Brake advice

dk123

Advanced Member
I love the ds2500's - really big difference over my previous teg with OEM set up. However the neighbours must think my brakes are knackered with the crazy brake squeal as mentioned by Cali. I now find it mildly amusing haha.

Mebz

Advanced Member
My ds2500 also squeal on the dc5 but they didn't when I had them on my fn2.

It's a good ice breaker when parking up.

Plus race car.....

I think I'm missing some shims, so was going to order some oem pads to get the shims and keep the pads as a spare set. Might not bother now if you guys are still getting squeal.

dk123

Advanced Member
Pleased we all suffer from the squeals haha. Reverse braking is definitely more of an attention grabber 🙈

beppe786

Beppe
Crazylegs said:
I've asked the same question over on their trader page but no one's responded. Think it was Beppe that's bought some but I could be wrong.

As an alternative and slightly cheaper, look at Hawk pads. The Hawk HPS ones look quite decent and they're cheaper than the Dixcel and get a good review. Still think the Dixcel will be a good pad though too.
i havent bought any yet.. still deciding

2ndy

Advanced Member
I've just got OEM front and rears but then my car is drive not even once a week and rarely driven to its limits, when I got the car the fronts where completely done and I was so disappointed in the brakes and wondered how people drove dc5s fast but after new front discs and pads the difference was amazing.. I've just bought new rear discs and pads as these where also quite worn so I'm sure it will feel good with those fitted..

Was thinking of going for braided lines and the master cylinder brace to see the difference they would make.

Would love to try some of the fancy discs and pads but being a student £300 just for pads isn't really realistic atm :( not that buying Honda discs and pads has been cheap

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
Braided lines and a fluid change will make a world of difference if it hasn't been done for a while. Fluid should be changed out every 2 years. A set of HEL lines will set you back about £80 quid and fluid £10. Well worth doing.

mickyboy22

Has anyone used the Ferodo racing DS performance pads on a track day? How would they hold up? In two minds whether to det the DS performance for £65 or the DS2500 for £100...? Already ordered some Mtec front discs, tempted to change the fluid aswel at the same time.

Teggs

Ideally you want to have the same spec pad on the front and back. From how it was explained to me, most cars from factory come with a slight additional bias towards front pads being used over the rear in terms of the 'best braking performance' (so factory the bias will use an additional 10% force at the front because regular joe deals with it better as less squirm on hard braking).

If you keep OEM on the back and say, CL5+ on the front you're having to get those nice expensive track pads to work even harder as the rear OEMs will give up, so your wear rate will increase on the fronts and you will decrease braking performance % further - of course upgraded fronts will still stop you much better, but not as best as possible. Ideally you want the same spec pads on the front and back and a bias valve to increase the back bias by an additional 10%.

Take what I've said with a pinch of salt though :) I don't know motorsport science, it will be different from car to car and it depends how the factory set up the car. But that's what I go on. I've gone for OEM on the rear as although the DS2500's are good on the front, I don't feel they are that much better than OEM front pads. But everyone keeps praising the CL5+'s so I will be getting the full set in a few months time.

Cheers
Ry
Again no mechanic or engineer here, but I read somewhere that 70-80% of braking is taken up with the front brakes, which makes sense, as soon as you slam on the stoppers most of the weight would transfer to the front of the car. This is probably the case with any road cars, although we're driving a performance car, in stock form it is still very soft compared to a race car, if you start suspension upgrades e.t.c to make the car 'flatter' and with less dive under braking then rear braking would surely become more important??

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I know this has been asked a million times before but I finally have some funds to replace the brembo OEM pads.

I've narrowed my choice down to Hawk HPS and Project MU HC 800, both seem like a decent pad but the MU's are more fast road/track focused than the HPS and also more expensive by about £30 which isn't a problem to me.

My thinking is the car is not likely to see much in the way of track action so perhaps the HPS would be better as it's for a daily drive car? I'll also be uprating the lines to TGM braided hoses and ATE Super blue Dot 4 fluid at the same time so overall pedal feel should be better with both.

I'm heading more towards the HPS if I'm being honest, worth going with my gut instinct? Hawk pads seem to be excellent and the HPS are bit like OEM but with more bite.

