What Tyres?

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hi adz, I can only give you my own advice and/or opinions on this one; tyres are a very personal choice created by each driver's own experiences. When I bought my DC5 it had Bridgestones on, the weather was dry and I could not believe how good the grip and road-holding were. They started losing their hair just as the cold-snap and greasy roads arrived so, in the interests of safety, I decided to reshoe them. I know someone in the rubber trade so I went to him and asked for Toyos having just come away from a meet and discussed this very issue with everyone there - the general consensus was that Toyos were king, particularly in the wet. My man went ape at me, telling me that Bridgestones are the best on the market, that he refused to sell Toyos, and then told me a couple of horror stories about him and some of his mates on Toyos. I voiced my concerns about the Bridgestone's reputation in the wet and he strongly disagreed. However, his second recommendation was the F1s. I've run them for a couple of months now and have had no issues with them at all but will probably return to the Bridgestones for the summer when these run out. Like I said, though, tyres are a very personal choice dictated by your own experiences with them - Every Civic and ITR driver I know who has run the Toyos says they're the best, my man in the know refuses to supply them! Go figure :?

Adz

Advanced Member
Tell me about it! Im so confused! I read loadsa good stuff about the toyos too.. but my man said, "no way, cheap and not very good!" ..??

I have read some good stuff about the F1's too though, and I think they mite wear better.. Some of the tests seem to indicate they are very good in the dry as well as the wet, so Im hopein they will match up to the bridgestones!?.. :? :?:

Adz

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Adz,

I think most guys that have taken their cars on the track would agree that soft compound tyres like Toyo Proxies and Goodyear F1's will not last very long at all. I find after several laps of hard cornering they get too hot/soft and become awful. For the road I think they are fantastic. They are both pretty much identical since they share a similar tread pattern that cannot currently beaten in the wet. I think dry traction is better than the stock Bridgestones RE40's too. Wet tracking with the Bridgestones is hopeless.

Having said all this I think the Bridgestones are very acceptable for the track I'd be happy to run them. I'd probably run a hard compound half slick (ie Yoko AO32R). I need to get a second set of wheels to do this but I'm obsessed with buying super-light alloys but they don't come cheap. While I'm dithering I'm trashing my F1's at each track day. :)

That's my 2 cents worth anyhow.

Jon

Erm

Advanced Member
i had yokes on mine and the performance in the wet was shockingly bad :shock: :(

Trung

Advanced Member
Jon

Are you currently using Goodyear F1s on both track & street use?
Who supplies Yoko AO32R? I cant find them anywhere. :?
My Potenzas are on their way out now and will definately be gone by the time I finish Rockingham. A lot of people with CTRs are using Federals 215/45/17 which cost only £50 per tyre so Im most likely be going for those next. Its been rated a lot better than Potenzas on both wet & dry conditions and should be interesting on track.
I most probably be getting a deal with some lightweight rims hopefully in early March. :wink:

BTW, I had Yokos A539 on my Micra and it was freakin' dangerous on the wet too.

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Trung,

Yeah, I'm using Goodyear Eagle F1's for the track. Not very wise really because I melt them with too much conering punishment. Fantastic on the road in both wet and dry conditions.

I meant Yokohama Advan A032R :-

http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=2

I see they do a AO48 to :-

http://www.yokohamatire.com/TireIntro.asp?TireID=60
(limit size range though)

What make of light alloy wheels are going to go for? I don't think Team Dynamic wheels can be beaten for price / weight. If money was no object I'd buy Buddy Club Racing QFs or Volk TE-37s.

Cheers,

Jon

Post of 20 Feb:Mine came with Yokohama Advan AO 46, I find the ride very hard and the grip in the wet poor especially when its cold their like concrete. I travel to Thailand quite often and there they change tyres every 2 years as the rubber goes so hard with the heat, so I thing this is also part of the problem.

I’m soon going to change the fronts so I’m looking for a tyre that’s has a soft compound and also good in the wet.

It’s between Toyo or F1’s as I think both these are great in the wet, but which one will give me a softer ride over our poor Gloucestershire roads, anyone compared these ??? would appreciate any comments

Thanks for all the comments, went for F1, fantastic in wet and dry, and the ride is now very acceptable, even on our poor Glos roads :lol:

jonster

Advanced Member
Martin,

Glad you went with the F1's. The soft compound definately helps with the ride and also because they are new and have fresh tread it makes it feel like a softer ride.

If you want an even smoother ride, I can highly recommend fitting Spoon Progressive springs. They give a more supple ride but still bite down when cornering fast on the road or track when you need them. Being lower and looking cool is just a bonus.

Cheers,

Jon

Adz

Advanced Member
Hey Jonster.. my first mod is currently a toss up between GruppeM intake or Spoon Progressive's..
What sort of cost were the springs to buy/fit?..
much hassle?..

