DC5 3D Model / Illustration Diary

wide_mouth_frog

D1

Hi Sumimasen...... did you see the DC5 on the trade stands??? I was selling my Racing Puma there :)

some very sidways action on track!!! managed to get some great shots through out the day

Adam

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Another update. I've spent the last couple of evenings just putting together everything I've done so far. Most of this time was spent switching between HDRI Lightprobe setup and Global Illumination. Settled on HDRI as GI was giving strange render errors in the shadow areas.

I think tonight I'll try to finish the front grill and air dam, then rough out the rest of the shell. Anyway, hope you like the latest pic!

Hi Wide Mouth Frog - Yes I did see the Time Attack 'Teg in the trade mall. Saw it out on track on the Saturday too. Met the driver as well - nice bloke, just understandably a bit focused! So that was your Racing Puma then? Nice.

mikegsi

Staff member
wow, when i saw the pic of the headlight i htought you'd cheated and posted an actual picture up!!!!! :shock:

it all looks mint mate and far far far better than anything i could ever do, (but) i think the bonnet needs to be a little longer if you know what i mean, its more like a beetle's bonnet (as an opposite EXTREME) than a dc5's if you catch my drift?????

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Okey-dokey...

Here's the very first test of my new lighting setup. It's a similar model to one we are trying to use at work in lightwave, and it's given some good results. This setup is the same in principle, but differs in execution, and *should* be more flexible to simulate both indor and outdoor scenes. The only issue is with extended render times, but then you can see just how noise-free this (very) rough render is, I think you'll agree that it could be worth it.

Anyway, here's the latest image:

I'll try to refine the setup this evening, and post some more tests later.

@ Mikegsi: The model is (pretty) accurately modelled using blueprints and actual dimensions. If the bonnet looks a bit short, it's almost certain to be the viewing angle. I will check the file to make sure no random 'squishage' has occured. Technical term... :D

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Next image update!

Been playing around with the 'tardis' setup and it's looking nice. I'm having real problems with the gradient editor (the only part of 201 that doesn't seem intuitive?) but once I've cracked that, then I should be able to get some better results.

Also, after a bit of a delay caused by scene setup, I've actually done some more modelling!!! The front air dam is now divided into its three parts, and I've added the surrounds for the brake air ducts and the main air dam, and also added a rough front apron. The front is coming together now.

Hope you like!

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Reverted back to a HDRI lightprobe for illumination (I know - I SHOULD finish the model before I start the lighting...)

Just a couple of quick renders. The first is a similar shot to the last one, but with a new studio HDRI (which is pretty abstract - works quite well).

The second is using the same setup, just moved the camera. This shot will probably look really cool when the rest of the car is in (and you can't see through parts like the air dam and the headlamps!) I thought I'd post it cos it looks pretty nice.

Gonna do some more work on this today (as I have a day off) so will post more later.

j9jrx

Advanced Member
Class xthumbup
have you made the front splitter slightly bigger. just it seems to stick out a bit more. looks really good though. fancy getting one for my car :D

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Cheers guys.

For these shots I added more accurate shape to the splitter, but in doing so, pulled the front out way too far. The side canard parts are about right though. I have just corrected this again, and will post up new shots later.

Just adding the OS wheel assembly now, then I want to finish the grills and add a radiator, so you cant see through the air dam. Next will be adding the headlamp lenses, washer jets and number plate mounting. Phew! :D

mikegsi

Staff member
the bonnet looks cock on there now chief!!! keep those pics coming you madman!!!!

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Possibly last update for tonight. Not a pretty render TBH, but it shows the new air dam grill and radiator off quite nicely. Unfortunately it also shows the holes in the backs of the lights and the wheels through the brake ducts... Ah well... Will sort those out soon enough.

More as and when...