THE BEST BRAKE DISCS/PADS YOU CAN BUY FOR YOUR TEG ARE (imo)

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Tom fitted mine and they aren't that bad. They squeal a little but nothing that attracts attention.

bling

Advanced Member
spo_gen said:
Jeez, I was merely pointing out the little confusion. :roll: Just can't help folks nowadays. :lol:
Ain't no jeez business! stop being a forum correction agent!

Stevieg

Advanced Member
MilanoChris said:
Tom fitted mine and they aren't that bad. They squeal a little but nothing that attracts attention.
Performance Autoworks fitted mine. Though to be honest as times gone by they have gotten worse! Hopefully Tom will work his magic on them and they will go quiet again!

Shins

Hi guy's, I own the Focus RS in the pic put up by Bling!

It's copper grease by the way, just to save confusion :lol: and currently running 310bhp & 310lb/ft. I've not long had the AP 2 piece made up by AP and like yourselves agree that they are an awesome upgrade, especially on the weight saving department alone and they will be getting a right good thrashing round Donnington at the end of this month, to see how good they are, although I've chosen to run Ferodo DS2500 pads as AP suggest, my scource also said that the Mintex 1144's are too abrasive! :wink:

A mate recently contacted me about asking AP if they did this for the DC5, to which my contact at AP said no they don't???? :? They said that a disc would have to be sent to them but that I could get an initial price if I threw him the answers to the standard disc measurements etc I posted up in my thread!

Paul G's discs do look like AP's but if this is the case how come you can't get them from AP or is it just the disc and not the full lot?

spo_gen

Advanced Member
bling said:
spo_gen said:
Jeez, I was merely pointing out the little confusion. :roll: Just can't help folks nowadays. :lol:
Ain't no jeez business! stop being a forum correction agent!
Hear all, hear all........ any info that bing needs, give wrong details(like he listens to them anyway). If correcting a mistake is not allowed, then so be it. Stop being a women and have a beer on me. :lol: :xcheers: :lol:

Really tempted now as my disc's need changing soon. So many positive comments.

Paul G

Members
Shins said:
Hi guy's, I own the Focus RS in the pic put up by Bling!

It's copper grease by the way, just to save confusion :lol: and currently running 310bhp & 310lb/ft. I've not long had the AP 2 piece made up by AP and like yourselves agree that they are an awesome upgrade, especially on the weight saving department alone and they will be getting a right good thrashing round Donnington at the end of this month, to see how good they are, although I've chosen to run Ferodo DS2500 pads as AP suggest, my scource also said that the Mintex 1144's are too abrasive! :wink:

A mate recently contacted me about asking AP if they did this for the DC5, to which my contact at AP said no they don't???? :? They said that a disc would have to be sent to them but that I could get an initial price if I threw him the answers to the standard disc measurements etc I posted up in my thread!

Paul G's discs do look like AP's but if this is the case how come you can't get them from AP or is it just the disc and not the full lot?
Hi

As i said the other day. I can confirm that the discs are made for me by AP Racing, i put the work in to get a disc made up to fit the aluminium bells i also sell (i have my own part no with AP so they won't be on there stock list :wink: ).

So in short i've now put alot of work into bringing my brake set up to the market, inc: Testing, setting up of product liability insurance, etc....

By all means send me a PM if you like, but i'll not give to much away as i'm sure you will understand :| .

Plus now there are alot of happy customers to back up what i've done - 'i hope' :wink:

Paul.
PS will get back re the pads...

Shins

Nice one Paul, that sorts that then, top job doing all the work, I did the same with the FRS lads and it has worked out to be one of the best mods! :wink:

Ours at the time were £532 in a Group Buy of 10+ but AP prices have since gone up as I'm sure your aware, so they are now £570 but money well spent! Ours are on a 328mm disc!

Paul G

Members
No Prob...

At least it shows that to buy a GOOD set of discs, thats the sort of money yr talking about (i'm not ripping people off :wink: :lol: ).....

I did try once before to see if i could get a group buy discount to work, but it just did'nt seem worth it eg; say we could get 10 people together (highly unlikely in one go) & i could work things with an extra 5% discount, i would then have to ask for a 50% deposit, because it would be a large batch for me to stand the cost of & there could be up to a 6 wk wait from the time the last deposit came in to delivery.......Just did'nt seem like it would work to me.

So wt i try & do is to keep some in stock, at the right price - so that i can sell them one set at a time as people need them.

Pads - I have some tubes of Ceratec on order & will be putting a tube in FOC with any future orders :wink: More>>>

Paul.

Paul G

Members
Pads >>> I did try other pads with the discs, but found the 1144's the best fast road/light track pad (good brake feel & stoping power ) + they give much more confidence..

