Idling problem on my DC5, help ?

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Well basically, i have this idling problem in my car...

I have tried everything, serviced the car, changed my oxygen sensor (as that was throwing a error light), cleaned the throttle body and idle control valve. Nothing has actually fixed it.

When the car is stationary if i rev the car the revs will go up come back down, go back up again then settle.. video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON8jQP6OZPU

Whilst driving the car between gear changes it revs itself... heres a video to show what it does, so i, driving on 30 and put down my clutch, normally the revs should just dropped but on mine it doesn't it goes up and down...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9YG5C5RkMQ

The car is pretty much standard, Standard ECU everything standard all i have different is AEM long arm intake.

Its getting quite annoying now, so if someone can help me out be appreciated.

truupR

Advanced Member
I had this on mine. Then a few days later the EML came on. In my case its a 'perished' Primary O2 sensor. Mine does EXACTLY that until its fully up to temp and even then it hangs above 1 for 10/15 seconds when I coast or come to a stop.

Mbk786

Advanced Member
truupR said:
I had this on mine. Then a few days later the EML came on. In my case its a 'perished' Primary O2 sensor. Mine does EXACTLY that until its fully up to temp and even then it hangs above 1 for 10/15 seconds when I coast or come to a stop.
aah okay, mine does it on cold and warm, and i have bought a new O2 sensor and changed it

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Would the speed converter/de-limiter cause it? May be worth a shot. New ones about £40 I believe.

Mark_teg

Staff member
The speedo converter has no effect on engine speed James.

I'd say your IAC valve requires cleaning / lubricating.
Either that or you have a slight leak somewhere between the throttle body and head, probably one of the throttle body gaskets.

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:

Either that or you have a slight leak somewhere between the throttle body and head, probably one of the throttle body gaskets.
IAC i have opened up cleaned and lubricated... ill search for the leak etc, and let you guys know the verdict

qamvti

Advanced Member
Mine did this when I had it sorted it self out after some hard driving. How long has it been doing it? Failing that did you changed the gasket when you cleaned the throttle body. Let us know how you get on.
Kam

Mbk786

Advanced Member
qamvti said:
Mine did this when I had it sorted it self out after some hard driving. How long has it been doing it? Failing that did you changed the gasket when you cleaned the throttle body. Let us know how you get on.
Kam
its been doing it since i have owned the car which has only been since december, and i didn't change the gaskets when i cleaned it

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:

Yeah did doubt myself after with that one. lol.

Its a pain to get the old gasket off but well worth changing whilst its open.;)

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Yeah did doubt myself after with that one. lol.

Its a pain to get the old gasket off but well worth changing whilst its open. ;)
okay thanks ill get that done

Alexander0628

Advanced Member
hey bud.

i had the second video happen to me the other day, so iv taking it all apart and cleaned it up, like you but now its like the first video you posted, iv changed the gaskets and re checked everything was sealed, im also finding it hard to change gear now sometimes because of the engine revving i gess?

iv have a new IACV so im gonna change that over hopefully next weekend. let me know if it fixes your problem and il do the same.

Mbk786

Advanced Member
Alexander0628 said:
hey bud.

i had the second video happen to me the other day, so iv taking it all apart and cleaned it up, like you but now its like the first video you posted, iv changed the gaskets and re checked everything was sealed, im also finding it hard to change gear now sometimes because of the engine revving i gess?

iv have a new IACV so im gonna change that over hopefully next weekend. let me know if it fixes your problem and il do the same.
Thanks buddy, let me know how yours goes too after you replace yours, I won't be replacing it till next weekend too

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
my money would be on a sticking iacv for sure, its a common problem, it can be rectified by cleaning but replacement is better,

Justintian

Advanced Member
I did have this issue similar to rpm up and down while in neutral. Assume the solenoid is function, then you need to clean the dust/carbon in the valve, a good clean with wd40 and some soap based liquid to clean the oil is what I did. You have to make sure that you move the half valve inside the iacv while soaking it in the liquid.
You see, the Wd40 is still a oil based liquid, you can clean the dirty or oil based stuff out of the iacv, but once wd40 dry out, you will still get sticky oil within the iacv. So next step of that would be clean it with surfactant based liquid, I used a diluted fairy liquid with water and spray-wipe with tissue-spray-wipe, repeat until no oil, tweezers are good for this or maybe tooth brush. The. Left it dry.

Let me know if I am wrong, the iacv is a electric controlled half open valve, where the wires for control the gap of valve is enclosed. I did not damage mine while in this way. So I hope it is fine with this method.

ben04

I had a similar problem on my civic, albeit a completley different series of engine. i cleaned out my IACV with Carb cleaner and de-greaser spray worked a treat!