Alignment

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I currently have Bilstein B14's setup by Area Motorsport. The car is a joy to drive on the road to be honest, it feels planted and predictable.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
So i went to a general tyre place today and they checked the alignment on a Hunter machine. It's out compared to what Area set it to, not sure why, currently 1.08 and 1.29 on the front. They said they cant do anything at the minute though because they think the suspension is wrong, the amount of thread they can see on the rear is different on each side or something.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
I would be taking the figures from the Hunter machine with a pinch of salt.

How bad is the car on a flat piece of road? Can you give us an example? Have you looked at the condition of things like the LCA bushes? Steering rack slider? Things like this could cause steering issues I would imagine.

Mine is probably near identical setup to yours and I have nothing but confidence on the road.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Indi

Advanced Member
As above I would be taking the hunter figures with pinch of salt. The equipment that area use, string ruler etc can't lie where as lasers can be out easily.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
As above

The guy who did mine has worked in F1,2,3 and 4 as a mechanic and driving instructor and swears only to use the string method as he has on all the race cars and as they still do in F1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Fair points. I'll get the wheels off the back when i get chance and see what they mean about the height, since Area lifted the rear that should be a good indication of where i place my faith.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Yep, string and weight method the proper way. Stevie at Grinspeed is exactly the same.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Fair points. I'll get the wheels off the back when i get chance and see what they mean about the height, since Area lifted the rear that should be a good indication of where i place my faith.
Tbh bud, it could just be sat too low. Lowering too much isn't always the best way forward. I'm no mechanic but I'm fairly certain it can actually make a car feel worse. It's hard to find the right balance when it comes to suspension. Can you not have another forum member who's local take it for a drive see what they can find?

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
So i went to a general tyre place today and they checked the alignment on a Hunter machine. It's out compared to what Area set it to, not sure why, currently 1.08 and 1.29 on the front. They said they cant do anything at the minute though because they think the suspension is wrong, the amount of thread they can see on the rear is different on each side or something.
Could make sense with what I've been saying about the preload!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Could make sense with what I've been saying about the preload!

That what I was thinking. I'll try and measure them and take some pics and get onto meister. No idea where.to go though if it's wrong.

Mebz

Advanced Member
Was going to suggest a look around mine but your on the other side of the country.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
Was going to suggest a look around mine but your on the other side of the country.
I'm in manchester for a few weekends apr/may time on a course. But I'm hoping I've narrowed this down before then!

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Going to try and get the tears checked tonight, weather permitting. Out if curiosity what is the standard ride height? And how.much preload should be on there?

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Im.sure it was 1knch preload on the meisters. Im sure if you message jerrick from meiater he can advise

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Well I'm non the wiser. There's about 2mm visible thread difference on the rear. And about 1mm difference in the spring length. Be impressed if he noticed that with mk1 eye ball.

Checked the front as well and the thread is 19mm both sides with about 1mm more spring length on one side.

Ride height is 335 from the centre of the wheel. Not sure how that compares to others, but there is a noticable angle in the track rod.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
That 1mm less spring will be the preload then!

Crackfox

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
That 1mm less spring will be the preload then!

Yeah not sure how much difference that makes though, or what the spring length should be as standard.