EP3 Fog Light Switch Install (Via Power Mirrors)

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
i hope porthos doesn't mind me kinda hi-jacking the thread but as my switch arrived today i thought i'd get it soldered up and the plug added like i wanted it

the idea was to replace the existing plug with my own but i didnt want it loose so i flattened the pins, soldered them up, connected the wires to the clips and plug and then glued the plug on.

firstly i cut the existing plastic clip off. i just used a serrated knife, the plastics thin and only took a sec

then cut a bit off the ends of the pins, soldered on the wiring then flattened them down

just to test using my trusty 9v battery (its a good tip when working on car electronics at home, normally a 9v battery is normally enough to do some testing with)

next i crimped the connectors on, and clipped them into the plug

then, i used the glue gun and filled the recesses between the pins to create a sealed unit, pushed the plug down and glued around it to hold it in place.

and finally heres a pic of the other end of the plug connected with the connectors i'll be attaching to the car when i get a chance.

its a good solid fit, i can shake it around by the plug and it doesnt move at all :)

think i'll put some leccie tape round it just to neaten it up a bit but yeh.. pretty happy with that

was a bit fiddly soldering the wiring and if i were to do it again id cut the connector wiring a bit shorter to get the plug tighter to the main connector

just got to clip the wires in the car to the other end of the plug and jobs a goodun

dotty

Advanced Member
i hope porthos doesn't mind me kinda hi-jacking the thread but as my switch arrived today i thought i'd get it soldered up and the plug added like i wanted it

the idea was to replace the existing plug with my own but i didnt want it loose so i flattened the pins, soldered them up, connected the wires to the clips and plug and then glued the plug on.

firstly i cut the existing plastic clip off. i just used a serrated knife, the plastics thin and only took a sec

then cut a bit off the ends of the pins, soldered on the wiring then flattened them down

just to test using my trusty 9v battery (its a good tip when working on car electronics at home, normally a 9v battery is normally enough to do some testing with)

next i crimped the connectors on, and clipped them into the plug

then, i used the glue gun and filled the recesses between the pins to create a sealed unit, pushed the plug down and glued around it to hold it in place.

and finally heres a pic of the other end of the plug connected with the connectors i'll be attaching to the car when i get a chance.

its a good solid fit, i can shake it around by the plug and it doesnt move at all :)

think i'll put some leccie tape round it just to neaten it up a bit but yeh.. pretty happy with that

was a bit fiddly soldering the wiring and if i were to do it again id cut the connector wiring a bit shorter to get the plug tighter to the main connector

just got to clip the wires in the car to the other end of the plug and jobs a goodun
Looks a good job. :)

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
i'll get it in the car in the next couple of days (that'll be the easy part) then i'll be ready to do yours mate if you still want me to.

i do need to pop my car down to TGM at some point so could probably sort it out there (either meet up or use tom as a middleman). once i've done the soldering etc.. we'll need to meet up again so i can do the final cut, strip (the wires on the car.. not me!) and crimp.

will try to call him today actually and get it booked in. need a couple of random bits and a frsu done

might even get this finished tonight if im not playing squash

dotty

Advanced Member
My car is actually down there until the 25th (I am in the states until then)

I was going to ask if you could order me the switch if I PayPal'd or transferred the cost over (pretty please)!I don't really want to call from my phone but want a switch while they're in stock :)

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
err yeh can do, i'll give him a bell in a sec. hope he's still got one :)

edit:
called, david's off today but spoke to a guy called keith. all the ones they had have gone straight out but he reckons there's stock in belgium so he's put an order in. IF it goes on backorder he'll let me know tomorrow, if not he'll call me friday to arrange payment and delivery.

these things are like rocking horse shite arent they

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
went to fit this tonight and had a nightmare :(

doing the wiring and getting the plug installed was easy but whomever installed the alarm in this car was a complete moron. the control box is right behind this panel so i cant put the switch on the right side so i thought no problem, i'll swap it with the alarm led blank on the left side.. long story short i find the alarm ecu just hanging behind the dash, the led wiring cable tied in multiple places and taped into the alarm loom itself which means im either going to have to cut it out and re-join it or undo all the alarm loom, get it out and wrap it up again.. sigh

sorry for the off-topic rant.. do hate it when people bugger about with wiring

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Oh nasty, normally you will find the main electrical problems people have with the DC5 is down to dodgy alarm wiring.
Hope you get it sorted easy enough :) My alarm was cutting my car out recently (up the M5!), turned out it was a corroded bonnet sensor kicking the immobiliser in.

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
switch ordered dotty :) should get it latest monday.

just to check then, do you want me to give it the same treatment as the one above with the plug or just solder some wire and bullet connects on (if i have them spare)?

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
righto, i'll do another plugged version as i've got lots of spares for that :)

err can't remember offhand; max. £13 but i'll check when i get home

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
right got it installed finally :)

sorted out my alarm wiring, re-mounted the alarm ecu and did some tidying up.

took the panel off (notice the sea of wiring in the depths - thats the alarm)

the old fog light was connected up using spade connectors with 2 earth wires, a live in and fog live out. i joined up the 2 earths and crimped them into the same connector, crimped up the others (put a bit of blue tape on the fog out one so i knew what red wire it was) and installed the plug.

i then had all the ballache of sorting out my alarm wiring.

but.. here's the finished article. decided to have it in the middle and just moved the coin holder over. did make my alarm re-wiring a little wasted effort but i've got a secured alarm ecu and neater wiring now so im happy :)

from

to

AlanS

Advanced Member
I've just got hold of an OEM fog switch plug off an EP3 from a local breakers.

Well we're all doing it wrong!!

As you can see from the photos the Honda way of wiring should have been from top to bottom

Pin 1 : Ground
Pin 2 : Ground for Illumination
Pin 3 : Live In for Illumination
Pin 4 : Live out to fog
Pin 5 : Live In

Where as before we mixed up pin 2&3 for the LED that lights up the fog symbol. But i guess it doesnt matter as it still works and Positive & negative does not matter on LEDs

With this plug its just a case of connecting the 3 wires to your existing fog wiring and job done , no cutting or soldering etc needed.

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
aye, getting hold of the original plug would be the easiest option, but you loose diy-man points ;)

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
cool beans, bad timing for me though :(

my car is at tgm at the moment but i'm racing this weekend and working all week so it won't be until next weekend when i'm free again

that said i could 'possibly' do it saturday late morning as long as i get most of my gear packed up friday night as i won't be leaving until the afternoon.

the switch should only take a minute to do but its getting to tgm and back that's the issue.. unless you wanna pop down here :) (sunningdale)

dotty

Advanced Member
Ok mate. Let me know when you're picking up the car and ill pop down.