the light came on, only got in 37 liters but did 290 miles on it.

Maybe i just drive like a grandad but i've not been able to get any less than 32mpg in a year of ownership :? Infact the last time i got below 34MPG was the 5th of June :lol:

Some of you guys should really register on Fuelly, there's even an iPhone front end to the website to input your fuel ups on the go!
if u make 32mpg its mean u make 416 m per tank = 670 km and u did a bit of vtec... its a miracle :) I cant believe ffs how its possible:?: :?: :?: what mods u have?

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
armjoker said:
sovietspybob said:

if u make 32mpg its mean u make 416 m per tank = 670 km and u did a bit of vtec... its a miracle :) I cant believe ffs how its possible:?: :?: :?: what mods u have?
Well i never fill up more than 40-45 liters so the most i get in the real world is 350 miles

I guess in theory with the max MPG i can get on my daily commute (just over 40mpg) i could get 450 miles if i drove till it was completely empty, thats about 720km

No mods to speak of on the car really, pretty standard. TBH its only a normal 2 liter car if you don't VTEC so i'd expect to be pushing 40mpg from a 2.0 NA engine

My daily commute is 70 or 80 miles (depending on which way i go) along a mix of all road types from dual carriage way at 70 to towns at 30

donkeykong

Advanced Member
I think it really depends on how your drive! i drive quite sporty and sometimes vtec
mostly i get 300 miles with 10 liters left in the tank :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
donkeykong said:
I think it really depends on how your drive! i drive quite sporty and sometimes vtec
I drive slower than a granny... :lol:

Vtec used once a week, if that.

When I go down the Motorway though It's a different story :xvtec:

Armenomania

Advanced Member
PORTHOS said:
donkeykong said:
I drive slower than a granny... :lol:

Vtec used once a week, if that.

When I go down the Motorway though It's a different story :xvtec:
Guys, cmon!
Its a Type R and it should be driven like a TYPE FUCKINGGG RRRRR ;))))) who cares about a fuel consumption ?

If I want to make economy,I drive the 1.5L VTi CIVIC of my dad :lol: :lol: :lol:

jay82

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
Once converted the trip reads in miles, the pulse from the gearbox is interrupted and elongated ( kind of) so the car is still in kms they are just longer than normal kms ( the same length as a mile as it would happen)
You are only likely to get that amount of miles per gallon an a really long steady run with no vtec at a constant mph with no start and stops etc
but what happens to the km after you stick the car into miles :?:
does all the mileage get converted :?:
whats to say a garage just changed the speedo and left the mileage in km :?:

Emma

Advanced Member
-Woody- said:
Couldnt find anything with search...

Been driving like abit of granny, maybe the odd splash of vtec but 95% of the time dont go over 4k revs. Just worked out on MPG calculator that im only getting 22mpg. Im not expecting miracles but driving at a steady pace etc was expecting to get a little better :(

The car does seem a little sluggish in the mornings till it warms up but thought that was down to the cold weather :xconfused: Done a air filter change, oil change and plug change over a month ago and car was running great until last week i noticed i was having to fill more often than usual.

Any ideas?
Its must be a Teggy and cold weather thing with poor fuel. My DC2 went down to 24 mpg in very cold weather and it seems the DC5 is far worse :(

l drive about 8 miles a day to work in a 30 mph limit and during this snowy, icy weather l have only been getting 19 to 20 mpg :eek:

Normally l get 36 to 38 mpg so as the car is running okay except for the odd starter noise (again when its cold) l am just wishing for some warmer weather!