What Tyres?

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Jon if you want to do a Bedford day send me a message, should be able to get you on one for a reasable price, sorted out Mark, Mike and Fran.
You will have to see if you can stay ahead of me in my near standard Elise :xhaha:

I drove a DC5 on track in the wet with the B/S's, they felt fine to me, I know it sounds daft but if you can get some heat into them they are fine, I mess around with pressures all the time on track, as the weather is never the same. I havent driven a DC5 with Toyo's but they were truely awful in the dry, tramlined everywhere, on track they grip, grip, go, similar to a slick.

I think it is down to the rubber moving, as the whole pattern distorted on mine, its the same as the SO2, great in the wet, then show it a dry road, track (Ive seen many a scoob damaged driving SO2's on track), and the pattern starts moving, grip, grip, no feeling, kitty litter, what the feck happened, oh that will be the tyres then.

I would go for Dunlop's, the Yoko's are generally quite soft, OK on a Caterfield, Elise type car, but not good on a saloon, I have forgotten what the track tyre is called, I used Dunlop's (Slicks & Cut Slick) on my EK9, fantastic tyres.

If you are going to be running stickier rubber I would strongly advise coilovers, combination of the 2 and I really can't see anything being much quicker, the problem is then you need to start thinking of the extra stress on the drivetrain, ie Clutch, syncros, LSD, and I think if I went to Slicks/Cut Slicks in a Saloon type car, consider a cage.

What I did was buy a second set of alloys, bought 2nd hand slicks, did a few days and realised, a) the brakes werent up to it, b) when they go they go, c) Im going to have to uprate the clutch and be more gentle with my gear changes.

ps2london

Advanced Member
Very Funny to read all these post :)

Bridgestones RE040 is very fine tyres. both Dry and Wet.

they are what i am using at track

Dry tyre pressure: 39 front 36 rear
Wet Tyre Pressure: 33 front 30 rear

maybe u worry 39 and 36 is too high, try it and tell me what u think :twisted:

F1 is very good tyres too, but i will only use them for road, becuase i think they are abit too soft for track, best for Wet for sure.

now they have RE050...... really have no idea should i keep RE040 or go for RE050.... anyone know?

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Ha ha found a man who agrees :lol: , been doing trackdays for 4 years now :shock: and highly rate the compound, my Elise wears a similar tyre.

You do the opposite of me I reduce my dry temps, espeacily in the warmer months, winter I use road settings. When the surface is hot, your tyres will increase in pressure, too much pressure and the tyre will overheat, and you will scrub massive amounts of rubber off, the tyre generally wears quicker too, and you will lose grip, you will notice this on track as the car washes out wider (ie:-understeer) than expected.

In the wet I increase it dependant on conditions, really wet, you need the tyre walls to spread the water out.

It works for me, but again it depends on your driving style/technique.

Perhaps you should let me test all your cars :roll: :lol:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Having owned a EP3 before and ran on RE040's I had no trouble with them in both dry and wet on normal road driving :!:

I'm now running Toyo's for the road, and tbh great in the wet, however, they are wearing too fast for my liking :shock: :shock:

I will prob be going back to running Bridgestones once these are warn out (also will more than likely run these on my track alloys too), another factor is that I can get Bridgestones very cheap :D :D can get brand new EP3 one's for £35 inc Vat per corner, and before you ask, can only buy for myself or I risk taking the piss :? :?

Mike

BTW, heard mixed reports on the RE050's tbh, some EP3 owners have tried these and wish they had stuck too RE040's

Trung

Advanced Member
Think I'll bump up this thread.
Since my last post here I've fitted Kumho 712 Ecsta Supra. Absolutely cr@p on both wet and dry conditions. Poor traction on track and fast road driving. :x
Want to go back on RE040 but so expensive.
Where can I buy Yokohama Advan AO46? I believe they were standard fitment on some DC5s.
Has anyone tried Yokohama AVS Sport and the new Parada Spec2?

