Alignment

ollieh17

Advanced Member
More difference than chasing alignment all over the shop mate! Even setting them both the same should improve things

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
More difference than chasing alignment all over the shop mate! Even setting them both the same should improve things

Just got to find someone to do it now. No way i'm attempting to undo those on a scissor jack.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Loosen thespring perches until the springs no longer under tension then compress by an inch. If i get a chance tomorrow ill measure my top mount to perch to help you see if your preload is set or not.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Just had a good chat with Wheels in motion. They said they'd have walked out if anyone tried to do their alignment with string nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Just had a good chat with Wheels in motion. They said they'd have walked out if anyone tried to do their alignment with string nowadays.

Each to their own but as Indi said before " I would be taking the hunter figures with pinch of salt. The equipment that area use, string ruler etc can't lie where as lasers can be out easily. "

If Area use this method as does my guy who has worked in Many Race Series and for F1,2,3 and 4 teams (which I am 90% certain none of the people at Wheels in motion have) say it's the best and most accurate way then I am all for it. A lot of race teams still use the Spring method I believe and my cars never driven straighter and as focussed as it does now

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:

that's how race teams do their allignment. String method never lies.

Teams like Area Motorsport know the EP/DC5 chassis better than most people in the country. Your run of the mill tracking place won't have a clue to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
that's how race teams do their allignment. String method never lies.

Teams like Area Motorsport know the EP/DC5 chassis better than most people in the country. Your run of the mill tracking place won't have a clue to be honest.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
100% agreed mate, my friend who did mine works for race teams as I have said so if it's good enough for teams running multi million pound cars it's good enough my little Honda lol..

ollieh17

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
100% agreed mate, my friend who did mine works for race teams as I have said so if it's good enough for teams running multi million pound cars it's good enough my little Honda lol..
Tbf though, he probably can't afford/carry around hunter equipment. Both have limitations.

Never used area so can't judge, but they obviously missed something which someone else picked up on

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Tbf though, he probably can't afford/carry around hunter equipment. Both have limitations.

Never used area so can't judge, but they obviously missed something which someone else picked up on

He can afford it easily trust me the guys minted, he just chooses to use the best method which is this as all the race teams he works and has worked for in the past use it still.
His van is massive and is fully equipped with everything needed to do the job properly including carrying around sandbags, corner weight equipment etc etc etc

The best companies use this method inc Area (who unfortunately are not near me to use either) but there is a reason for them doing so

ollieh17

Advanced Member
I'm not knocking string alignment as well aware its a perfectly good method. However it is time consuming and because of that something was clearly missed on the OPS car. Something that is far more likely to be causing issues than alignment.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Get your shocks checked for pre load then check bushes. You could be running 20 year old bushes which are not going to help one bit

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Each to their own but as Indi said before " I would be taking the hunter figures with pinch of salt. The equipment that area use, string ruler etc can't lie where as lasers can be out easily. "

If Area use this method as does my guy who has worked in Many Race Series and for F1,2,3 and 4 teams (which I am 90% certain none of the people at Wheels in motion have) say it's the best and most accurate way then I am all for it. A lot of race teams still use the Spring method I believe and my cars never driven straighter and as focussed as it does now
I'm not knocking it, I'm sure they both have their place. Just pointing out that everyone seems to have a different stance on this. The WiM guys are probably the most highly recommended through all the info I've read over the last few weeks, and its alot.

It reminds me a little of the digital camera debate when they first came out and no pros would use them because they were so stuck in there ways.

The issue is I've paid Area 160£ and it's still not right, and the first guy I saw, also with race heritage, at A1 tuning, and I'm still no better off. Short of going round the country giving my money away till I get somewhere I'm just going round in expensive circles.

All the bushes and rod ends seem fine, so short of changing them for the sake if it I'm not convinced it will make a difference.