As people who have tryed them have said:

Qoute - Amazing/Awesome/Legendary/Brutal :lol:

When i tryed them on track, i found little to no squeal & some have said the same, for others it's more of a problem :|

It could be the pads glazing over - good excuse to book a track day & clean them up :lol: Or that as been said the copper slip drys out over time..For some there Anti squeal shims are missing/never were fitted when they got there car, These realy do help to stop squeal :idea:

I've spoken to Dav at Steels Honda & sadly the shims only come with the OEM pads (aprox £38 per set) .

Also i hope the Ceratec i have on order will work much better than copper slip, as it's made for the job....I may also look into tapering the top & bottom edges of the pads to see if that helps :idea:

From talking to people, the performance they get from there brakes now outweigh's the squeal by far - But this is an annoying pad problem for some that i would like to get sorted :wink:

Thks

Paul.

jonster

Advanced Member
I've been using EBC YellowStuff pads on my PaulG disks and they don't squeal at all and hardly produce any dust. As Paul knows I do plenty of trackdays with them and they are lasting very well. Never faded. I rate them way above DS2500's which I've used before. In fact I found them no better than stock pads.

Shins

Funny all this really, as I've been told the Mintex are quite an abrasive pad (i.e eat your discs rather than wear your pads) yet the Ferodos seem to do well on our cars, although some of the more full on track day lads now use the Ferodo DS3000, which is suppose to be an out and out track day pad????

What's the weight of a DC5?

Shins

Ok, so 100kg lighter than a Focus RS, so I'd of thought the Ferodos would work better on yours than ours? :? Just a thought that's all!

Paul G

Members
Gess it must be the DC5's that dont like the DS2500 pads, there's a few owners now that have told me they've tryed 2500's on there DC5 & felt no dif to the OEM pads :| ( i cooked them on my car on track )..

I've not tryed the DS3000's myself, 'but i no a man who has' :lol: & they badly scored his discs - I did look into it & was told the 3000's work ok as long as there kept at there working temp...Some thing strange is going on Ford V Honda !! Who's brakes are best :lol: :lol:

Maybe we could sort a RS/DC5 t.day & do some back to back testing :wink: I would love to see you RS boys try some F4 pads, i bet you would love them.

As far as wear gose, i've aways used Mintex & had no probs :) (Thats even with the full race spec pads).

Paul.

Paul G

Members
LeeH said:
Exactly where do you put the Ceratec Paul?
Sorry for slow reply...

Use it as you would Copper slip, but this is what it says on the box it comes in/on the tube's:

'Fitting new brake pads? Then you need CERA TEC' - Advanced non-metallic lubricant ideal for ABS systems.

Protects against corrosion, Metal free - ABS friendly.

Operating instructions:
Clean caliper & coat inside with CERA TEC, also piston heads & pad backing plates. (& the shims you should have :lol: )

Never coat friction material or discs!

Stops and prevents brake squeals.

The tubes are 75ml.

Hope that helps.....

Paul.

LeeH

Advanced Member
:lol: Cheers Paul, I have that blurb on my tube.......sorry mate.

I just cannot see how that stops squeals :? So what causes squeals then as I just presumed it was the friction of the pad and disc :?

Shins

paul G said:
Some thing strange is going on Ford V Honda !! Who's brakes are best :lol: :lol:

Maybe we could sort a RS/DC5 t.day & do some back to back testing :wink: I would love to see you RS boys try some F4 pads, i bet you would love them.

Paul.
Hey, now there is a day out I'd love to happen and reckon most of our lot would be up for that! :D Doing Donny in two weeks, the Ring in Sept, 30-130mph day sometime this year and would like to do Oulton too, I may be back on to do some inviting of you lot! :wink: :lol:

F4 pads, not heard of them? :?

Paul G

Members
LeeH said:
:lol: Cheers Paul, I have that blurb on my tube.......sorry mate.

I just cannot see how that stops squeals :? So what causes squeals then as I just presumed it was the friction of the pad and disc :?
Squeal - The contact between the pad & disc during braking creates the energy to produce the noise, but the actual squeal can be a combination of the disc,caliper & pad.

It happens when the pad grabs the disc & loads up, then unloads as there isn't enough pressure to hold it against the disc so it moves back - that happens at a high speed, the high speed giving the shrieking noise......

High temp grease ( CERA TEC ) to the back of the pad provides a damping medium between the piston & pad - Anti squeal shims are also very effective. You could also try CAREFULLY bending the s/steel plate, so that it applys a bit more pressure to the back edges of the pads.

The reduction/elimination of noise via a process of trial & error :roll: :wink:

Hope that helps, sorry for slow reply :oops:

Paul.