DC5 3D Model / Illustration Diary

kingston

Advanced Member
Starting to look abit cartoony now though :? :? :?

oh and before people start flaming me, ive seen some very decent stuff done on other rendering programmes that amke the cars look very real

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Exactly what looks cartoony?

I mean, this is the first time I've ever tried modelling a car (or anything else on this scale), and when someone makes a comment like they've 'seen plenty of decent stuff done in other programmes', it kinda makes me wonder why I'm bothering, or at least making my progress so public.

This was meant to be a diary thread, which means that I'll post up not only good updates, but also the less successful ones too, in the hope that constructive crits will make for a better final image.

So, as I was saying - can you be more specific?

Evs

Advanced Member
Just ignore him Paul - he's 'special'... :roll: :lol:

This is fascinating imho, keep it up 8)

kingston

Advanced Member
Just around the lights area, mainly the main beam, probably just the render being used and as theres no background, im guessing its shadowing the black....

You could have also used alias (think thats the programme) to model a car which might have been an easier programme to use... ive never seen the programme youre using so dont know what its specialities are.

Other programme for rendaring is 3d max, which ive used to good effect in the past.

Also the other computer rendars ive seen where from the transport design people at uni who we used to work alongside, needless to say, with it being in the top 3 design unis in the world, some of the stuff is kinda special :wink:

JiB

Advanced Member
I reckon it looks 8)

Constructive Criticism: Um, that front on pic, the car looks a bit squashed on the bottom bits? Maybe it's just me but the car should look a tiny bit taller? :oops:

Suped

Advanced Member
defo a good abit of detailing. Didn't know there was a curvy bit of pipe infront of the radiator. More than likely didn't take any notice of it. :lol:

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Finally added the head lamp lenses... Just noticed that one of the main lamps has no bulb though! Ooops!!! Anyway, back to it...

@ BadBadtz: Tell me about it! The photo I took for reference was disgusting!!! Looked like a bug mass grave! Gross...

@ JiB: I think that the front looking squashed is an illusion created by the top of the bonnet being cut out of the shot. The blueprints and the reference photos show the proportions to be pretty accurate. I did check though after you said!

@ Kingston: Yeah, that render was pretty crummy, which explains the wierdness of the light reflectors. Modo (the package I'm using) is still pretty early, but the guys that created it are ex-Newtek employees (they created Lightwave - one of the longest running industry standard 3D apps), so they know a thing or two. On all the CG forums Modo has been wowing 3D power users with its photo real renders, so what I have been doing with it should not really be used to judge the power of the application. Afterall, it's less than a year since I first started 3D at all, and I've only owned a copy of Modo for just over a month. Even though I would usually be the first to put myself down, I personally think I'm doing pretty well all things considered.

Anyway, more later.

kingston

Advanced Member
Ive not used any modelling packages in the past 2 years so have fallen out of the loop...

Not looking cartonny now though :wink:

Wootty

Advanced Member
I used to do some modelling for my Engineering roles and rendering using the old Studio Max - but that was noddy to your model matey - keep it up - excellent work......

The lighting was always the hardest part. I'd nock up a model in a day then spend the rest of the week sorting out the lighting and surface finish.

Looks like you got it sussed though.

Keep up the good work

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
New update. Not much changed from the last one. Main areas are that you can no longer see straight through the grills etc., the front badge now looks much more 'bling', and the bumper shape has been finalised. Just a couple of extra details to add, then the front is complete.

dan the man

Advanced Member
just a few points which are very summat and nowt'

As ive been looking at my car front in detail since i bumped it a little, trying to figure out the gaps etc...

The headlight line on the bonnet side is not one all the way up in one. It has a step in the plastic where the bonnet hits it and thats how it fits snug with the ruber seal underneath.

And your pic above, the right hand side of the bonnet, is it not a little high at the point where the corner is at the bottom against the light? i mean it sticks up a bit and u would catch your sponge on it..

:oops: :oops: sorry but what i spotted. its awsome :!:

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Been playing with the other colours that the Integra Type R is available in...

Dan, sorry to hear you've had a bump! :cry: with regards to the bits you pointed out, the main body of the light will have to stay as it is now, as to make a change like that would mean pretty much re-modelling the whole cluster. Not a prospect I would look forward to!

The bonnet is a tricky one, as every DC5 I've seen has a gap at the edge of the bonnet. From experience, my sponge does snag on it!!! In fact I was told that if ever I found a DC5 where the bonnet aligns with the bumper perfectly, it either has a third party bonnet/bumper or its been pranged and repaired! I will have a look if it's not quite right though, and see if I can get it to look more authentic.

dan the man

Advanced Member
not really owt major... cant tell unless u have a proper gander, was ages ago..just nudged someone in traffic like..der!

anyway the drawing u have is ace dont get me wrong and changing the whole thing would be a bastard ill admit.

look at this picture and u will see what i mean. the line of bonnet dosent stick up as much and also i think the 'point' in the headlight after the inner dip is not as long,, the bit where its next to the grill side.

but after all said and done its still class.im just murder fine details..whether its women, cars, houses or anything :!: :oops: :lol:

keep it up lad. :D