Wheels what fits and how they look

tysonzane

I can confirm that 17x8 +35 with R888 205/40/17 will JUST fit on a stock DC5 (no gaurd modifcations). I think if I ran 215 there would be a problem. I however dont reccomend running +35 offset if you can avoid it. The scrub radius is considerable effected and the car was slightly twitchier in the front end and had more bump steer.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
Why you running wider on the front? :S
more grip, its a setup i wanted to try. i should have stuck to my guns and got 8.5 all round

its also the same as an s2000 running wider on the drive wheels

just need a baffled sump and a few more bits then start dialing everything in

SimonJames

Advanced Member
they'd go on but i wouldnt like to go around a corner at speed you'll feel the side wall fold, i used to have 205/35 on my 8x18 wheels on a peugeot 306 ok in a straight line but slow right down for a bend

Topter

mike.williams said:
more grip, its a setup i wanted to try. i should have stuck to my guns and got 8.5 all round

its also the same as an s2000 running wider on the drive wheels

just need a baffled sump and a few more bits then start dialing everything in
The logic to this seems sound, why is it not the norm? Anyone got any downsides to having this setup?

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Topter said:
The logic to this seems sound, why is it not the norm? Anyone got any downsides to having this setup?
It's the norm in Japan.
One downside is you can't swap (well you can but its not logical) the front wheels with the back. That's the reason why I've got a wider track at the front (via spacers) but the same specced wheels all round. It's a compromise, but then I can swap all four wheels around.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Enkei NT03+m, 7.5J ET40.

DC5 x NT03+m's. by Dan__34, on Flickr

NT03+m. by Dan__34, on Flickr

Rays 57F, 7.5J ET48.

DC5. by Dan__34, on Flickr

DC5. by Dan__34, on Flickr

Both of them have 215/45 R17 (all XL apart from the rears of the Rays) tyres fitted and lowered on MiesterR coilovers. Can't comment on how many mm's I've dropped it by because I'm not sure! lol.

Dan34

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
dan, whats the weight comparison between the two wheels, im just curious
The Rays are ridiculously light without tyres on! Infact I might go weight one now haha.

The Enkie's are heavier but not by a huge amount.

Edit: One of the Rays without a tyre weighs just over 6kg.

Dan34

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
6kg that could be lighter than my re30's

are your rear arches rolled?
No not rolled at the moment, it is something I'm going to look into though. Not that the NT03's have caught, I thought they would have but must be the hard spring rate I have helping.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
thats good to know, my rears are et50 but im wanting at least a 10mm spacer and less negative camber. dont really want the arches rolled though as its just asking for rust

Dan34

Advanced Member
mike.williams said:
thats good to know, my rears are et50 but im wanting at least a 10mm spacer and less negative camber. dont really want the arches rolled though as its just asking for rust
Yeah I raised mine a tad so I could bring the camber back out to normal spec. Yeah to be honest I may get the arch lip cut back 6-8mm and resealed. Would probably work better than getting it rolled.

donkeykong

Advanced Member
rays are very light wheels yeah, discovered that when removed the tires. i was wondering if you guys know how a ad08 225 would fit a 8,5j rim. I asked mike already.

Dan34

Advanced Member
donkeykong said:
rays are very light wheels yeah, discovered that when removed the tires. i was wondering if you guys know how a ad08 225 would fit a 8,5j rim. I asked mike already.
225 on a 8.5 may give the slightest of stretch which isn't really what you want. I think mike is running a 245 on a 8.5j?