THE BEST BRAKE DISCS/PADS YOU CAN BUY FOR YOUR TEG ARE (imo)

mikegsi

Staff member
Dc5Dub07 said:
mikegsi said:
even for road use and the odd trackday (which was how i used mine) they make a big difference, and the discs last ages! theres some doing the rounds that have seen over 10 trackdays and still got loads of life left! most discs would have melted by that stage!
Well sounds good if they last longer than the standard front discs... might help offset the initial outlay of €1000..
you'd be lucky to see more than 2 trackdays on standard discs before they warp (if your driving properly that is!!)

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
hmm.. well ive had standard discs for the past year.. which have 3 open trackdays under there belt... only recently upgraded the Pads in the last month or so to DS2500's, so far theres no sign of warping or cracking...

Then again the trackday sessions here rarely last more than 15mins.. and are of course non-competitive..

The uprated discs sound great but just wanted to add a bit of perspective here by saying that the Standard discs and Ferodo pads are great all-rounders for the price.

Paul G

Members
The uprated discs sound great but just wanted to add a bit of perspective here by saying that the Standard discs and Ferodo pads are great all-rounders for the price.[/quote]

Very true & no one is knocking that fact....It's all relative to the way you use the car/the way you wt the brakes to work, for how you drive the car.

Eg when i 1st had a UK DC2 (back in 1999 V reg - V*** GGV if anyone has it i would love to see it again, 1st new car i ever owned. Looking at a pic of it on the wall now.....Sorry got carried away :lol: ) For the 1st year i had it & did one or two t.days i thought the brakes were spot on & could'nt understand it when i heard some owners had upgraded there's :|

But then as i got into t.days more the 2nd year/cut slicks/coilovers....Later on the brakes, the problems started. From doing t.days no prob on OEM discs/pads, i would now get them cooked in 3 laps :shock: Got so that i had to use performance type pads & change discs every 2 t.days :( Same prob's with the DC5 & that's how the 2 piece discs came about...

Just watch it once the Track day bug get's you, you will find out wt i'm talking about :wink: :lol:

And i'm not saying there's not even better brakes out there, but at around 2-2.5K for good one's :shock: plus having to replace the OEM wheels, then if you need/wt a good upgrade it makes the 2 piece discs seem cheep :idea: :wink:

Thks

Paul.

Paul G

Members
One or two have asked now so here's the 09' price :shock:

2 Piece discs now £822.55 a pair (inc vat @ 15%).

pair of replacement discs £456.84 (inc vat @ 15%). Only had to supply one set of replacement discs so far.....

Both + carriage.

Paul.

Paul G

Members
lockwood77 said:
That's just discs, not a package inc. pads Paul?
Yep....The package of: Discs, pads, Ceratec & Carriage (uk mainland) now works out at....

£952.71 :(

Thks

Paul.

Paul G

Members
Hi

I have one S/H set of these 2 piece discs for sale in v.g.c from my own car...

£480 + postage (will put a new set of Mintex 1144 pads with them).

Thks
Paul.

alucardo

Advanced Member
Re:

j30l said:
Ive got Project Mu SCR Pro 2-piece front brake disks and Project Mu Type NR pads front and rear. Had them on for about a month now. Did 4 laps of the ring in the wet. Never faded and stopped me perfectly even with the abs fuse unplugged. Once ive done some more trackdays in the dry i will be able to give you all better feedback. So far so good though.

In the past week i have noticed that they've started squeaking when no temperature is in them. But tbh ive found this with other good pads i.e. "carbotec" (even though carbotec squeak the majority of the time)
I have those disks combined with mintex 1144's they have seen me through a number of trackdays and no real fade on falken 452's and re10r's. Good combination. Will be on semi slicks next year fingers crossed so Ill report my findings then.

jammy84

Advanced Member
1 what is ceratec?
2 is there no cheaper options for a good braking system than this ~£900 set up?

dave c

400hp K20
Just bought a set of these, and holy moly :shock: they are freakin brilliant lol.

I'll do a proper review on them in a separate thread but just thought i would post here that they are excellent.

Paul G

Members
Glad you like them Dave :D

I've had no bad reports as yet.... :)

Just to save on a few PM's :wink: - Sorry but i don't sell any cheaper brake set up's. Only
the UK AP Racing discs/bells & Mintex 1144 or Mintex F4R pads....

Down side is the cost aprox 1k all inc (that's inc pads & Carriage).

Plus side is they last & last & last, inc T.days & i use mine for racing as well...And people seem to love them :)
Also they sell very well S/Hand & for a good price!

Maybe there not so dear after all :xyes:

Thks
Paul.
PS - i have none left in stock now, and delivery takes aprox 6wks..(Pads about 2wks).

mikegsi

Staff member
dave c said:
Just bought a set of these, and holy moly :shock: they are freakin brilliant lol.

I'll do a proper review on them in a separate thread but just thought i would post here that they are excellent.

:xcheers: they are (imo) the best brake discs/pads you can buy for your teg!!

same as they were when i first started this thread all those years ago, still no negative comments on them (other than price!!! ;) )

Paul G

Members
Yep still the same top quality discs you 1st tryed Mike :) :) That reminds me it's been far to long since i've been up to Croft & You still have'nt been to Snett, as you said you would :wink:

Price - sad to say AP Racing are never going to move on that....They no there discs are some of the best in the world, i'm lucky they will even sell them to me/if you want the best you have to pay for it (So they told me ;) ).

A few have been sold on S/Hand now - Seems they last longer than the owners keep there cars for! :)
So looks like AP's claim to make some of the best discs in the world may just be true !!?

:xcheers: Mike
Paul.

mikegsi

Staff member
Crofts a pain in the Harris now with all the noise testing gear they have, resigned to the fact I'll never get my current car on there with it's 3.5" straight through exhaust!!

I'd love a day out at Snett still though, just not enough spare time recently! Really need to plan a proper trip down, poss the next H-O-T day there, what's the sound levels like down there? I'm running around 102-3db static!

Paul G

Members
haitch said:
The HOT day (Sat 6th March 2010) at Snet is 105db, seven places remaining 8)

Sounds good, maybe a toss up between this & the Nippon test day at Silv on the 4th :-k

How much is the HOT day? can you pay a deposit to save a place? is it open pit ?

Mike - Have you booked it yet! I will come over even if it's not in the DC5....

Dave - Nice pic's 8) Maybe this would be a good 1st T.Day ??? :wink:

Paul.