Alignment

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
My understanding was the Meister where for both DC5 and EP3 so though they might already be on.
Maybe so, you'd have to confirm with others on that. If so, they'd just bolt on.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Torque GT

Parts Trader
Crackfox said:
My understanding was the Meister where for both DC5 and EP3 so though they might already be on.
They're the same coilovers, the DC5 sets are just shipped with a set of EP3 track rod ends, so you could just bolt Sam's Bilstein's straight on.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
Torque GT said:
They're the same coilovers, the DC5 sets are just shipped with a set of EP3 track rod ends, so you could just bolt Sam's Bilstein's straight on.
Ok thanks. Are they going to be much better on the road?

Sam where you based?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Ok thanks. Are they going to be much better on the road?

Sam where you based?

I'm based in Derby, Midlands. Around 25 minutes away from Area Motorsport. I'm having the coilovers changed on Monday, I'm happy to meet you at some point this weekend and take you out in it if you want.

The Bilsteins are a lot softer than your coilover set up, spring rates are 6F and 12R so keeps the correct formula for the motion ratio. Very good coilovers for the road, I love mine even on bumpy B roads.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
I'm based in Derby, Midlands. Around 25 minutes away from Area Motorsport. I'm having the coilovers changed on Monday, I'm happy to meet you at some point this weekend and take you out in it if you want.

The Bilsteins are a lot softer than your coilover set up, spring rates are 6F and 12R so keeps the correct formula for the motion ratio. Very good coilovers for the road, I love mine even on bumpy B roads.

I'll speak nicely to the boss!

carl hammond

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:

Not sure if your spring rates on b14 differ to b16 but mine are higher as below (info provided direct from bilstein two days ago)

Front 105n/mm = 1.60 hz = 10.70 Kgf/mm
Rear 125n/mm = 1.90 hz = 12.75 Kgf/mm

Either way I would recommend he b14‘s to the op, what meisters are on your car op?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Not sure if your spring rates on b14 differ to b16 but mine are higher as below (info provided direct from bilstein two days ago)

Front 105n/mm = 1.60 hz = 10.70 Kgf/mm
Rear 125n/mm = 1.90 hz = 12.75 Kgf/mm

Either way I would recommend he b14‘s to the op, what meisters are on your car op?
I believe the rates are softer due to the B14's being targeted for more road action.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Miesters are 8 12 no? Barely a difference. Is there not somewhere that can get your car on a ramp and have a good look around? I think if you are doubting the coilovers you should just try a stock set up with lowering springs. Mine rides better than a s line Audi and handles track no probs. Plus can pick a set up cheap

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
I believe the rates are softer due to the B14's being targeted for more road action.

Oh got ya, was going to say I‘ve yet to try mine of hard but it‘s stiff as hell lol...

carl hammond

Advanced Member
ollieh17 said:
Miesters are 8 12 no? Barely a difference. Is there not somewhere that can get your car on a ramp and have a good look around? I think if you are doubting the coilovers you should just try a stock set up with lowering springs. Mine rides better than a s line Audi and handles track no probs. Plus can pick a set up cheap

Was going to say similar, oem shocks and spoon or eibach springs or ideally the best setup avail before going to bilsteins is mugen shocks and spoon springs (just sold this setup last week) and miss it loads tbh as it‘s a great setup and feels amazing

SamDC5

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
Oh got ya, was going to say I‘ve yet to try mine of hard but it‘s stiff as hell lol...
Mine are really nice and complient on the road, they are night and day over OEM suspension. Then again, the OEM setup is well over 15 years old.

All my friends run Yellow Speed coilovers with track orientated geometry setups and they all say that their cars are ruined on the road. I do kind of wish I had just gone for B16's before I bought my B14's due to me getting into track days.

Overall, I'd highly reccomend the B14 setup. It's a definately a 'premium' setup over just springs. But entirely up to you how much money you want to spend. Maybe it is worth just getting the car examined, make sure none of the steering components are damaged or the bushes have deteriorated before you make a decision. Last thing you want to do is spend a lot of money and the issue still be there. Once the car is sorted, you'll definately love it. Nothing beats blasting down a few country B roads.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Mine are really nice and complient on the road, they are night and day over OEM suspension. Then again, the OEM setup is well over 15 years old.

