What tyres do you use?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
RE070 comparable to R888, are you sure? Imo they're world's away from each other. Cold bite might be close, but once they've got heat into them the track orientated tyre should leave the re070 for dead.

Crazylegs, why are you running 195's?
I'm going to be completely honest with you.....I've no idea lol.

I think I just bought the first ones I saw on Camskill ha ha! I recall from my CRX days the lads on the forum used to say don't run wider tyres than 195's, can't recall why but yeah, that's probably the reason why I went with the 195's. Won't be doing that again.

Think I've made my mind up now anyway and will go for the RE070's, they sound like a good tyre for the money.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Haha, fair play, honesty is the best policy. Don't do it again though, a dc5 weighs slightly more than a crx. Life is for learning. (and racecars) At least it's not because stretch stance y0.

I don't think you'll get a better all rounder than the re070, for price vs tyre performance.

dave7368

Advanced Member
dave c said:

The RE070's are the best all rounder imo tho, cheaper, last far far longer, less road noise and the grip isn't far off the 888
maybe some would think the RE070 is a decent all rounder, but i would say it's no where near the R888 in a grip off

jrscho

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Would love R888's but I'd worry about what they're like in the wet.
I'm the same...love to try them but as my cars driven no matter what weather it worries me!

And surely your car handling is abit off if your tyres are 195..

p1tse

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
I'm going to be completely honest with you.....I've no idea lol.

I think I just bought the first ones I saw on Camskill ha ha! I recall from my CRX days the lads on the forum used to say don't run wider tyres than 195's, can't recall why but yeah, that's probably the reason why I went with the 195's. Won't be doing that again.

Think I've made my mind up now anyway and will go for the RE070's, they sound like a good tyre for the money.
Was thinking the same
If going for re070 then 225 45 17 would be best option size I think

You changing all four?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Was thinking the same
If going for re070 then 225 45 17 would be best option size I think

You changing all four?
Yes hopefully, have got enough at the moment to replace two but I'd rather replace all 4.

The Goodyears I have on at the moment still have plenty of tread on them, the ones on the front that is but that rears are near the legal limit and I feel it's affecting the overall handling now.

I think some new rubber combined with the FRSU I had done a few months back should improve the handling enormously.

You going for the RE070's as well bud?

p1tse

Advanced Member
No I won't be going for re070
Think they will scrub on mine, although at times they look an ace tyre on the right car but some angles look too big and balloon.

My only thought for you is that if you had your frsu on 195 and then you go for a oem 215 45 17 or 225, this may still upset the geo setting as it would have been done on contact patch of your 195. What's your complete tyre profile?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
No I won't be going for re070
Think they will scrub on mine, although at times they look an ace tyre on the right car but some angles look too big and balloon.

My only thought for you is that if you had your frsu on 195 and then you go for a oem 215 45 17 or 225, this may still upset the geo setting as it would have been done on contact patch of your 195. What's your complete tyre profile?
Why will they scrub on yours if you don't mind me asking?

They do look a 'chunky' tyre to be fair, saw some on an Impreza a few months back and they look cracking but I do agree they can stick out a bit on some cars.

Regarding your bit about the FRSU. I'm not sure having a wider tyre will impact it but I could be wrong. I did ask Stevie re having tyres near the legal limit and whether this will affect the geometry when he sets it up but he explained the tyres won't impact the geo but I can't remember why exactly. I can't access my personal email in work so I will need to report back with it later on tonight as his explanation makes more sense. Some of the experts on here may be able to add to it.

Can anyone confirm if having a wider tyre will impact a car that has previously been set up with camber and geometry tweaks?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Surely any change will be good from legal limit anyway? the only change you will experience is grip! haha

Don't worry about it, get some on and start enjoying the old girl Marc. It's not going to effect it anywhere near as bad as having the bad geo etc, you are only changing a tyre. The amount of air pressure etc will play a part, but who checks that daily? its not that much of an issue.

I would confidently say that in doing so it would only be a positive effect on your current FRSU as you will now get the best out of it. :)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I hear the term frsu being thrown around a lot. What do you guys actually get dialed in when you get a British standard frsu?

dave7368

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Would love R888's but I'd worry about what they're like in the wet.
l think they are fine in the wet, but then l don't know anyone who drives like a complete bell end in the wet....

dave c

400hp K20
Kevin85 said:
RE070 comparable to R888, are you sure? Imo they're world's away from each other. Cold bite might be close, but once they've got heat into them the track orientated tyre should leave the re070 for dead.
Yes I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have said it otherwise ;)

Just as you stated later on in this thread, as an all rounder i think the RE070 is the outright winner.

Remember that these are road cars and thats what most people use them for so its not all about out and out grip every time.

R888's are an incredible tyre but they don't last well and have less tread to begin with, in a road car thats a big negative.

They are also very noisey and again on a road car that isn't a positive.

The price as well has to be a factor and at 100+% more expensive then this is a massive negative.

Infact the only area the 888's are better than the RE070 is outright grip

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Surely any change will be good from legal limit anyway? the only change you will experience is grip! haha

Don't worry about it, get some on and start enjoying the old girl Marc. It's not going to effect it anywhere near as bad as having the bad geo etc, you are only changing a tyre. The amount of air pressure etc will play a part, but who checks that daily? its not that much of an issue.

I would confidently say that in doing so it would only be a positive effect on your current FRSU as you will now get the best out of it. :)
Ha ha!

That's what I'm thinking, having some decent tyres will make a massive difference and with the being a tad wider it should help. Well that's what I'm thinking anyway lol

Wasn't too sure whether having them would affect the current setup. In response to Patch, this is what Stevie emailed me.

[SIZE=11pt]"The tyre what we set it to will still be the same if you get what I mean as the geometry is a fixed point and won‘t change when you change the tyres."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Does that make more sense? [/SIZE]

dave c

400hp K20
dave7368 said:
l think they are fine in the wet, but then l don't know anyone who drives like a complete bell end in the wet....
As Dave said above, the 888's have awesome wet weather grip

Kevin85

Advanced Member
The only problem any tyre will have in the wet is shifting standing water, otherwise it's the same as dry conditions. More rubber on the road will give you more grip.

miki1212

Advanced Member
some of the top end hankook and kumho tyres are really good but tend to get over looked because of brand snobbery, particularly the Hankook Ventus S1 EVO2 and Kumho V70A Ecsta l've used both on high powered cars apart from the teg and can't fault them, both of these companies supply tyres to race series all over the world so can't be that bad, just as long as you can get over yourself and accept the fact they don't say goodyear or bridgestone on the sides...

Kevin85

Advanced Member
dave c said:
Yes I'm 100% sure I wouldn't have said it otherwise ;)

Just as you stated later on in this thread, as an all rounder i think the RE070 is the outright winner.

Remember that these are road cars and thats what most people use them for so its not all about out and out grip every time.
I understand that we're talking about road cars, what pricked my ears up was that you said the re070's grip levels weren't far off the R888's or ad08r's. They're definitely not. Even the ad08r's aren't comparable to the R888's. The a048's are a better comparison to the R888's.

Given all of the requirements of a road tyre, the re070 are hard to beat, but only because of the price.

jrscho

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
"The tyre what we set it to will still be the same if you get what I mean as the geometry is a fixed point and won‘t change when you change the tyres."

Does that make more sense?
That's weird... I thought when you get new tyres you had to get a new Frsu? That's what I was told before...