Suspension thoughts UK roads

Linus27

Advanced Member
Thanks for the write up Tonksy. I'm following the same route as you. I have gone from Goodyear F1's to AD08r's. I also have a FRSU. Currently on OEM shocks with Spoon springs but will be installing B16's over winter. Have the battled sump already and will also be getting the K-tuned shifter.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
One thing I've noticed with my shifter is that after a long/enthusiastic drive, it gets creaky and a little stiff.

I have already washed out and re-greased it which has slightly improved it but it's still there.

Pretty sure this is down to it conducting heat from the 60RS and cooking the grease. So my next attempt to remedy it is to wash it out again and re-grease again but with silicone grease as it's more heat resistant. Will also heat wrap that area of the exhaust.

Just thought I'd make you aware in case you have a J's or aftermarket exhaust.

I'm considering either a clockwise baffled sump, or I might splurge and go for a Spoon one. Will talk to Tom and see what he can offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I will be having my ad08r fitted on Monday and an alignment on Tuesday, so with my B14s will be almost identical to you!
The B14s do still feel great and soak up bumps nicely.
You might need to soften the damping slightly incase it isn't rebounding quick enough to absorb the next bump that comes along.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
I will be having my ad08r fitted on Monday and an alignment on Tuesday, so with my B14s will be almost identical to you!
The B14s do still feel great and soak up bumps nicely.
You might need to soften the damping slightly incase it isn't rebounding quick enough to absorb the next bump that comes along.
Yeah. I'm going to Devon next weekend for the week so will see how I get on with them during that time. If they are still a bit stiff I might turn then down a couple of clicks.

adam.

Advanced Member
Welcome to the club, chap. :)

TonksyDC5 said:
Been out for an early morning blast. Yup, handling is massively improved. It was always going to be given the B16, AD08R and FRSU. But it's silly how well it grips and corners now compared to the F1's and OEM suspension with Eibach springs.

Little bouncy on uneven roads but I do have the hardest setting and they were pretty bumpy areas. So nothing unexpected.

Think I might need bigger bucket seats to keep me in place, and a baffled sump next ha ha.

Still early days but so far I am very very impressed!!

Don't know how the B16 compare to B14 but either would be a sound investment.

Now all I need is 80 more BHP and it'll be the car it should have been from the factory!

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:
Welcome to the club, chap. :)

Now all I need is 80 more BHP and it'll be the car it should have been from the factory!
I'm seriously considering going down the SC road early next year.

Yes I know with the money it costs on top purchase price of the car and other mods I should just buy an Evo etc. But I don't want an Evo, I love my 5!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Another quick update.

Adjusted the damping yesterday evening and took her out for another run this morning. No where near as harsh. A good mix of comfort and firmness.

The settings are 1 (full attack mode), previous setting, to 9. I went for 3 and think it's pretty much spot on. I didn't try 2 as I didn't think I'd notice the difference so going to try this next and see what it's like. Will report back when that's done.

For those buying the B16, some info on where to adjusters are located.

The rear ones can be changed via the boot. The front ones have to be done with the front wheel on full lock and getting in the wheel arch. Pictures below.

Rear:

Front (you need to remove the blue cap):

I can't stress how much of a difference B16, AD08R and FRSU has made. It grips and grips and grips. Can't recommend this setup enough!

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Nice report on the bilstein setup.

The great feeing and reponse will be down to the spring rates being the correct ratio for the chassis.

Im debating changing my spring rates for more road friendly use. I might go for 8kg and 14kg as i have a beefy 32mm rear arb

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
Nice report on the bilstein setup.

The great feeing and reponse will be down to the spring rates being the correct ratio for the chassis.

Im debating changing my spring rates for more road friendly use. I might go for 8kg and 14kg as i have a beefy 32mm rear arb
Do you notice and difference with the ARB? I occasionally look at the the Progress RARB.

Spoke to TGM about it and they seem to run OEM on their race cars.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Damping on B16 is adjustable and so is the height.

B14 is only height adjustable.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
TonksyDC5 said:
Do you notice and difference with the ARB? I occasionally look at the the Progress RARB.

Spoke to TGM about it and they seem to run OEM on their race cars.

If your spring rates are spot on like on the bilsteins oem arb is fine.

You probably read that the dc5 chassis requires the rear rate to be twice the front.

When running stiffer spring rates up front the rear requires a stupidly stiff spring, the beefier rear arb helps add roll stifness without getting too crazy with the rate. Im currently 13k/20k 32mm asr arb with a .25" bar wall. Stiffest bar available.

A bilstein 6k/12k or tgm spec nitron 7k/14k is bang on for the ratio and road use. I prefer high spring rates to reduce the front roll hence my setup. I do want to experiment though and my valving on the nitrons allows a bigger change in rates

I wont be doing as much track work for the next 6-12 months so thats why im debating making it more road friendly. My previous setup was 10/16 cusco rear arb but i plan on going softer than that hence 8/14 or maybe 7/12 and keeping the bigger arb. I also might not bother changing them. Ill have to see

spooke

Advanced Member
Currently on 8/12 with MeisterR's and OEM ARB, for road use I find it's pretty perfect and feels firm over rough roads (low damper setting) and my first time on track the car felt very stable and controllable, a bit tame - I think that could easily be changed with tyre pressures and damper settings though which I'll try next time.

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Anyone know the spring rates on Eibach Pro streets? I had some fitted about 12months ago and I can't help but feel I've ruined the car on anything but smooth roads. I have got thicker arb's debating changing them back to standard to try and help.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Mike if you like I can take you out in mine once it's all set up so you can see what the 6/12k is like.

mikeyw85

spooke said:
Currently on 8/12 with MeisterR's and OEM ARB, for road use I find it's pretty perfect and feels firm over rough roads (low damper setting) and my first time on track the car felt very stable and controllable, a bit tame - I think that could easily be changed with tyre pressures and damper settings though which I'll try next time.
I have the same set up and similar damping settings too, and I agree. I think the Meister R's are good in every aspect of daily driving.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Another quick update for those going down the B16 road.

As already mentioned the damping is from 1-9.

1 (full race) is as hard as they go and to me is for track work. I won't be using this on the road again, unless I'm in some smooth mountain pass in Europe ha ha.

2 (sport) is about spot on and I'll be sticking with this. More biased to stiffness than comfort but livable.

3 (comfort) is a good mix of comfort and sport. Probably better suited if you drive down bumpy roads all the time. Softer than Eibach setup I'd say, but still grips grips and grips.

Not tried 4-9 and probably won't need to.

Hobs

Hi Everyone,

I thinking of purchasing coil overs soon enough, from what i have seen in this tread these seem to be the best route to go for comfort and handling.

I have a few small question to ask to the people who have the B16 set up
1. Do these come with camber adjustable to mounts or use OEM top mounts ?
2. Where is the best place to purchase these that can also ship to Ireland ?