All my friends run Yellow Speed coilovers with track orientated geometry setups and they all say that their cars are ruined on the road. I do kind of wish I had just gone for B16's before I bought my B14's due to me getting into track days.

Overall, I'd highly reccomend the B14 setup. It's a definately a 'premium' setup over just springs. But entirely up to you how much money you want to spend. Maybe it is worth just getting the car examined, make sure none of the steering components are damaged or the bushes have deteriorated before you make a decision. Last thing you want to do is spend a lot of money and the issue still be there. Once the car is sorted, you'll definately love it. Nothing beats blasting down a few country B roads.

Spoken to the mrs and shes cool with me taking a trip. Your about 1.5 hrs from me, when you thinking? You can try mine out as well and see what you think. Even if it just turns out I can't drive! Pretty sure it isn't that though since its straights that are the problem.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
Spoken to the mrs and shes cool with me taking a trip. Your about 1.5 hrs from me, when you thinking? You can try mine out as well and see what you think. Even if it just turns out I can't drive! Pretty sure it isn't that though since its straights that are the problem.

Where abouts are you from? I'm free early tomorrow morning or Sunday late afternoon.

The thing is, even with a marginal amount of negative camber you will lose straight line stability. If I sit at 80 and I'm on the bumpy bit of the A50 mine does feel like it wants to wander.

ollieh17

Advanced Member
Caster will have much of an effect than negative camber

Crackfox

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Where abouts are you from? I'm free early tomorrow morning or Sunday late afternoon.

The thing is, even with a marginal amount of negative camber you will lose straight line stability. If I sit at 80 and I'm on the bumpy bit of the A50 mine does feel like it wants to wander.

The boss is running on the morning so wouldn't be able to leave till dinner. Maybe Sunday? I'm grimsby.

And that's the thing. If it's just anything that happens then I have to decide whether to live with it, but right now I don't know, and at least a test run will prove it one way or another.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Crackfox said:
The boss is running on the morning so wouldn't be able to leave till dinner. Maybe Sunday? I'm grimsby.

And that's the thing. If it's just anything that happens then I have to decide whether to live with it, but right now I don't know, and at least a test run will prove it one way or another.

I should be available late afternoon on Sunday. Depends what time I get back from Manchester that's all. To be honest if it's just on the straights it just sounds normal to me. Camber will always make it worse in a straight line and the car likes to start following the road. Especially on crap roads.

Crackfox

Advanced Member
I'd still be interested to have a drive of yours if we can sort it. Easy way for some peace of mind at least.

CW05TEG

Advanced Member
I reckon this is just the nature of the car tbh, unless it's completely wayward. These cars seem to suffer from bumpsteer even with a standard setup. Worn tyres definitely make it a whole lot worse.

Mine has oem shocks with spoon springs, adjustable camber bolts on the front (set to max -neg setting) but oem rear camber arms. It desperately needs alignment doing but I'm going to get some hardrace rcas fitted beforehand.

On bumpy or uneven surfaces the car has a tendency to pull you around even in a straight line to the point where at times you feel its fighting to go where it wants. I think the combination of the lsd and heavier feel from the hydraulic ps makes it harder work to drive than a stock ep3. The harsh suspension and a very responsive throttle add to the feeling that you aren't in complete control sometimes, but I expect this is is more because even resurfaced roads in the UK are not that level. Get it on track and the bumpsteer issue seems to disappear.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
CW05TEG said:
I reckon this is just the nature of the car tbh, unless it's completely wayward. These cars seem to suffer from bumpsteer even with a standard setup. Worn tyres definitely make it a whole lot worse.

Mine has oem shocks with spoon springs, adjustable camber bolts on the front (set to max -neg setting) but oem rear camber arms. It desperately needs alignment doing but I'm going to get some hardrace rcas fitted beforehand.

On bumpy or uneven surfaces the car has a tendency to pull you around even in a straight line to the point where at times you feel its fighting to go where it wants. I think the combination of the lsd and heavier feel from the hydraulic ps makes it harder work to drive than a stock ep3. The harsh suspension and a very responsive throttle add to the feeling that you aren't in complete control sometimes, but I expect this is is more because even resurfaced roads in the UK are not that level. Get it on track and the bumpsteer issue seems to disappear.
Summed up perfectly.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Most of this threads gone back to a lot of the original posts and advice we have lol 🤦‍♂️🤔

(Gave not have lol), typo... 🤦‍♂️