Cheers, Adz

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Adz,

It depends what you want. If the hard ride bugs you, then go for the springs now. I got Barwell to fit mine and they did a brilliant job. I did try and order the spring from them via Spoon Europe (£218 + VAT) and it took forever so I gave up and ordered them through Taka Kaira. This took just over a week to ship. Fantastic service. I can't remember how much they cost from Taka Kaira but I think it worked out about the same as buying from Spoon Europe. Barwell charged an hours labour to fit them according to their invoice but they did some other stuff at the same time. I'd budget for a couple of hours work for fitting a re-tracking. They charge approx £50 p/h. If you do go to Barwell, consider getting the TB rebored at the same time. It's much cheaper than buying a Spoon TB.

If you want more power and to set a good foundation for future power ups, I'd go for the GruppeM. Costs a bomb but you can't argue with an extra 9whp. It's still cheaper than getting a Mugen intake + 5Zigen grill combination which will probably achieve less. I'd like to see how loud the GruppeM is before getting one myself though.

Cheers,

Jon

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Hi Jon,

This is the chart on mine, fitted by me and dyno'ed this week...

... the car is otherwise as standard (so far :twisted: ),

Paul

Adz

Advanced Member
Hi Jon, can't say Im particualy bothered by the ride.. its no worse than I was expecting..
would be nice to be a touch lower though 8) How much did yours drop by?
My only concern is if they will have a positive or negative effect on the handling?..

Hi Jon
Thanks for the info on springs, The handling is great now with the F1's and at present the ride is not to hard for me, may think about springs later. I have a Jap handbook, pressures are 2.3 front, 2.2 back
Martin

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

The Spoon progressives drop the car by 25mm. I was more driven by ride improvement and track handling without wanting to go to the expense of coil-overs (which are usually harder than stock springs on all settings - hence road ride suffers). The Spoons improve things in all areas. Road ride is more supple. Track driving is as good as before but with less roll. No down sides at all. I'm very happy with mine.

You should have tyre pressure on a sticker just inside the drivers door (or is it the passenger) too.

Paul, you are paving the way for a Hondata map and decent cat-back. 215whp can be yours. Do it !!!! :D Seriously, how much louder is the GruppeM?

Jon

DC51VTC

Advanced Member
Jon, thanks for telling everyone what my next couple of mods are gonna be :roll: :lol:

The sound is very different to the OEM. Prior to fitting the engine sound (as I'm sure we all know) is quite simple - it merely raises in pitch and tone as you climb the rev-range. After fitting the GruppeM its characterisics change markedly. Cruising, steady speeds, idling etc sound just as before... However, pulling in sub-vtec now gets a good growl (like the sports cars of old :) ) and when you hit vtec it suddenly howls at you :shock: . This latter phenomena is so violent that I immediately had to have it checked out and make sure that all is in order, I actually wondered whether I'd put it together right... but all is good and you get used to it very quickly - only problem is you can't resist pulling out the growl or the howl as often as possible :D

The honest answer to your question (and I'm assuming you're asking re track-day limitations) is that I'm not sure if it's louder, just different. Hope that helps.

Trung

Advanced Member
Jon
You should've have anything to worry about if its regarding to trackday noise limit because the Mugen Sports exhaust system is just sooo quiet. :p

jonster

Advanced Member
Sorry Paul. I think most people expect these mods when you start with a serious purchase like a bad boy GruppeM :)

I wasn't really really worrying about induction noise stopping me from getting on the track. I kid myself that I want my car to be an everyday drive (despite no passenger / rear seats currently) and I don't want it to be too noisey with the missus on board. She gets car sick quite easily already so I don't want noise to encourage things.

I feel a GruppeM purchase coming on. Damn! I've been so good resisting mods recently too.

Trung, nothing is quiet at 8000revs with our engines even with my stealth Mugen :)

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
DC51VTC said:
Every Civic and ITR driver I know who has run the Toyos says they're the best, my man in the know refuses to supply them! Go figure :?
They are not all that great IMHO the worst tyre if you intend to track it, I wasted a set on track in my EK9.

I really don't understand the grumbles about the Bridgestones its a fine tyre and excellent compromise, the ware rate is low, and as long as you keep an eye on the pressures they are fantastic. The pressures will have a massive affect on the handling if incorrect.

I remember a Scooby/Evo wet trackday at Oulton Park on my old RE010's corning as quick as the scoobs, Evo's, and on the various runs I used to do that always were seemingly wet, had no problems with wet weather.

I found the OEM on the DC5 spot on for a track/road compromise.

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi Matt,

Believe me the stock DC5 Bridgestones are hopeless in the wet especially if you've done some power mods. They scrabble and jump about like crazy with a slightly wet road. The added torque you get from the Hondata map makes things much worse. Reducing the car's weight hasn't helped much either. I don't want to affect the cornering sharpness by lowering the the type pressure either.

The Toyos or F1's are great for the road but I agree they just scrub away too quickly on the track. I see a second set of wheels for track is the only option personally.

I would like to get a set of half slicks for some 16's I'm ordering for track only use. What do you recommend? Dunlop / Yokos?

Hope to see you a Bedford again sometime.

Cheers,

Jon