Search results

1. lockwood77

Mintex 1144s in correct 14mm thickness - anywhere!?

I loved the 1144s in my old DC5, awesome pads. Always bought them from Paul G, who of course doesn't do them any more. I've tried Eight Speed, but they told me they would have to grind down the ones they have to the correct thickness and then never replied to my "how much?" email. I'm now stuck...
  2. lockwood77

Last minute trackday place, Oulton Tues 12th June, £75

I have been let down very badly by a place rebuilding my RX-7 gearbox, who were given ample time to sort it out (considering that they had done it once and it wasn't right) and failed by only refitting it today and discovering the clutch wouldn't engage far enough at 5pm. :( I am booked on to...
  3. lockwood77

Fitting the front grille Honda badge - how!?

Got a new nose for my car yesterday, as the old red H badge had three stonechips in it. However, I can't see how it's supposed to fit, as the "pins" on the back of the badge are longer than the holes in the mount in the middle of the grille. Do I have to trim these? What will keep it in place...
  4. lockwood77

Does anyone have insurance that includes trackdays!?

Looking through the threads on here when people ask about track insurance (I use Pace Ward or REIS at the moment), people often say "it may be included in your policy", but I've yet to see anyone actually have such a policy for a DC5! I've got one for my RX-7, but it's a future classic policy...
  5. lockwood77

Buddy Club Short Shifter FAIL

Well, finally got round to looking at the gear shift today, as it had become nigh-on impossible to select reverse in my car - not without being Geoff Capes and pulling the whole centre console into the driver's seat anyway! :shock: Seems my Buddy Club short shifter has been wearing on the left...
  6. lockwood77

What backboxes mate up to a Toda mid-pipe?

Seems the baffles in my Toda backbox are on the way out and to avoid trackday noise limit trouble, I'm considering replacing it. However, the mid-pipe is fine, having had a new silencer welded on last year (which also has the benefit of killing a bit more noise), so I only really want a backbox...
  7. lockwood77

Brake disc vibration after skimming (Paul G discs) - why!?

Bought some second-hand Paul G discs the other week, fitted them last weekend and found that they had a much bigger lip than my old ones (also Paul G's), and as a result the pads were not totally meeting the face of the disc - you could see a shiny ring on the outside, a matt ring in the middle...
  8. lockwood77

Anybody know Westpark Motors, Smethwick? Why so cheap?

Have a look at this and tell me if you think these cars are cheap: http://www.westparkcars.co.uk/185361/stocklist.htm You will also notice one of the most hideous DC5s I've seen for a while (check the back end photo...) Am I right in saying that under £8k for a 33k Evo 8 MR FQ-300 is pretty...
  9. lockwood77

Camber adjustment done, not right, need opinions

I had my alignment/geo done at Nottingham Four Wheel Alignment Centre a couple of months ago when they changed my track rod ends, as obviously that threw my settings out. I was happy with the settings, based on the usual fast road settings (1.5 degrees of camber front, 1 degree rear, neutral toe...
  10. lockwood77

Track tyre opinions: 888/A048/V70A?

I've run 888s on my last three trackdays, which has resulted in the fronts wearing down the tread indicators on the inside. They grip great (although I suspect they go off a bit as they get too hot), but the main issue is the wear rate - three trackdays for £250+ of tyre isn't great value! So...
  11. lockwood77

Post-trackday brake photos - what's the damage?

Just thought I'd take some pics of the brakes as I changed the pads back to 1144s today, I noticed a couple of things: Piston dust cover melt! You can just make out the way that the rubber has gone into a "wavy" shape and when you prod it, some bits are quite hard. Should I be worried? Brake...
  12. lockwood77

Mintex F4R pads - rather good

Promised Paul G I'd post about these - I found the Mintex 1144 pads a little prone to fade on track (although way better than OEM!), so I asked Paul what else I could use with his discs (I'm also running the two-piece AP discs Paul sells) and he sold me some Mintex F4Rs. They're a bit too hard...
  13. lockwood77

Scraping sound when braking at low speed

Can't figure this one out - all pads are wearing equally and not quickly, but I have a nasty "scrape scrape scrape" sound (i.e. not constant, but a 1-2-3-etc. sound that slows down as the car comes to a halt). Sounds like it's coming from the rear and is as loud in the car as outside (if not...
  14. lockwood77

Who's been to Bedford with a Toda and Gruppe M?

Some debate about whether this will pass the drive-by noise test (I already know it's less than the 101db static test) and apparently they're very strict with a zero tolerance policy on drive-by failures. So, anyone with a Gruppe M and full Toda manifold/exhaust been to Bedford and passed the...
  15. lockwood77

Toyo R888 tyre pressures?

I've read a couple of comments about R888 tyres needing to run at a slightly higher pressure than normal, but nobody has actually said what. Can someone enlighten me as to what the correct pressures are (standard 17" wheels)?
  16. lockwood77

Clunking on left-turn but not full lock - ideas?

Still haven't diagnosed the clunking I get when I turn the steering wheel a fair way left. Symptoms are as follows: [*:2zzazbh2]Clunking that sounds a bit like the sound of brake pads moving in the calipers when you set off, except it only happens when turning the wheel left close (but not...
  17. lockwood77

Kpro Tuner Required - experiences/suggestions

This may seem like a stupid question from a long-time forum user who has seen plenty of tuning threads, but seriously, finding a tuner you can trust is not easy! My KPro needs remapping (partly due to fitting an RBC & J's throttle body, partly because the existing map has poor part-throttle...
  18. lockwood77

Escrow services - protection for buying remotely

I thought this might be of interest to some people buying stuff to be delivered (rather than by collection), as I'm doing at the moment. Last night I had a look into escrow services and found these two: https://www.pppay.com/index.php - 99p additional cost http://auctionchex.com/escrow-s.html -...
  19. lockwood77

Rear caliper piston diameter?

Does anyone know the piston diameter of the rear calipers? I sent the casting number to Bigg Red and they don't have an exact match, just something close, so they need the diameter. If anyone knows, or has a rear caliper off the car that they can measure, it would be most appreciated! :D If...
  20. lockwood77

Tow hooks - anyone got them? Pics fitted?

Just thinking ahead to track season - I had a proper aftermarket tow hook on the RX-7, as some circuits/organisers required one, but there isn't an obvious external tow hook on the DC5 and I don't have one to screw in anywhere. Does anybody have experience of this and if you bought an...