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance-street/pads/high-performance-street

http://www.hendyeshop.co.uk/front-brake-pads-honda-civic-fd2-integra-dc5-hc800-brembo-f206-10810-p.asp

Rom

Advanced Member
Teggs said:
Again no mechanic or engineer here, but I read somewhere that 70-80% of braking is taken up with the front brakes, which makes sense, as soon as you slam on the stoppers most of the weight would transfer to the front of the car. This is probably the case with any road cars, although we're driving a performance car, in stock form it is still very soft compared to a race car, if you start suspension upgrades e.t.c to make the car 'flatter' and with less dive under braking then rear braking would surely become more important??
Around 70% is the rough figure.
You are thinking of weight transfer and braking. Transfer is what happens when the front dives, or raises with acceleration. Also side to side transfer from cornering. This is something you want to reduce, as it unsettles the car. This is why lifting off mid corner can be an issue. The weight transfers, shifting grip, and bye bye back end.

While they relate, you approach them separately. The brake bias will always be about the same, regardless of suspension setup. Unless you specifically change the bias, this is pretty uncommon for most people, mainly race/ drift / heavy use track cars.
The front will always out brake the rear, even on rear wheel drive. You want the extra grip on the steering wheels from this effect. Its also easier to manage direction.
Rear brakes are always smaller, and often solid, so take far less heat.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've gone for the Hawk HP+ pad instead which is a fast road/track pad it seemingly has better stopping capabilities. Jon from Cambridge Motorsport says the stopping power once warm is massively different to the HPS but they are a very dusty pad and also squeal especially at low speeds but I'm not overly bothered about that.

Brakes should be here in the coming days along with some TGM lines which are being made and some Motul RBG600 fluid, can't wait to get some better pads on.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I've gone for the Hawk HP+ pad instead which is a fast road/track pad it seemingly has better stopping capabilities. Jon from Cambridge Motorsport says the stopping power once warm is massively different to the HPS but they are a very dusty pad and also squeal especially at low speeds but I'm not overly bothered about that.

Brakes should be here in the coming days along with some TGM lines which are being made and some Motul RBG600 fluid, can't wait to get some better pads on.
I have these. For road driving they squeal like mad, like ridiculously loud.... Only way to shut them up is using them heavily (on track) and even after that they will start to squeal again on the road after a while.

That being said they are amazing and the stopping power is really impressive.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
I have these. For road driving they squeal like mad, like ridiculously loud.... Only way to shut them up is using them heavily (on track) and even after that they will start to squeal again on the road after a while.

That being said they are amazing and the stopping power is really impressive.
That is good to hear.....apart from the squealing noise. lol

No, all jokes aside I'm looking forward to getting them on even if the car will see limited track action. I do drive quite hard so they should be ok for my needs I reckon.

What are they like for daily use Dan, a bit on the soft side or do they cope ok? Jon says they will stop fine but just the noise off them especially in town driving and low speeds can be very noisy and they're dusty too which isn't ideal having gloss white wheels but he recommended them over the HPS and they were only £15 more.

Very capable pad though you reckon?

Dan34

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
That is good to hear.....apart from the squealing noise. lol

No, all jokes aside I'm looking forward to getting them on even if the car will see limited track action. I do drive quite hard so they should be ok for my needs I reckon.

What are they like for daily use Dan, a bit on the soft side or do they cope ok? Jon says they will stop fine but just the noise off them especially in town driving and low speeds can be very noisy and they're dusty too which isn't ideal having gloss white wheels but he recommended them over the HPS and they were only £15 more.

Very capable pad though you reckon?
They're fine on the road, sometimes need a little heat in them but work pretty well from cold. Very dusty pad but that's to be expected.

If you can put up with the squealing then they're pretty amazing to be honest.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
i just got RPB front discs and PBS front pads fitted with braided brake lines and ATE blue fluid from brosport (aka area motorsport)

much better feel than the ferodo ds2500 i had on my other teg!

still bedding them in so not properly tested them out yet. how many miles is it that you should wait roughly? i've done 150

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
They're fine on the road, sometimes need a little heat in them but work pretty well from cold. Very dusty pad but that's to be expected.

If you can put up with the squealing then they're pretty amazing to be honest.
They sound pretty good, glad I've gone for them over the HPS now even if they do dust more.

Just hoping the fitment is right.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Silly question.

How do I measure the brake pad thickness on one of these pads, just checking to see whether they're 17mm or 14mm.

Can anyone advise please?