T666YPR

Hi Trung,

I've got the A046's on mine (see other thread)

Was dissapointed with them when I first got the car during the rainy season,but find on track when they let go,all four drift at the same time and are very predictable.

Can't find them for sale over here at all :?

Simon

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
Guys,

Has anyone sucessfully sourced some Yokohama Advan AO46's? Mine are due to expire... I so want to replace them with the same rubber. I've looked everywhere but with no joy!

A mate of mine has them on his UK EVO FQ. A call to my local Mitsi garage revealed that they only do them with a 235width!

To note: I had problem with the Advans when it came to the SVA. It failed because there was no load rating on the tyre! Wasnt a prob as my EP3 was still at hand, so I swapped the wheels over :wink:.

If I cant find a set, I'll invest in a set of Goodyear F1's... I think... or some Toyo Proxes. Hmmmmmm :xconfused:

T666YPR

I'm not happy with my Toyo's in the wet.

They aren't as good as the Yoko's were,and the Yoko's weren't too hot in the wet either.

Not had much chance to try them out properly in the dry,the Yoko's were very good.

Searched everywhere for the A046's when I needed to change and no luck.

The Goodyears come out very well in Autocar megatest recently.

scaryprowler

Advanced Member
I emailed info@yokohama.co.uk lastnight with regards to the Advan A046's, this is the reply I got today....

"Good morning Sir

Thank you for you're e-mail but in regards to the tyre that you are looking for it isn't a pattern which we bring into the country. If you like the tyre which is on the car so much the only advise I can offer is to change over to the AVS Sport tyre which is the same advise I would offer to anyone with a Mitsubishi Evo 7 or 8 . The Evo also comes into this country on A046 and they get on fine with the AVS Sports . Thank you once again hope I have been of some help."

Not happening then! Im a little reluctant to try the AVS's.

Eagle F1's it is then!

Thanks guys!

Duncs

I called yokohama uk yesterday about the load capacity,
and you are right they have no details about this tyre in uk,
it is for jap market only.
they were happy to give as much info about the tyres fitted to an import
EVO, but as you say they are not importing this spec tyre into
uk, one reason is they do not have the load rating on them.

Duncs

gone for the Goodyear f1 GSD3s post advan saga, largely due to the
positive response for them from here, plus i had a pair on my
GTiR which was renowned for understeer or oversteer (which ever
one it is were you go straight on)

Tarmac

Advanced Member
i just put the second set of Toyo Proxes on it. they were EUR130 a pop which wasn't bad. great tyre, but they don't last very long. another tyre I can recommend are Fuldha Extremos - expensive though - they were EUR180 a pop!

jonster

Advanced Member
Hi All,

I'm currently running Toyo Proxy T1-S's at the rear and T1-R's at the front. I gave them a good test at Goodwood a few weeks back on a very wet day and the T1-R's were fantastic. I had no oversteer at all (unless I tried hard). The rears were a little different because I had pumped them too hard initially, but when I reduced the pressure they were fine too. I had a scary moment with a 22stone passenger coming out of a negative camber bend where the back fish-tailed quite a bit. I managed to hold it fortunatley. Pretty much every other car that day span off the track (mostly Porches).

I had GoodYear F1's before and in comparison I feel the T1-Rs are better in the wet but the F1's are generally quieter. I've not tried th T1-Rs on a dry track yet. I expect they will scrub out just a quickly as other soft compound tyres but I hope the tougher side walls will make them last a bit longer.

Jon

Trung

Advanced Member
Jon
I don't suppose you used T1-Rs on your 16" Rotas?
The reason why I asked was because last night I drove my mate's DC2 which had T1-Rs on rear and crappy Kumho Escta Supra 712 on front. He runs the tyres on stock 15" rims.
The T1-Rs gave a hell of bodyroll due to the mega softside walls. The effect was back end twitching out but still gripped. :shock: