Novice track day

spooke

Advanced Member
After seeing that EP3 roll on the first corner I've been put off by Brands Hatch... Although I don't plan on driving like a twat. :)

Would be cool to have a day with fellow DC5 owners!

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Adam, I am 100% interested in this aswell.

Fancy organizing a DC5 trip to one of these track days?

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I'm putting in for Thursday night off for brands on the 18th. It's happening.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
I'll be doing one early in the new year for sure so i'll keep an eye on this thread and see what ones people are going to.

Did my first ever track day at Donington in September and it wasn't off putting one bit!

emmsyDC5xx

Advanced Member
Big Big vote for HONDAS ON TRACK!!!!
I did my first ever track day with them at Croft Circuit and I was the biggest novice they had but I booked my instructor and was off.
They split the ability levels so novices together Hondas & Lotus but it's brilliant and so well policed if you will, no knobs allowed out or any actions that will spoil the enjoyment for others which is so refreshing!

On my first time out I happened to be with all the VTEC Challenge boys who were shaking down for the race series that weekend now that was scary as hell but off they went and did their thing and I did mine - needless to say I didn't see much of them lol But that was when there was 1 group for Honda only running on the track days.

Spoon_Sports_Europe

Parts Trader
For Combe I would go with BHP trackdays. I do about 5 a year there with them. They are a nice bunch, give free instruction to any newcomers and have some circuit masters on hand for anyone looking to improve their skills.

ash_dc5

I went to Combe on the 13th of February with Motorsport-Events, reasonable bunch of chaps there, quite strict so no overtaking in braking zones or on corners... Great for me as it's my first time on track in the teg and first time around combe... despite the weather it was a good day! Pic below for attention...

The track day cost almost £400 in total:
- £200 for the event
- £140 insurance (optional)
- £50 fuel
- £5 (food and drink)

I'll be going again in May (hopefully the weather will be better)!

If you google motorsport-events you can see their calendar/events they have with more info... there was only 2 Honda's last time!

FireDance

Advanced Member
Interested in this. I was looking to go to Abingdon or similar as I wanted to start on a smaller track

Chris_Glanzav98

Advanced Member
although its track people should be driving within their limits, but at the same time other drivers who are faster must be given right of way if she obeys the flags then this shouldnt be an issue, tbh if people are being reckless on track then its upto the marshals to intervene as it should be an enjoyable experience for everyone but i know where you are coming from mate, maybe an idea would be to try get on at a time that would be quiet maybe during the week i know it might be harder and more expensive for this time but will give her a feel for it

Rom

Advanced Member
Nothing wrong with Combe mate. I had no problem's my first time there. Just be sensible, which goes for any track.
Only cars to come off, were either driver thinking he's better than he was. Or thinking the car was better than it was.

That said, my mates love Llandow, lots more run off, but smaller track.

It's other people you need to watch out for. So I'd choose somewhere that enforces the rules. Only passing one side, it in bends etc.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

adam.

Advanced Member
Rom said:
It's other people you need to watch out for.
Always, this.

At Brands a couple of weeks back there were a couple of Billys being instructed in Caterfield Westerhams - Almost got side-swiped by one going into druids all locked up and aiming straight for my drivers door.

There will always be people both faster and slower than you.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Done a couple of open pit lane sessions at Oulton Park, really good fun.

Couple of weeks ago did a novice day at Oulton, didn't enjoy it.

I rather be the slowest guy there, let everyone pass and do my own thing. On the novice day, a lot people didn't let me pass and I can't force people out the way.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I really need to get one of these under my belt this year, don't think I can take not doing one anymore it's like torture lol.

Even if it means going skint a month and living off baked beans I'm going to get one done ha ha!

Can I get away with the cost of the trackday and fuel without any extra expenses such as tyres, servicing etc. Is it feasible as you hear horror stories about trackdays costing £500 - £600 at the end of the day which I cannot afford.

adam.

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Can I get away with the cost of the trackday and fuel without any extra expenses such as tyres, servicing etc. Is it feasible as you hear horror stories about trackdays costing £500 - £600 at the end of the day which I cannot afford.
Then don't do a track day.

It's an expensive hobby, so save up and have a little 'hobby fund' behind you when you do break your track duck.

integraleo

Advanced Member
I need to get mine on track soon. Keep saying I will but there's always more things I want to do before doing it. I know I drive pretty hard and do like to push the limits a bit so I'm fairly sure if there was someone in an equal car or equal driver the red mist would decend and I'd push it to the limit....that's when bad things happen! Think I've done well to get close to 40 and still yet to break my duck as it were.
Want better brakes first but everything else is ready. Final power run next month,baffled sump fitted,suspension done....always something else to do

Linus27

Advanced Member
Depending on what tyres you have, if you are just wanting to do one, then it will be relatively cheap. If tyres and brakes are currently ok, then all you will need is,

1. Track Day cost - £120 - £200
2. Fuel on track - £40 - £60
3. Fuel to the track and back £?
4. Possible hotel - £30 - £60
5. Oil - £10

Now if you add all that up then it can easily be between £200 - £400. If you are local to a track, then you don't need hotel and fuel to the track will be low.

The other things to budget in are foot pump, driving shoes/trainers, tools, paper towel, glass cleaner, long sleeve top. If you have all that already then even more savings.

Just pick your track day organizer wisely.

Fez

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I really need to get one of these under my belt this year, don't think I can take not doing one anymore it's like torture lol.

Even if it means going skint a month and living off baked beans I'm going to get one done ha ha!

This is the main reason i dont do as many as i'd like, but i just did one, bit of spur of the moment thing, it was local and only £100 for the day, so booked it a week before the day, cost £50 fuel, but i ruined a brand new tyre, so thats another £70, and i think i've cooked my brake fluid so had to buy some good stuff, and thought mayswell order braided lines at same time. So its not too bad.

I did about 3/4 track days in my old civic, and they always ended up being quite costly due to me leaving the day thinking this wasn't right, this was wrong, i need more of this, less of that etc, so ended up spending alot that way, and would be a while until next track day.

But i think the best way to do it is to book in advance by a few months, so that gives you time to get x amount of fuel money ready, and then maybe money to buy a new tyre/brakes etc if needed after the day. and if you dont need them, use that money to book the next track day lol.