I think I'm a sensible offer away from another car at the minute.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I take it you didnt have the coilovers fitted and they were on the car already?
If they are pre loaded wrong im guessing you could get a wobbly drive as one side of the car will push back harder then the other giving an unbalances feel as the car triea to settle after each bump/contour of the road.
A shite alignment can also do terrible things to the driving feel.
Shite tyres could also cause it, i once had some real budget tyres on an old car for a while whilst my main wheels were bekng refurbed, upto 70mph they were fine but above i literally felt like i was driving on a stormy ocean.
Again i mention bushes as my dc5 was crap on the track first time out, found every bush was shot. I had no consistant feel in corners and spun out on a cool down lap as the back just gave way on me.
Get all three of these sorted on a dc5 and you should have a car that eats corners for breakfast

carl hammond

Advanced Member
It all goes back to a number of our posts I think where you're better off seeing if someone local can swap wheels for a test (eliminate that), the bushes you say were checked but maybe they are worn and no yet fully gone so look ok (only way to know is further investigation). Alignment no matter what method is used it can't me miles out imo as if it was you'd know and it'd be apparent at all kinds of speeds etc.

It could be as said above the settings on the coilovers, even a fooked coilover. I have said before it could be a mix of things or even down to the setup not being for you and your driving style and the roads etc etc around, so many variables and I personally wouldn't throw money at it without working through the process of elimination on free things first like wheels swaps even if for a couple of journeys and so on.

It's a tough one tbh but one thing, how long have you had the car and was it like it when you test drove it if recently purchased?

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
It all goes back to a number of our posts I think where you're better off seeing if someone local can swap wheels for a test (eliminate that), the bushes you say were checked but maybe they are worn and no yet fully gone so look ok (only way to know is further investigation). Alignment no matter what method is used it can't me miles out imo as if it was you'd know and it'd be apparent at all kinds of speeds etc.

It could be as said above the settings on the coilovers, even a fornicateed coilover. I have said before it could be a mix of things or even down to the setup not being for you and your driving style and the roads etc etc around, so many variables and I personally wouldn't throw money at it without working through the process of elimination on free things first like wheels swaps even if for a couple of journeys and so on.

It's a tough one tbh but one thing, how long have you had the car and was it like it when you test drove it if recently purchased?
Car hasnt been crash damaged before has it??

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I would love the opportunity to drive this car to see what it's doing and get a feel for it....

Crackfox

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
I would love the opportunity to drive this car to see what it's doing and get a feel for it....
Annoyingly I'm down south quite a bit but unless you want to test my works eco corsa it's no good.

It has been like it since day one, but a quick test drive is never the best, especially coming from a 2.2 D. I have been on constant comms with Josh at torque gt so they know where I'm at with things incase I find something amiss. He even sorted me.out a deal for the rest cambers as it was so far out initially.

The meisters were on there from the get go, certainly not my choice. As much as I'd love to change them Mrs Fox would have my ass handed to me. I'm still not convinced the tyres are great, but Josh seems to think they should be fine, again though based on opinion. I'm sure someone could drive this around some nice surfaces city roads day in day out and not think twice, but Lincolnshire b roads are a pig. So eleven and patched up that the car just goes where it wants.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Annoyingly I'm down south quite a bit but unless you want to test my works eco corsa it's no good.

It has been like it since day one, but a quick test drive is never the best, especially coming from a 2.2 D. I have been on constant comms with Josh at torque gt so they know where I'm at with things incase I find something amiss. He even sorted me.out a deal for the rest cambers as it was so far out initially.

The meisters were on there from the get go, certainly not my choice. As much as I'd love to change them Mrs Fox would have my ass handed to me. I'm still not convinced the tyres are great, but Josh seems to think they should be fine, again though based on opinion. I'm sure someone could drive this around some nice surfaces city roads day in day out and not think twice, but Lincolnshire b roads are a pig. So eleven and patched up that the car just goes where it wants.

I'll swap you a set of standard springs and eibach for the miesters