Which Tires - Bridgestone RE002, RE070 or Goodyear Eagle F1

Which Tire

• Total voters

FireDance

Advanced Member
Parry said:
From camskill online although didn't realise that they weren't the xl. Then checked again after and the xl was only £73+ postage for 225/45 r17 y xl
Why the XL?

I am looking at 215/45/R17 87Y TL which are £71.60

integraleo

Advanced Member
Xl are stiffer side wall which gives better feel on turn in and when warm doesn't give that squishy feeling.

Fahadl786

Advanced Member
Coming from Kumho Le sport to bridgestone potenza re70

Quite a frightening first experience.

Got my RE70's on today and it was wet. Intial thought and notice was that there was wheel spin in first gear medium throttle which wouldnt usually happen on the kumho. Anyway, throughtout the day as it got dry they did start to seriously impress me until i decided to push them i little more at night on a country road i know well. I approached a bend i usually do just slightly faster than normal and as i exited the bend the cars rear end swung out to the left, i counter steered and it swung to the right fishtailing. Managed to catch it thank god. But im left shaken. Cant remember if i braked which cause the cars balance to unsettle, the roads seemed dry, and there was no tyre screech during the loss of control. Really nervous about driving the car now. Miss my kumho tyres aswell they were tremendous. Will stick to them for another week and update....

integraleo

Advanced Member
Re070s are a summer tyre that requires heat and works best in the dry. I never push my car in the wet or even damp as it's easy to be caught out. I don't know how many miles you have on them yet but remember they need to be scrubbed in first. If people want to push thier cars in damp/wet conditions then re070s are not for you. But when roads are nice and dry they grip like a limpit!!
Remember reading a review of these vs ad08s and there was virtually nothing in it in terms of grip or lap times but the re070s inspired more confidence on the limit due to the ad08s squirming around under very hard cornering.

FireDance

Advanced Member
Fahadl786 said:

Got my RE70's on today and it was wet. Intial thought and notice was that there was wheel spin in first gear medium throttle which wouldnt usually happen on the kumho. Anyway, throughtout the day as it got dry they did start to seriously impress me until i decided to push them i little more at night on a country road i know well. I approached a bend i usually do just slightly faster than normal and as i exited the bend the cars rear end swung out to the left, i counter steered and it swung to the right fishtailing. Managed to catch it thank god. But im left shaken. Cant remember if i braked which cause the cars balance to unsettle, the roads seemed dry, and there was no tyre screech during the loss of control. Really nervous about driving the car now. Miss my kumho tyres aswell they were tremendous. Will stick to them for another week and update....
I am currently running Kuhmo on the fronts after needing to change from my faithful Falken (which I still have one the rears).
I hate them!!! I have used them on previous cars (ST's) & they were good, but on the DC I do not like them. I am trying the Goodyear's to see if they are good & I will let you know how I get on.

It is all about personal choice & individual driving styles, but I wonlt be using Kuhmo on my DC5 again :xno:

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Fahadl786 said:

Maybe the Goodyear's would have been better suited to your driving "style". Go steady mate, its a summer tyre as stated, more track orientated.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
My Goodyear's have started cutting up on the tyre wall, big chunks of tyre coming off.

Anyone else noticed this on theirs?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
My Goodyear's have started cutting up on the tyre wall, big chunks of tyre coming off.

Anyone else noticed this on theirs?
What?? Got any pictures dude? How worn are they etc.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I'll get some in a bit and upload them tonight. They're not that old tbh, started noticing it a couple of months back but didn't think much of it.

I know they do have soft tyre walls the Goodyear's.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
It's happening on one tyre, was fairly certain it was occurring on two.

Here's a couple of pictures, not normal that is is?

Benneh

Advanced Member
That's certainly not normal, I'd even go as far as saying that's a defect! Have you brushed that wheel against anything? In all honesty I'd be writing an email up and sending it to Goodyear themselves - it looks shocking!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Benneh said:
That's certainly not normal, I'd even go as far as saying that's a defect! Have you brushed that wheel against anything? In all honesty I'd be writing an email up and sending it to Goodyear themselves - it looks shocking!
Agree, if you haven't caught them on anything, send the pics to goooand see what they say.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Benneh said:
Jimmer said:
Agree, if you haven't caught them on anything, send the pics to goooand see what they say.
Really? I just thought it was because the walls were so soft tbh.

I'll do that then, will send them an email over the weekend.

I could have caught them on something but highly unlikely as I've been extra careful with the wheels since having them re-furbished.

I'll let you know how I get on. It's not likely to cause a safety issue is it?

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

I could have caught them on something but highly unlikely as I've been extra careful with the wheels since having them re-furbished.

Might be an MOT fail. Looks like the kerbing bead that some tyre's have for protecting the alloy's, is it on the nearside front? thats the wheel that usually gets damage most.

T.G.

Benneh

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:

As Topgeezer said, it could warrant an MOT fail. It's hard to tell how deep that is from the pictures, but if it's not too thick then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If however it's noticeably cutting in (I'm talking a good 10mm or more) then I'd be inclined to get it swapped / take it very easy on that corner.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Topgeezer said:
Might be an MOT fail. Looks like the kerbing bead that some tyre's have for protecting the alloy's, is it on the nearside front? thats the wheel that usually gets damage most.

T.G.
Benneh said:
As Topgeezer said, it could warrant an MOT fail. It's hard to tell how deep that is from the pictures, but if it's not too thick then I wouldn't worry too much about it. If however it's noticeably cutting in (I'm talking a good 10mm or more) then I'd be inclined to get it swapped / take it very easy on that corner.
Cheers guys.

Not too sure which side it is, have just finished work so will need to check it again tomorrow.

TBH I'm going to email Goodyear about it now and see what they come back with, not expecting much.

Re the MOT, it passed a few months back so I can only assume it's started happening since then.